Must know info for any new Hamburg fan?

Discussion in 'Germany: Clubs' started by Völler's Mustache, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Völler's Mustache

Aug 19, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I enjoyed the related Schalke thread, so I wanted to start one for Hamburg.

I became a soccer fan in 2002 when I began following the World Cup. I became fascinated with the German national team, mostly due to my family's history; we derive from Hannover. I never got really big into soccer until the 2008 Euro Cup. At that point, I was in the middle of college and had a few friends who knew A LOT about soccer. I didn't follow club teams until just over a year ago. I pretty much just followed international teams and only to a certain extent. Last year, I decided that I wanted to follow a club team. After a lot of research and deliberation I was down to two clubs: Chelsea and Hamburg. I really wanted to follow Hamburg more than Chelsea, but I didn't know how or where to watch games online at the time and I didn't know of any good sites in English to follow the Bundesliga. I only speak a small amount of German, so that made it difficult to follow HSV. I decided to go with Chelsea pretty much due to Michael Ballack and my man-crush on the entire German national team. It's been over a year and I have a strong allegiance to Chelsea, but also to Hamburg. I joined Big Soccer a while ago to read up more on the Bundesliga through these forums, unfortunately, the HSV thread is very quiet. Still after a year of following HSV, I don't know much about them.

2. Bundesligafan

Bundesligafan Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    i guess there just isnt any HSV fans in Big soccer except u

3. Matakos

Matakos Member+

May 18, 2009
    Macedonia, Greece
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I always wondered why... HSV is a big club with many fans I think

4. Bundesligafan

Bundesligafan Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    i can say 1 thing tt i like abt hsv though
    the transfers make by ur managment has been amazing
    i wish dortmund would learn from u guys

5. Brummsel

Brummsel Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Thats definitely wrong... ;) And I really try to visit bigsoccer more often from now on.

What is there to know about the HSV... In the club-forum there is an English section, where you can get some information (I hope it´s ok to place a link?). Otherwise, just ask. ;)

6. ruhrpott dackel

Oct 1, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    i'm liking hsv's chances in this season's europa league,
    standard liege in the quarters followed by the winner of wolfsburg or fulham (hopefully wolfsburg) then a home final...chances are good at least we'll see a german team in the final playing on german soil

7. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Umm...why didn't you choose Hannover 96? Hell, there are more 96 fans here than HSV fans...

8. Völler's Mustache

Aug 19, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    At the time I was doing research, one of my criteria for picking a team was a great city that some day I could visit to watch a match and while I want to visit Hannover some day to see where my family is from, Hamburg, as a city, appeals to me more than any other city in Germany.

9. Marienburg

Marienburg New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hamburg is definitely a fun city to visit. Not sure why there aren't more Hamburg fans here. It is probably 2nd in the league in terms of finances, has a very modern, exquisite stadium, rabid fan base, some good rivalries, and is a big city.

10. 2093

2093 New Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    I've been wondering that myself. I mean, as much as I enjoy talking to myself in the Hamburg thread... ;)

11. ValleyoftheSun

ValleyoftheSun Red Card

May 15, 2010
    Arizona
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, I think there should be set up forums for each club first and foremost not just once they get a certain amount of supporters on this site.

There might be some Hamburg fans who float in and out of this site but once they don't see a main Hamburg season thread, they might give up.

This doesn't go just for Hamburg though.

12. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1970s Soccer USA
    Sad to report the death of Horst Bertl, the West German midfielder who helped Hamburg SV win major trophies like the UEFA Cup Winners' Cup (1977), the German cup (1976) and the Bundesliga title (1979), then jumped to North America in 1979 and added another 4 years to his playing career. Bertl was 74. Catching the last great NASL expansion, Bertl notched 1 goal and 8 assists in 33 games with the Houston Hurricane (1979-80), and later served as player and coach for the Memphis Americans of MISL from 1981-84. After retiring, Bertl became a top player agent and represented U.S. stars like Paul Caligiuri, Eric Eichmann and Brian McBride, helping each land European contracts at a time when American players were under-valued.