My finals prediction

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by falcon6, Aug 23, 2002.

1. I like San Jose vs. Dallas in the final. San Jose repeats with a 3-1 victory. Donovan scores 2 goals and gets 1 assist. He wins MVP. If San Jose does repeat can they go down as the best team in MLS history or is it still DC from 96-99?

2. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    best ever. probably even better than anything Real Madrid or ManU has put out there. but I think that goes without saying.

3. roarksown1

roarksown1 Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Playa del Rey, CA
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. Sorry.

This is FINALLY the year the Galaxy wins MLS Cup and solidifies their position as the top team in the history of the league. Besides Dallas, they're the only team to reach the Playoffs in every year since the league's existence and will (after they win this year) will have made it to MLS Cup four times.

It's the Galaxy's year.

4. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it's San Jose-Dallas in the final, I like Dallas' chances. San Jose has been pretty ordinary on larger fields this season.

5. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Re: Re: My finals prediction

Both Dallas an SJ suck on the road. 3 wins and 2 wins respectively. (not that anybody in the west is any better)

Actually the best road teams are the Fire and the Metros (each with 6 wins).

6. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: My finals prediction

In Dallas' defense, they may only have three wins on the road, but they do have five draws. 3-4-5 isn't such a bad road record.

7. butchiesboy

butchiesboy Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Brazil 2, Germany 0

8. viperdiablo21

viperdiablo21 Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Re: Re: My finals prediction

with all due respect the in the last two games these teams played the quakes have beaten u handily. as a matter of fact this season's series is 3-1 in favor of SJ

9. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: My finals prediction

Both games were at Spartan Stadium, which is more or less the point I was trying to make.

10. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    What does this post really mean?

11. GoFireGo

GoFireGo New Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Chicago
    Chicago Fire 3 San Jose 1

12. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: My finals prediction

Your point is well taken, but don't forget that not only does San Jose lead the season series 3-1 the aggregate score is 10-3. That's clear, total, butt-kickin' domination. Seems that San Jose has Dallas' number and I'm not sure how much difference a wide field will make. Hell, the Quakes won 2-0 on Dallas big ol' field. And, if I'm not mistaken, the Quakes also won 2-0 at New England this year, site of the MLS Cup. Big fields aren't the problem. It's road games. But for MLS Cup both teams will be on the road unless (snicker, snicker) New England (HA!) makes the finals (HAAAA!!!).
    Quakes roll Dallas.

Galaxy best team ever? Even if the Galaxy wins they're 1-3 in MLS cups. At least DC United is 3-1. Which would you rather have: Three championships or a lot of meaningless regular season wins.

13. ONE

ONE Member

Aug 11, 2000
    NOLA
    by your reasoning, the buffalo bills are the greatest NFL team of the 90's. sorry my man, its the championships that make you the "best team", not the failures...no matter how many times youve cocked it up.

14. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going out on a limb and predicting New England to defeat D.C. United 1-0.

Failing that, I'll go with Columbus 2-1 over Los Angeles.

15. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My finals prediction

In the opener, when Dallas was missing both Pareja and Vaca. When Dallas had their full lineup in July, they led 2-0 before the Quakes got a consolation goal in injury time.
    If I've somehow given the impression that any old team could beat the Quakes on a wide field, then I'm sorry. The New England Revolution are a crap team. They'll lose on almost any field. And when the Burn are missing both Pareja and Vaca in the same match, I don't like their odds against anyone either.

But against good teams on conventionally sized fields, San Jose is not a very good team. Against the rest of the top half of the league (Dallas, Los Angeles, Chicago, Columbus), San Jose is 1-4-1. That single solitary win was the aforementioned win against Dallas on opening night.

Here's the rundown:

2-0 at Dallas
    0-2 at Columbus
    1-1 at Chicago
    1-2 at Columbus
    1-2 at Los Angeles
    1-2 at Dallas

Moreover, while San Jose's home defensive record is superlative in the tight confines of Spartan Stadium (8 goals allowed in 12 matches for an average of 0.67), their road record is a bit more pedestrian with 15 goals allowed in 11 matches for an average of 1.36 GA per road game. Not bad, and in fact, it's near the top of the league, but it's hardly impenetrable. And if you look at those six results on the road against the rest of the top of the league, their road defensive record looks even worse against the teams that matter.

So unless San Jose is going to end up playing New England or DC United in the MLS Cup final, I'd say that they have reason to be concerned.

16. Yawn!

17. I would have agreed with this pick except Chicago has so many injuries. Losing Wolf for the season was the nail in the coffin.

18. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, El Jefe as the Rapids proved today (not that it needed to be proven again, but it was), San Jose is a terrible road team. Your point about that hurting them in MLS cup is certainly right on.
    I just don't think it's because of wide fields, I just think that they're a terrible road team in general. But maybe you're right. It's just seems that with Donovan, DeRosario, Graziani, Russell, Lagos, etc. ... they'd thrive on a wide-open field. But who knows? Something's wrong there so maybe it is the wide field.
    any chance we can move MLS cup to Spartan?

19. BWMcTell

BWMcTell New Member

Jul 2, 2002
    NYC
    The Rapids looked great today. They could definitely make a run in the playoffs. However, IMO the final will be Dallas v. Galaxy/Columbus. And Kyle Martino will beat out Brad Davis for rookie of the year.

20. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the players that you names are generally skilled, attacking players, more or less. I don't think they're the problem. Generally, the Quakes' problems on the road have been in the back. Their defenders are leaving way too much space for opposing players to operate. That space wouldn't normally be there at Spartan Stadium.

And it's hard for those players you listed to operate if the team as whole is constantly on its heels.

21. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

yup

22. Tejas

Tejas Member+

Jun 3, 2000
    Tejas
    I'm pulling for New England.

23. NACIONAL

NACIONAL New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Medellin, Colombia
    funny one....

columbus 2 dallas 1... i predict that finaly the team that deserved the throphy will win it this time....

24. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My finals prediction

Except Naperville, unfortunately.

Later,
    COZ

25. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I don't even know any Crew fans that are this optimistic about the Crew's chances to make the final, but if they do play LA I would like their chances.