My 2022 World Cup Group Stage Predictions: What do you think?

Discussion in 'World Cup 2022 - Qatar' started by Mean Machine, Apr 1, 2022.

1. ripalino

ripalino Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Did I write anything wrong you clown ?

Cosmin10 repped this.
  2. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    literally pushed Argentina the whole way with very ordinary squad of players, your analysis is a joke

Jon Stakes repped this.
  3. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    a bit confused Paul, he can call me a clown in response but that’s ok? Is this because he’s Brazilian and I’m Portuguese Australian. A bit of consistency would be great tiger. Especially considering his response was after your post warning me about the use of the word clown.

Jon Stakes repped this.
  4. Jon Stakes

Jon Stakes Member+

Egypt
    Nov 18, 2022
    You wrote "what are you on about" (barely ad hominem). He called you "a clown".

Its like getting a yellow card for a mild tackle, while the other guy gets off scot free for spitting.

5. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    I called him a clown which was edited by the moderator for full transparency.

Jon Stakes repped this.
  6. Jon Stakes

Jon Stakes Member+

Egypt
    Nov 18, 2022
    Ok. not my fight

The Special One repped this.
  7. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Our tournament is over now but I think everyone involved in the Australian Squad can hold their heads high. The players performed above everyone's expectations and fought hard to the finish. The effort and discipline was outstanding. The schedule was also brutal for the players of both sides. There were some very tired bodies out there when full time blew. I didn't see the normal level of celebration from most of the Argentinian players when the whistle blew. I saw a lot of tired players showing some relief it was over and it took a few minutes of recovery for the celebrations to start in earnest. The physical efforts of all players out there on both sides was outstanding.

8. Jon Stakes

Jon Stakes Member+

Egypt
    Nov 18, 2022
    All things aside... still can't get over the fact that Koul didn't score though. Would have been a beautiful world cup moment.

9. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Yes it would but you have to give the keeper some credit for the save as well. It's a shame Behic's shot got blocked at the end of his run. That would have been one of the goals of the tournament from a defender.

Kamtedrejt and Jon Stakes repped this.
  10. Idunno if that's a good thing. The Orange Squad has put on the pitch a boring way of play and spent about 1 match energy in their 4 games.

11. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    I think the Dutch look very German in their performances and Argentina will need to greatly improve their performance to get ti the semis.

12. ripalino

ripalino Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #3312 ripalino, Dec 4, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
    But I never started it. You are the guy who did.

13. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    Bro two wrongs doesn’t make a right. I was wrong but fair is fair. I said it as a fan of Australia, who you were disrespecting, players who gave it everything, I wish my other team Portugal had half the heart of the Aussies.

14. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    I will say having watched all of Argentinas games and only catching the Brazil argentine games in commebol, Scaloni has really made a rod for his back building the whole game plan around Messi.

Flood the midfield with players to limit Messi’s touches and are the Argentine fullbacks or wide men really going to do much against quality opposition, im not so sure. I’m surprised how one dimensional and reliant on the ageing magician they are. Say what will
    About him but Van Gaal tactically is excellent and he has both the defenders and midfielders to blunt Argentinas game plan

15. ripalino

ripalino Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I am sorry if I did that dude. Maybe I expected a bit more quality from a R16 team.

16. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Unless there is a change in the rules of the game, the real "quality" that matters in football is the one that enables your team to win on the scoreboard fair and square, without help from referees and clearly bogus calls. Australia advanced to the R16 with 6 points without any help from anyone except the effort by its players. It lost a close and contested match to Argentina, where until Argentina were able to force a blunder for their 2nd goal, besides Messi's goal Argentina had done nothing that showed more quality than Australia. For a while, with a 2 goal lead, and with Messi now finding more space against a somewhat demoralized Australia, Argentina began creating some clear cut chances. Chances that didn't translate into a goal or two because enough quality wasn't shown by Argentina while Australia's keeper made amends for his forced blunder as well. Once Australia were able to cut Argentina's lead under somewhat fortuitous circumstances, it was only Argentina that had something to celebrate when the final whistle came. Their players knew full well that they had luckily dodged one bullet and with any more time on the clock, they could be called to dodge more notwithstanding the lack of "quality" you saw on Australia's squad.

Domitian and Kamtedrejt repped this.
  17. ripalino

ripalino Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Ya i agree but still the difference in quality was palpable. The aussies were getting the ball but were easily dispossessed . How many times they really threatened the Argentine goalie in the whole match? It's not important as to how many times you get the ball What's important is what you do with it. I agree australia gave their all. But the result is a loss ( the scoreline looks more competitive than what it actually was ) . Anyway I am not discrediting australia. Well done

18. You gould see that in the two first goals against the USA, where the Orange Squad "arranged" the US players by playing the ball around to get them into positions for a lethal execution. For the first goal it took a Dutch record 20 uninterupted passes to the goal scored. The second one wasnot accidentally a copy of the first one.

Kamtedrejt repped this.
  19. I only watch the Orange Squad matches, so I've no clue about the quality of play of the other teams, but it sounds like the Aussies have put a drain on the batteries of the Argies.
    Nice.
    The Orange Squad has been strolling for 4 matches now, hardly ever switching up from first gear but when necesary.
    I saw a table with efforts made by players in distance covered etc. I didnot see any Orange Squad player but Dumfries with sprints.
    LvG mantra for this WC:D

Iranian Monitor and Kamtedrejt repped this.
  20. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Holland looked very good against the US. You could see Holland totally dominating even when they didn't have the ball, which was often the case. It was a game where you had to watch, and not try to imagine based on stats, as all the stats (except the one that counts on the scoreboard) favored the US: Shots (SOG) USA 17(8) v Holland 11(6) . Passes (pass accuracy %)/Possession: USA 569 (83%)/59% v Holland 414 (76%)/41%. Yet, I don't think you will find anyone who will dispute the fact that Holland outclassed the US.

21. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    I already said this in the match thread but Argentina wasted the first 45 minutes with a line up that was never going to work.
    With two players incapable of running (Gomez and Messi) it was impossible to put any pressure on the australian CBs who were clearly happy to simply pass the ball around for 45 minutes. Thus, half of the match went by without anything happening other than the goal. The same happened against the Saudis (with Gomez starting) Argentina couldn't put any pressure on the weak saudi CBs and only relied on through balls to create some chances (which ended in off-sides).

It was fortunate for Argentina that Gomez got injured 4 minutes into the second half and switched to a 3-5-2. Already the second goal was the result of two players pressing together and not just an isolated Alvarez running around like a headless chicken getting no help as in the 1st half.

Cosmin10 repped this.
  22. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
  23. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Maybe, but don't underestimate both the tactical and psychological impact of a 2 goal lead by the favored side. Yet, the reason 2:0 is also considered a dangerous score is because without the 3rd and instead a goal by the other side, the psychological pendulum can swing suddenly and dramatically.

Anti Santos repped this.
  24. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I think that one factor that nobody has really talked about is the condensed schedule. Teams had to play three group stage games in nine days, and then a R16 match 2-3 days after that.

This really helped the better teams (i.e. those who have enough quality depth to rotate) and hurt the lesser teams (who had to play their best players in all three group stage matches just to get out of the group).

25. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    I did say that before the tournament squad depth was going to play a major role in this tournament for this very reason. It’s no coincidence that Brazil and France pants their opponents, they just looked fresher, if Portugal do the same it will be all but confirmed. I believe this advantage will ply a greater and greater influence on the tournament.