"My Best Game Ever for the National Team" Series: Kasey Keller

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by BED-STYPUNDIT, Apr 15, 2006.

1. BED-STYPUNDIT

BED-STYPUNDIT New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Brooklyn/Boston
    With the World Cup less than two months away, let us highlight the greatest international moments for US soccer's finest, those expected to take part in the biggest international sporting event of them all.

In this inagural addition, the player highlighted today is Borussia Monchangladbach goalkepper Kasey Keller, the probable starter for the United States in all three group matches and hopefully more after that. What was the greatest game that this distinguished keeper has played for his country.

Great performances aganist Brazil and many others have etched into our minds, but what has been the most memorable performance for Kasey Keller?

2. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This may be the Big Soccer equivalent of a sitter...

Brazil, 1998 Gold Cup

Romario called it the greatest performance he'd ever seen from a goalkeeper.

That's good enough for me.

3. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Brazil match does it for me too.

4. RSwenson

RSwenson Member

Feb 1, 2000
    US-Guatemala in DC during qualifying fo the '98 WC... went "body surfing" in the Sam's army section after the game...

...oh, you meant on the field performance;)

rand

5. dcochran

dcochran Member+

Feb 17, 1999
    Tiverton, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best moment -- Keller stones Romario from about under ten yards out with a quantum move (had to be in two places at once to get to the ball) to his right. Romario stops, stunned, and then walks up and shakes Kasey's hand.

6. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The previously mentioned Brazil match for me. About 10 minutes from time, after another incredible save, the Brazillians all had this bewildered, bemused look on their faces. Like, we can't score against this guy.

7. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We started with a softball pitch here. I look forward to this series once we get to some of the harder players. No doubt that the Brazil win is Keller's greatest moment, at least until sometime this summer ;)

8. BED-STYPUNDIT

BED-STYPUNDIT New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Brooklyn/Boston
    Yup, had to finese it in first and see how it works out :)

9. paks

paks Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Eugene, Or
    I have heard about this game, but I don't think I have ever seen this game. Does anyone have any hightlights of Kasey's play?

10. Dynamo73

Dynamo73 New Member

Aug 22, 2002
    Cleveland
    I remember reading somewhere that a reporter asked Keller about Romairo's comment that it was the best performance he'd ever seen in his life. An unimpressed Keller responded: "Well, what else could he say?"

11. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Edge.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I believe there might be highlights if you surf around the "sights and sounds" on USSoccer.com (if it even still exists). Highlights were posted this summer.