MVP Poll at FSW, Cannon kicking butt

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by GrillMaster, Nov 11, 2004.

1. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    That's just their dumb online poll.

Cannon is probably sitting on his computer now voting for himself repeatadly while skimming BigSoccer to try and find out who the Rapids new coach is going to be next year.

It's a complete joke for the true MLS award if Jaime doesn't win it now, because while he has been dominant in the postseason and led his team to the Final, the other two jokers are sitting around getting ready to watch him on TV because they couldn't get it done and choked out of the first round.

3. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I hope they do give it to Cannon and it pisses Jaime off royal. I'd rather see him get MVP of MLS Cup "04. That would be his second and our fourth star.

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Question: Did they vote on MVP prior to the playoffs? I remember hearing that for Coach of the year the votes are already in, hence Boob Andrulis will probably win. Funny, more torment for Crew fans.

Isn't there an MVP of the playoffs? Hopefully a DC player will win that.

Opinion: A goalkeeper shouldn't be MVP of the league. That's just my opinion. There's already a GK of the year award. He'll win that, and it's well deserved. To me Jaime is the MVP of the league. I equate this to the CY/MVP argument in baseball. There's a special award for pitchers, so they rarely get MVP.

5. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    i'd rather see him kill cannon with his bare hands :mad:

6. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just don't think the MVP award should go to a keeper. The keeper only plays half the game, defense, except for the very rare assist on a long distribution or the even rarer goal (Friedel in the 2003-2004 EPL is the last one I know of). Virtually all modern outfield players are two-way players, and that is where the distinction should be made.

JMO/YMMV

GM

7. TigerHawk

TigerHawk New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    I voted, but I'm sure Jaime would rather have a ring ...

Did I hear that they're announcing the winner sometime today? Anybody know? (Just got back from a business trip, and my brain is still fuzzy.)

8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    4pm ESPNNEWS

9. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    that's a pretty narrow and dare i say, old fashioned, view of keeping. if you look a system like the ones at Ajax, you see the keeper can play a very important role in the offense--in many ways his distribution is the way in which the offense gets started.

that's not to say i'm defending cannon, but it is certainly possiblie to be quite offensive from the 1 spot.

10. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I hear what you are saying (note my excepts), but the fact is, a keeper virtually never wins a game for a side, unless it's from a PK taken by the GK. The keeper might prevent the side from losing, but putting the side ahead is for the outfield players.

'nuff said about Cannon. I hope Meola plays on Sunday -- might as well beat their best.

GM

11. gnat

gnat New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    I think Nicky might argue with you on this after last weekend. Had he not made two massive PK saves, we'd probably still be there. :D

I sorta agree with Rob (that a keeper should be eligible), but I don't think MVP has anything to do with offense or defense. I think it has more to do with their impact on the team as a whole.

If you take United by itself, I think we have two players that really stood out as MVP this year. If you look at both Nelsen and Moreno, there was a noticeable difference in how the team played when they came on/off the field and that is what I think MVP should be about.

All that being said, screw Joe Bazooka, we've got the MVP :D

-dave

12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    According to MLSnet, it's now 3pm ET ESPNNEWS

13. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Thanks for the heads up.

I hope Jaime wins it.

I totally agree with the GK should not win it argument.

14. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    89% Cannon

9% Moreno

--What a crock of $hit :D