My entire CD collection

Discussion in 'nicodemus Guestbook' started by nicodemus, Nov 20, 2004.

1. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Inspired by JPH, I've decided to listen to all of my CD collection straight through in alphabetical order. I take the "turning it into a thread" idea from GringoTex's movie thread.

Now, sometimes the alpha order is a bit bizarre because I've selected to aphabetize it because of movie title if a soundtrack, sometimes by composer, if it's a compilation, then sometimes I use the compilation title. However, that's irrelevant (as is this whole dumb idea.) Regardless of that fact, it seems like a fun thing to do.

Feel free to chime in with comments. I'm sure you'll find some glaring omissions as well as some suprise inclusions. Also, some of this stuff is my wife's, but I decided to include it since it all rests on the same shelves. No need to discriminate. :p

2. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. John Adams - Naive and Sentimental Music

[​IMG]

John Adams is one of the United State's greatest living composers and arguably one of America's greatest composers of all time. The Worcester, Massachusetts native now lives in California and has created a wide array of music (concertos, works for theatre, chamber music, opera, etc.) and worked with some of the most respected performers and orchestras in the world. I wish I had more of his music, but I don't. I will rectify that someday. Unlike others in the "American minimalist" camp, Adams hasn't limited himself to remaining in that style like Philip Glass or Steve Reich (both who have been emerging from that shell a bit themselves.)

[​IMG]

Anyway, Naive and Sentimental Music is quite different from all the other Adams I've heard. Less modernistic than a lot of his work, it will surely find appreciation from a wider audience than something like Shaker Loops or Harmonium will.

3. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2. John Adams & Louis Andriessen: BBC Music Magazine October 2002 CD

John Adams
    • Short Ride in a Fast Machine
    • The Chairman Dances
    • Harmonium

Louis Andriessen
    • De Snelheid

A CD of music by two composers. This is the only other Adams music I own. Good stuff, but definately more typical of what people think of when they think of Adams. "Short Ride in a Fast Machine" is a great little piece and Harmonium is one of his more famous works, though I don't think it particularly ranks amongst his greatest works. I enjoy it, I just think he has better stuff.

Louis Andriessen I don't know squat about other than what's on this CD and that fact that he's Dutch. I like it, but haven't explored his music further.

I don't have a cover image for this CD because it isn't commercially available.

[​IMG]
    John Adams

[​IMG]
    Louis Andriessen

4. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3. Afghanistan Untouched

[​IMG]

Field recordings that pre-date the 1973 overthrow of Zahir Shah that plunged Afghanistan into chaos. Features music of the various ethnic groups of Afghanistan: Tajik, Uzbek, Hazara, Pashtun, Herati, Kazakh, and Turkmen.

This 2-disc set is hardcore folk music. Field recordings always are, but considering these are over 30 years old, they're even rougher than what comes out today.

5. JPH

JPH BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 18, 1998
    Jersey Shoreish
    First off, I am humbled by being a source of inspiration. Secondly, I am very eager to follow the progress of your project. Thirdly...no ABBA???? :D

6. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, a great idea is a great idea. Gotta give credit where credit is due. I think I actually own CDs I haven't even opened, so it makes perfect sense (kind of) to do this.

You'll probably be scratching your head quite a bit.

Knowing Me, Knowing You....Ahhhhhhhaaaaaaa

Let's be honest, I don't think anyone is suprised by their absence from this list. :p

7. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4. AFGHAN WHIGS - Gentlemen (single)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love this song. It's the only one on the CD. I used to have the full-length album back in high school, but I either lost it or sold it along the way. I'm glad I still have the single, because it is one awesome friggin' song. I think I've listened to it about 5 times in a row now.

8. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    5. AFRO-CUBAN ALL STARS - A Toda Cuba le Gusta

[​IMG]

The jazzier version of the Buena Vista Social Club that didn't quite take off as much, but still is a fantastic band (no suprise as this album has a lot of the same members.)

I saw these guys in concert a few years back and it was awesome.

9. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    I can't wait to see all the cds either so I can know what I want to borrow from you and I can also know what to make fun of you about.

10. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    6. AFRO-CUBAN ALL STARS - Live in Japan

[​IMG]

Live CD/DVD set (literally the same music on both) that features the ACAS lineup one would see today at one of their shows. No longer riding the back of the Buena Vista Social Club craze (well, not too much anyway), this is a great little set. It's funny watching these Cuban musicians rip it up in front of a Japanese audience. I don't know why that amuses me, but it's just funny to me. Must have something to do with hearing "domo arigato" in a Cuban accent. Also, hearing the crowd yell after he addresses them in Spanish is funny. I don't imagine that room is full of Spanish speakers. All that aside though, it's a great show.

11. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    7. AHN TRIO - Piano Trios: Dvorak, Suk, Shostakovich

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Classical trio of piano, cello & violin. Three sisters (one set of twins.) Julliard School-trained musicians that also had a brief stint as GAP models. I was working as a concert promoter several years ago, and one of my main responsibilities was entertaining the performers when they came into town. The three days they were in town were some of the easiest work days I've ever had. Going out to expensive restaurants and bars with gorgeous Korean women and having your company pay for it all...yeah...that was torture. ;) Amazingly, they're just as talented as they are good looking and are really nice people too.

12. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    8. AHN TRIO - Ahn-Plugged

[​IMG]

This CD finds the Ahn Trio straying away from traditional repertoire. Most of the pieces here are by living composers (Leonard Bernstein & Astor Piazzolla being the exceptions.) Mostly stuff in neo-romantic vein. Eric Ewazen's "The Diamond World" is splendid as is Michael Nyman's heart-wrenching "The Heart Asks Pleasure First" (from the movie The Piano.) I wish they'd left the percussion off of some of these pieces, because I think they work better without it. The Piazzolla pieces are gorgeous. They've also done a David Bowie/Pat Metheny tune on here. Two pieces by classmate Kenji Bunch round out the album. This is my favorite of the CDs they've put out.

13. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those of you following along so far, just to let you know, there is more rock and popular music coming, but for some reason, the "A" and "B" sections of my collection are heavy on world music and classical, although there is some rock and reggae in the "As" and "Bs" too.

14. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    As your brother, it was torture having to go out with you while they were here also. Thanks for nothing!
    :D

15. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    9. ALFONSO X EL SABIO - Cantigas de Santa Maria

[​IMG]

Music written in honor of the Virgin Mary by Alfonso X El Sabio in the 13th century. Alfonso was King of Castille & Leon in Spain. Besides the obvious Spanish sound you would expect, at times, the music has a heavy Middle Eastern flavor, due to the large Islamic presence in Spain at the time. The musicians on this disc are primarily Spanish & Morroccan.

16. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You and Jason were pathetic that night we were at The Garage. :p

17. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    how so you starfvcker?

18. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was kidding. Lighten up. :D

19. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    I was too you tosspot. :)

20. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You gotta use the winkie then man!

;)

21. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    10. HOSSEIN ALIZADEH - Sobhgahi

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Hossein Alizadeh is a living legend in Persian music. He's a multi-instrumentalist and composer. He's worked with all of the big names in Persian music today and has been at the forefront of popularizing Persian music outside of Iran. It's incredibly powerful stuff that unfortunately hasn't been heard by more people. This disc features instrumental solos, ensemble pieces and vocal pieces. Powerful disc.

22. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    11. HOSSEIN ALIZADEH - Torkaman

[​IMG]

This CD is of a setar solo. (Not a sitar, the setar is a different, Persian instrument.) Usually it's at least accompanied by some sort of percussion, but this find Alizadeh by himself, and in fine form (as usual.) This one isn't one for beginners, but once you get a little more familiar with Persian music, it'd be a great one to have.

23. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    13. HOSSEIN ALIZADEH - The Art of Improvisation

[​IMG]

That's right folks, more Alizadeh, and there's more still to come. This disc finds him playing tar, which is kind of like the setar, but bassier. Good disc. Khaladj on percussion again.

25. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    14. HOSSEIN ALIZADEH - Musique Iranienne: Saz-e No

[​IMG]

Great trio album, with Alizadeh on three different instruments. He's joined by a percussionist and a female singer, Afsaneh Rassa'i. That's really cool, because most Iranian classical singers are men, so it's a bit of a treat to hear a female singer. The music here is quite energetic and powerful.