My answer to the defunct wizardfan.com

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by ojsgillt, Nov 14, 2003.

1. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    www.geocities.com/kc_wiz_fan/

Ok I know it is a work in progress. I am now opening it up for criticism, so I can take those suggestions and put them into it. I am not a web guru or anything I am just using yahoo webbuilder. Any help at all is useful especially with graphics, and making tables.

The thing that stand out to me most is that the front page needs a lot more, but overall it is a cheap and functional replacement.

I have more ideas that would make the upkeep/update more functional. I will dive into those later.

Any feedback is great and appreciated. No comments to harsh, no comments to complimentary.

2. kckicker23

kckicker23 Member

Jun 10, 2003
    KC
    I think this is a great idea and a great start. Certainly with time it will get better, but for now this is a great replacement to wizardfan.com. I especially liked the advertisement for bigsoccer; maybe this will get more Wizard fans involved and help create a more festive and exciting atmosphere at Arrowhead. Good work!

3. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    You should add:
    match reports
    reports from the Cauldron
    photos of the cauldron and other places
    road trip stories
    team news
    tailgate info
    etc...

4. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    You're more than welcome to photos from Wade, Scott, and I.

5. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    I want to contribute match reports! I'll email you one after tomorrow night's game. Suggestion: to get more on the front page make insert (kinda like MLSnet.com) some of the newer news stories, updates, etc. then have the older stuff on inside the menu links.

6. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two other things on the news page:

List the items in reverse chrono order. New stuff first makes us look more important.

Have the links open up in a new window. I don't know if you can add the 'target="new"' tag within the Yahoo! editor, but if you can, you should.

7. Masfaygo

Masfaygo Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Kansas City
    web page idea

how about adding a page that is set up with all the chants that are done during the games. so the other fans can learn them, i.e. chant sheet.

also agree with Ben add more pictures & news to front page. it needs something not sure what

but other then that you have a great start to a cool site. keep up the good work

8. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    Just updated some more stuff.

Thanks Andy, your pictures makes it tons more visually appealing.

Awesome Ben, match reports are something I kind of dread doing. It makes a big difference when people help out on copy. The more people who help out the merrier.

I haven't put up a Mystics sign up thing or anything, because this isn't an official mystic site. It could be if the powers at be decide it is then an info and sign up page will be created.

Some new pages that I haven't made yet but want to are watch parties, cauldron/chants and road trips. Maybe even some merchandise, like ECG's and Scarves or if anybody wants to sell some stuff like bobbleheads, old jersey's. One other thing web wise is a newsletter. Probably put out a couple times a week with info about watchparties, tailgate menu's (keg?), links to various news articles, and match reports. Probably one on Monday and the other on Thursday.

This is not my website. This is a Wizard's Fan's website. This is how I see it can be managed with a group effort. My theory is the more people working on it the more often it will get updated. Being it is on yahoo all you need to know is the password to update from anywhere.

I am willing to take charge of it and make sure some things get done update the front page, news page, and send out newsletters.

Someone else can update the Tailgate Menu, and Receipes.

A couple of other people can write up match reports and personal accounts from road trips, e-mail them to me and I will post them up.

Another person can update watch parties and road trips.

Basically people don't have to run an entire site, just 1 or 2 pages.

I will do it all for now, and get the pages up and going, and will keep doing it until it somebody takes over. I am using Yahoo webbuildiner and it is the easiest damn thing to use. I already have a template made up so all anybody needs to do is fill out the main white screen.

9. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    I see nearly all the games, and tape the home games. If one other person wants to volunteer with me (preferably someone who usually has a different view on the Wizards, Dave? :) ) I think two of us can handle the game reviews.

Matt, you're awesome. I've bookmarked the site, its official now.

Its also going in my sig. I recommend as many Wizards fans as possible do so as well so we can get people to see what we're doing.

10. Lightsoccer

Lightsoccer New Member

Nov 10, 2003
    Website's looking good!

Suggestion: even if it becomes a quasi-official Mystics site, just have a link to a separate Mystics section - don't want to alienate those folks who may have bad associations with the word "Mystics" as it relates to the Wizards

It's a fan site, so it should appeal to everyone, not just those who already read everything they can find.

Match reports are a great idea - more than one per game is even better, as different people have different perspectives (visually and psychologically). I tend to really like reading "non-professional" match reports....the opinions make me think about certain things in different ways

Oh, last but not least.......are you going to have an email link to the webmaster (you)? I was just going to email my comments, but no simple way on the website. You could always set up an email address just for that purpose so it doesn't get mixed in with your personal email.

11. rallen

rallen New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Shawnee, Ks
    The site is looking good.
    I would like to see more pics. I love Andy's shot of Igor and Klien running in synch. Then again, Andy and Yellow Card Journalism do a great job.

Keep up the good work.

12. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    yup :)

13. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    Content is good. No problem with any of it. I think you have the right idea going. It could look flashier, thou. I know that's not what you're trying to do. If you give me a few days I can write some javascript and some java and make it look a lot better. I can clean up some of the HTML, too. I can do all the tables and a better navigation bar if you like. Does geocities still allow you to ftp pure html, or do you have to upload via the pagebuilder?

14. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    I think you can ftp it. I have no problem with anything anybody wants to do to help. Just as long as it doesn't get to complicated when i am trying to update it(wich is multiple times a day right now but will taper off once the site is finished). I know relitively little about html and absolutely nothing about java.

15. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    Generally, as long as you don't muss up the code, you're ok. You usually put it on one page (say the nav. frame) and just update the other pages. I'll work on it once I get back to Kansas and my comp.

16. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    A pictures page with captions under each saying who/what it is. That way people can identify with those of us in the section.

17. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    That may get you into legal trouble. I'd think that you'd have to get permission from every person that you identified by name. ESPECIALLY the minors (LSN, etc.)

18. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    If you are in a public place then you are subject to being photographed. A name is also public knowledge.

19. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    I'm not sure it would be that big a deal would it? Especially since the site is not for profit. Maybe I'm wrong, any of the law types know much about this?

20. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    It doesn't matter even if you making $1000 a picture from it. If you are in public you have a substandard lower right to privacy as far as pictures go.

Think about all those tabloids and Girls Gone Wild's The stars that have their name and face flashed all over the place, and the spring breakers flashing there boobs don't get any profit.

21. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    though some of 'em certainly deserve to

22. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    www.geocities.com/kc_wiz_fan

News stories are always updated. The Cauldron Page is up. Plus we have our first Exclusive!!!!! Good Job Ben.

keep the comments coming, they are helping alot.

23. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Eh, it was early Sunday morning and I kinda had a weak finish. I'll do better next season.
    Oh and Matt, help by editing please. I found at least one error in my article.

I like the Cauldron page and our pic on the front page.

24. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Please post any firm activity or the casuals culture of Arrowhead :)
    lol jk

25. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I am getting a broken link on the chants page.

Is that just me?