My entire CD collection

Discussion in 'nicodemus Guestbook' started by nicodemus, Nov 20, 2004.

1. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    I didn't know they called it a day. Not surprising really as their number of shows had trickled to a drip.

2. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I never got any official word or anything, but their website is down, and Jason said it was a done deal as far as he knew.

3. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    374. IRON & WINE - The Sea & the Rhythm

[​IMG]

5 song EP with a few real gems on it. The first 2-3 especially.

4. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    375. IRON & WINE - Our Endless Numbered Days

[​IMG]

The sound expands quite a bit with the addition of percussion and other instrumentalists. More of a band feel than previous releases. One of my favorites of last year. Great album cover too.

5. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    376. IRON & WINE - Woman King

[​IMG]

On the one hand, I always wish EPs were full length CDs, but I also realize a lot of time band will released full lengths one year and EPs the next. That way they get to put something out every year, and that works for me. Some great tunes on this new EP that just came out a few days ago.

6. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    377. CHRIS ISAAK - Silvertone

[​IMG]

Pretty good debut. Good album, but nothing spectacular. Some really solid tunes though. Two of these songs later showed up on Baja Sessions and they were wise to do so. They took good songs and vastly improved them on the later recording.

7. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    378. CHRIS ISAAK - Chris Isaak

[​IMG]

Second album is a vast improvement over the first. Some really good songs including "Blue Hotel."

8. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    379. CHRIS ISAAK - Heart Shaped World

[​IMG]

Three albums into his career, Isaak finally delivers a fantastic album. This shows the days when a label would stick it out with an artist for a little while until they hit their stride. Plenty of great bands aren't given three albums to hit their stride these days. They're lucky if they aren't gone after their first if it isn't a mega-hit. They might be given two. Hopefully the industry will return to this formula. If he'd started his career a decade later, we might not know who he is. Includes the one song everyone knows him for, "Wicked Game." Other standouts include "Blue Spanish Sky," "In the Heat of the Jungle," and "Don't Make Me Dream About You."

9. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    380. CHRIS ISAAK - San Francisco Days

[​IMG]

For some reason, it took him 4 years to put out his next record. Luckily for everyone involved, it was worth the wait. "Can't Do a Thing (To Stop Me)," "Solitary Man," and a few others on the disc rank among my all-time favorites of his.

10. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    381. CHRIS ISAAK - Forever Blue

[​IMG]

This may very well be my favorite album of his. He's had plenty of good break up songs and longing songs, but this album is full of 'em. "Forever Blue" the songs is one of the best tunes he's ever written, "Goin' Nowhere" is a harsh take on an old flame, "Go Walking Down There" is probably the most angry he's ever gotten on record (who knew he had it in him?) This disc also provided a song that would be a hit for him many many years after it was released. "Baby Did a Bad Bad Thing" appeared in the movie Eyes Wide Shut and gave this album some much-deserved attention several years later.

11. shwantzme

shwantzme Member

Jul 11, 2003
    The Old Dominion
    Fight For Your Mind makes it twelve, I think.

12. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    382. CHRIS ISAAK - Baja Sessions

[​IMG]

Recorded in, you guessed it, Baja. Pretty loose record, but it's a style that suits his music well. A few tunes from earlier albums, some new material and few great covers including Roy Orbison's "Only the Lonely" and one I'm not sure who did it originally, but the song is "South of the Border (Down Mexico Way)"

13. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    383. CHRIS ISAAK - Speak of the Devil

[​IMG]

Underrated album that is one of my favorites. "Please," "7 Lonely Nights," "Super Magic 2000," "Like the Way She Moves" and the title track are some of my favorite CI tunes.

14. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    384. CHRIS ISAAK - Always Got Tonight

[​IMG]

Not his strongest effort, but still very enjoyable and definately worth owning.

15. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    385. ISTANA MANGKUNEGARAN - Court Gamelan, Volume II

[​IMG]

Slower gamelan music from the Mangkunegaran court. Beautiful stuff. Different, and not for everyone, but quite stunning if you can get used to it.

16. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Letter.....J

[​IMG]

17. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    386. JADE BRIDGE - Ambush On All Sides

[​IMG]

Chinese classical music performed by a quartet: instruments are erhu, pipa, yangqin, dizi. Pretty good, but I don't listen to it all that much. I will probably sell it to make room for something else since I have albums of Chinese music I listen to more frequently.

18. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    13 for me now with "Betty" plus three I&W discs

19. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    387. THE JAYHAWKS - Blue Earth

[​IMG]

My least favorite Jayhawks album, but it's still a darn good record. Gives a glimpse of the brilliance that lay ahead for these guys and gals.

20. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    388. THE JAYHAWKS - Hollywood Town Hall

[​IMG]

A truly essential album that will enhance any collection. Not my favorite album by them, but it ranks way up there. Some amazing songs on this disc like "Waiting For The Sun" (not a Doors cover), "Settled Down Like Rain," "Crowded in the Wings," and many more.

21. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    389. THE JAYHAWKS - Tomorrow the Green Grass

[​IMG]

The last Jayhawks album with Mark Olson on it. A really solid disc, but not as good as Hollywood Town Hall.

22. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    390. THE JAYHAWKS - Sound of Lies

[​IMG]

The first Jayhawks album without Mark Olson and my favorite Jayhawks record. Gary Louris' creative genius starts to really shine on this one. Not that he and Olson weren't a great songwriting team, but I like the group better under the leadership of Louris. I helped promote a show by the band on this tour.

23. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    391. THE JAYHAWKS - Smile

[​IMG]

A splendid, but probably underrated record. This is one of the albums that figures big in my relationship with my wife. I mean that in the sense that this record is kind of the "soundtrack" of a certain very meaningful period in our lives. Every time I put it on it transports me back to that summer when we decided we wanted to get married.

Sappiness over. :)

24. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    I love this cd.

25. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    392. THE JAYHAWKS - Live From the Women's Club

[​IMG]

Live acoustic show recorded on 26 April 2002. I think it can only be purchased at shows.