My entire CD collection

Discussion in 'nicodemus Guestbook' started by nicodemus, Nov 20, 2004.

1. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    63. OMAR BASHIR AND FRIENDS - Flamenco Night

[​IMG]

Horrible album title, horrible album cover, thankfully...good album. Omar Bashir is son of Munir Bachir who we saw earlier on the thread (why the render their last names different in English is a mystery to me.) Unlike his father, who stuck to Iraqi classical and folk music, Omar likes to explore a little bit in addition to the traditional music. He likes exploring the link between Arabic music and Spanish music. This album finds him incorporating both Iraqi and Spanish elements into songs he's composed. Those two musics compliment each other well given the mixing of the two cultures in Spain several hundred years ago. I've heard other albums by him that I enjoy more, but this is the only one of his I own (it was a gift from a friend from Lebanon.)

2. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    64. ARNOLD BAX - Symphony no. 6

[​IMG]

Royal Scottish National Orchestra
    David Lloyd-Jones, conductor

Works included:
    • Symphony no. 6
    • Into the Twilight
    • Summer Music

Bax is a little known English composer that wrote some really good stuff. It's a shame that the rabid conservatism of the classical music scene only allows for about 10-15 composers to be performed with any regularity. There's some amazing stuff out there you aren't likely to ever hear in your local concert hall. This is some of it.

3. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    65. ISABEL BAYRAKDARIAN - Joyous Light

[​IMG]

Isabel Bayrakdarian may very well have the most beautiful voice on earth. Seriously, I could listen to this woman sing an insurance policy or sing the phone book and I would be mesmerized. She's a Canadian national of Armenian heritage. I've wanted to see her perform since I heard this album a few years ago. She's playing in Birmingham, AL the week before my birthday, but I'm not going to be able to go because that's about two weeks before my wife's due date on the baby and you can't do air travel then because it can induce labor :( I don't think she does too many recital dates so it's killing me to miss it. Ignore the cheesy cover and the cheesy album title, it's amazing stuff. If any of you have seen the movie Ararat (directed by Atom Egoyan), she sings on that soundtrack and she did some of the voicework on the Lord of the Rings soundtracks too.

4. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    66. ISABEL BAYRAKDARIAN - Azulao

[​IMG]

Another album from Bayrakdarian, this one is all of Spanish music. Her voice is astoundingly beautiful, as usual. She's also looking great on the album cover. She can sing like an angel, looks like a pageant queen, and has the brains to match. She holds a degree in biomedical engineering. Her voice lessons in college were merely to help her become a better singer for her church choir, but she ended up winning a few singing contests and is now a full time singer.

5. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    67. AMY BEACH - Gaelic Symphony

[​IMG]

Works included:
    • Piano Concerto
    • Gaelic Symphony

Alan Feinberg, piano
    Nashville Symphony Orchestra
    Kenneth Schermerhor, conductor

Amy Beach was a woman in a man's world. Not too many female classical composers today, much less back in her day (1867-1944). Her music is finally starting to get the attention it deserves.

6. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    68. THE BEATLES - Revolver

[​IMG]

Yes, I own a Beatles CD. As I'm sure most of you've noticed by now, I've got an obscure disc or two in the collection. I'm making a point to start obtaining some more mainstream stuff. I've been getting more into the Beatles lately. Not that I've ever hated them, but I've never just been their #1 fan. I guess I've rebelled against them because I think they're a bit overrated despite the massive influence they've had on music (even influencing my favorite groups I'm sure.) I guess I'd be more floored by their sound if I heard them when they first came out, but since sound and music have progressed so much more, I guess they don't just completely blow my mind like they did for previous generations. I've probably even railed against them on these boards. Well, I'm out of the Beatles closet, I like them. I look forward to getting more of their catalogue eventually.

7. fiddlestick

fiddlestick New Member

Jul 17, 2001
    The 4 8 0
    Jump ahead and play some Pantera.

8. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been listening to "Walk" on and off all day. LOVE that song. Horrible, horrible, horrible what happened.

9. shwantzme

shwantzme Member

Jul 11, 2003
    The Old Dominion
    kind of ironic that you got to this one on light of today's news

10. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I thought that was a bit bizarre as well.

11. JPH

JPH BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 18, 1998
    Jersey Shoreish
    The Official JPH/Nico CD Overlap Count: 2
    * They Might Be Giants - Lincoln
    * The Beatles - Revolver

12. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey hey hey! There's no [R] in the thread title. We haven't reached TMBG yet. Don't spoil the suprise for people. :D

13. JPH

JPH BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 18, 1998
    Jersey Shoreish
    D'oh! You mentioned it in another thread, so I thought it was common knowledge. Sorry. :D

14. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001

[​IMG]

15. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    69. LUDWIG VAN BEETHOVEN - Symphonies Nos. 2 & 4

[​IMG]

(no album photo available)

Works included:
    • Symphony no. 2
    • Symphony no. 4

BBC Philharmonic
    Gianandrea Noseda, conductor

Not too much to say other than most people really dig Beethoven. I've seen other portraits of him that look quite different and probably more realistic, but I like the profound, tempestuous Beethoven.

16. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    70. LUDWIG VAN BEETHOVEN - Symphony no. 9

[​IMG]

Chicago Symphony Orchestra & Chorus
    Sir Georg Solti, conductor

Beethoven's 9th symphony is one of the warhorses of classical music. Long piece, massive. Great stuff.

17. El Toro

El Toro New Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Fountain & Fairfax
    That cover looks like the symphony may have a backing disco beat...

18. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oops. I forgot to add that it is a re-mix. ;)

19. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    71. LUDWIG VAN BEETHOVEN - The Five Piano Concertos

[​IMG]

Three disc set of Beethoven's five piano concertos.

Murray Perahia, piano
    Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra
    Bernard Haitink, conductor

By the way, "Concertgebouw" is a really cool word. Props to the Dutch on that one.

20. El Toro

El Toro New Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Fountain & Fairfax
    Sweet. It just reminds me of "Hooked on Classics" for some reason.

21. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    72. LUDWIG VAN BEETHOVEN - Face to Face With Beethoven

[​IMG]

To be honest, I'm ready to get past the Beethoven portion of the collection (just a few more to go.) I like his stuff sometimes, but if I'm not in the mood, man, I'm not in the mood to hear it, and I'm not in the mood to hear it at present :) (Proof provided by that ridiculous run on sentence.)

Anyway, it does feature a violinist I really like, Anne-Sophie Mutter, whose website is in English and German. I've always had a thing for her in that "she's ludicrously talented kind of way."

[​IMG]

Oh yeah, while most classical music albums are in the running for worst album cover ever, this one also has a horrible name too. That album cover is just dreadful, a woman standing by a bust of Beethoven in a blank room painted in neutral colors. I want to revolutionize the classical music CD cover industry. They could do better getting local art students to do it for free just to build up their portfolios.

22. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    73. LUDWIG VAN BEETHOVEN - Fidelio

[​IMG]

This is a scratchy old mono recording from 1950 that I won off of eBay for about $2-$3. I'm not a big opera fan (though I do like some) and particulalry not German opera, but I got this because I wanted to hear the music associated with the password for:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That being said, it's pretty good and the scratchiness kind of makes it cooler than if it were hi-fi.

23. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    74. LUDWIG VAN BEETHOVEN - String Quartets

(no album artwork available)

[​IMG]

Photo is of the performers, the Artemis Quartet. I guess that's about as punk rock as you can look being a string quartet. Actually, that's not true as we'll discover on my Kronos Quartet recordings somewhere down the line.

Anyway, here's what's on this CD (the final Beethoven CD of this little game):

• String Quartet in G, op. 18/2
    • String Quartet in C Sharp Minor, op. 131

The next disc is a total change of pace....

24. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    75. BEGINNER'S GUIDE TO BOLLYWOOD

[​IMG]

Three disc set of music I should be embarrassed to like, and kind of am.

Here's the breakdown of theme:
    • Disc 1: Vintage Bollywood
    • Disc 2: Funky Bollywood
    • Disc 3: Modern Bollywood

All bad and all glorious for different reasons. You've got to love a film industry that's entirely centered around musicals....

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    76. MAXIM BEREZOVSKY - Glory

[​IMG]

Berezovsky is an 18th-century Ukranian composer. This is liturgical music written for use in the Orthodox Church. Beautiful stuff.