Muslim Support for Bin Laden Falls

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Ian McCracken, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    George W Bush...Winning Hearts and Minds in the Muslim World.

Muslim Support for Bin Laden Falls, Poll Says
    Thursday, July 14, 2005

WASHINGTON — People in several heavily Muslim countries have lost some of their enthusiasm for Usama bin Laden and for violent acts like terror bombings, especially in countries where there have been recent terrorist acts, international polling found.

Surveys conducted for the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press looked at attitudes of people living in Indonesia, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Pakistan and Turkey, all countries with Muslim majorities, as part of an international survey of 17 countries done this spring.

In Lebanon, the number of people who think the use of bombings and other forms of violence is justified in defense of Islam has dropped from 73 percent in the summer of 2002 to 39 percent now. A decrease in this number also was seen in Morocco, which fell from 40 percent a year ago to 13 percent now, and in Pakistan and Indonesia. In Jordan, the number of people who feel such violence is justified has grown slightly; the number in Turkey remains very low.

Since March 2004, the sentiment for bombings against Americans and their allies in Iraq dropped from 70 percent to 49 percent in Jordan, which neighbors Iraq, and dropped by smaller margins in Pakistan, Turkey and Morocco.

2. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Great to see but it's interesting you allways get your news from fox :D

3. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Actually that's an AP story.

4. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Notice how folks posting begin to shift story from the message to the messenger! This happens quite a bit hereabouts!

This declining support for Bin Laden is good news -- great news! We need to amplify this rejection of terrorism sentiment throughout the Mideast... pictures of dead Londoners as a result of recent terrorism should be distributed throughout the Muslim world so they receive images of what terrorist leads to....

5. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most of them can probably look to closer examples to see what terrorism leads to....but don't let me get in the way of another "contribution" from you.

6. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    This is great news, but the above statement is of course assinine.

The United States remains broadly unpopular in those heavily Muslim countries. Solid majorities of the people in Lebanon, Pakistan, Turkey, Jordan and Indonesia have an unfavorable view of the United States, while Moroccans are split. Young people in Morocco, Lebanon, Pakistan and Turkey view America more favorably than the overall populations in those countries, the polling found.

People in the countries polled are sick of the violence in their countries the same way we aren't particularly fond of violence against us.

Ian, you are a part of a subset of Americans that need to understand that people living in Jordan and Lebanon and Morroco and Turkey do not have their lives devouted to the great debate about the US. Just because they reject our enemy does not mean that they embrace us.

It does mean that there is an incredible opportunity for us to strengthen our relationships.

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ITN, I noticed your new avatar. Who's the white guy? I don't recognize him.

8. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Doesn't change the fact that he got it from Fox.

9. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

verybdog would like that a lot.

10. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never mind his......who's your new avatar?

11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adidas, I think.

Unless you mean the chick, in which case it's Kirsty Gallacher.

12. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Jeez, I thought he was Jewish. (IM would say Iranian)

13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be unusual for a Jew to have such light-colored hair. Unusual, but not impossible.

14. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm surprised that Jesus had time to sit for a portrait considering his busy schedule.

I was watching a Discovery program one time about how many researchers believe that Jesus looked nothing like that. Considering his occupation, ethnicity, and climate, he was probably shorter, a little more round, and ruddy. Maybe something like this:

[​IMG]

You're welcome to shrink the pic and use it for your avatar, ITN. ;)

15. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bad news for Bin Laden does not equal good news for BushCo.

It is good, however, that many Muslims are cutting back on the insta-martyr kool-aid.

16. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    P.S. I do think that ITN's updated sig is a bit over the top. Liberals' bloodlust? Oh, please. :rolleyes:

Is there a ********ing ignore button on this board? I'm not reading his trolling crap anymore.

17. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

http://indyweek.com/durham/2000-08-30/triangles2.html

I'm wondering how many of the people begging for the 10 commandments posted in courtrooms would react if liberals said sure - as long as you throw in a black jesus mural too...

[​IMG]

18. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go to his user profile and select add user to ignore list.

19. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Don't worry, my sig says what liberals are as it says in the dictionary :)

ITN is bigot

20. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ
    Just wait til his next tape is released to Al-Jizz

He'll go straight to number one all over again

21. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    Bush is supposed to have all of Islam hating the US. That is why I voted for him. He is screwing us out of the holy war I so desperately want. Damn him. I should have voted for Kerry.