Musica Do Brasil IV

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Alex_1, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Dude I have been doing some looking at this CD - it is interesting man! There are a lot of awesome composers and musicians involved - I can't wait to hear it. I'll check Borders tomorrow (lol - you'd die if you knew what my surname is).

2. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Musica Do Brasil IV

He's on a fairly obscure label called Tritone Records I believe. If you can't find it at Borders, it can be ordered through Amazon, although I got mine at his show.

If you have any more trouble finding it, let me know, and I think there's a website or phone number on the disc to call for ordering.

3. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Smoke City Fans...

Nina Miranda is featured on another release: Arkestra 1

[​IMG]

This was released in the United States under ESL music - the same label that brings over the Bossa Italian tracks from Schema (Nicola Conte, Les Hommes, Rosaria De Sousa, etc.) Nina Miranda is of Smoke City fame, and has featured in compilations and has featured in other artists works - like Bebel Gilberto's Tanto Tempo and Christian Franck's other group, Da Lata.

Don't have it yet - but will soon. After all, Smoke City is one of my all time favorite groups. (of course everyone already knew that).

It's described as being downtempo with a touch of Bossa, and a dash of electronic. Similar to "Koop" cd. Hmm... but I don't have Koop's cd so I'm not really sure. Will review when i have it.

4. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    THere is a great deal of music in the pipelines now and for November release. For starters, there is sort of a "Brasil 2Mil" part 2 already out in Germany.

[​IMG]

Of course, it is not really a sequel to Brasil 2Mil. This release does feature many of the Crammed label brazilian artists, but what is very intriguing about this is that Cibelle is starting to be pushed. She worked heavily with the late Suba, and her voice is incredible. A new album from her may be out sometime next spring. Also included are a few new artists and re-mixes by Conte and etc. But more than half the cd contains artsits that already have works out there (bossacucanova, Trio Mircotto, etc).

[​IMG]
    Bebel

Also in the pipeline is Italian news from - Soulstance's new album is to be released in January. Should be interesting. And Nicola Conte's remix album is fantastic - will review later. A preview - Kyoto Jazz Massive participated in the project.

And of course, next week, Rosalia De Sousa's new album hits the market. I've only heard a few of the tracks - but wow.... it will be amazing.

Hopefully I can get French singer Helena, and Gerardo Frisina soon. But it has proved challenging to find them.

5. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I just wanted to make sure I see this picture as many times as possible.

She's so cute!

RS

6. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Actually, to be honest, she is not so so so hot. Fantastic figure, but she is not really hot. The picture is very flattering though. Bebel Gilberto though has an interesting history - daughter to Joao Gilberto and Miucha (not Astrud Gilberto "Girl from Ipanema") Bebel has been around for a while - I'm honestly not sure how old she is - maybe late thirties. I first really noticed her in the Red Hot +Rio album with Cazuza, along with Towa Tei's "Future Listening" (IMO, one of the top 10 cd's that I own)

Oh yeah, anyway, there will be a new Glucklich compilation coming out. Vol 5. Done by Rainer Truby of Truby Trio, this one features Raccoon, Les Gammas, a taste from the new Nicola Conte cd and a few more.

[​IMG]

This one I think is supposed to be like a link between older bossa tracks and newer ones but of course that is questionable since the Raccoon track was out in I think 2000... This series has had it's ups and downs. The original one was older jazz/fusion tracks from Germany with a Brazilian/Latin flavor. It was awesome. The second one was much the same but not nearly as strong. The third was sort of like an intro into the "new" sound, and came out at about the same time as Jet Society or Brazilectro vol 1, Break & Bossa 1+2, Bossa Brava series. The Fourth was pretty damn good - same time frame as Brazilectro 2.

Then Rainer Truby took a year off before releasing this feature - so you know quality was the main focus. If you have Brazilectro 3, you may recognize a few tracks and if you're into the Break & Bossa series, I think a few tracks overlap from there as well. Hey, it is a Compost release.

Anyway, will review in depth once I get my hands on it. Lots is in the pipeline in Europe from the bossa/club scene.

Oh yes, and Nicola Conte's remix album will be out in the United States in the middle of November. It is fantastic, and the remix artists included are phenomenal to the scene.

7. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Orquestra de Sao Paulo is coming to my town soon with Sergio & Odair Assad (guitar duo).

They are doing a program of Brazilian music for orchestra and guitar, should be pretty awesome.

8. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Japan DJ's mixing Brazilian Vibes...

Man, that should be a good show. Sit back, with the ladies, have a martini in hand and enjoy the music. Nothing better. I saw Luciana Sousa live some months ago and she was tremendous. But Sergio Assad... nice. The sound will be incredible.

So in the pipeline for the next few months... officially... Kyoto Jazz Massive's Spirit of the Sun...

[​IMG]

Can't wait to get my hands on it. You know, it's actually more expensive here in the United States than in Europe? That is one thing that really is getting to me. The music I collect, no matter if it is from South America or Asia, seems to all be in Europe, and cheaper than in the United States.

Also... Lava... from the Brazilectro/SPV label.

[​IMG]

He's awesome. I honestly don't know much of what to expect - but he's been getting serious air-play and a buddy says this is the one to have. I'll check it out - can't be that bad if it's a feature on a otherwise comp. oriented label. Or can it?

But that's about it. I don't think I'll have much cookin' for the next few weeks. But we'll see when the material arrives.

9. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    [​IMG]

Released Nov. 4th "worldwide" but I still haven't found it! Argh!! I've heard a few of the tracks already - it's gonna be a great album. But dammit... why must it be so hard to find!

10. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Two real reviews

Wow, guess it's been a while since I had somethign to actually review, huh?

[​IMG]

This is an older cd that was re-issued - "debut" yesterday. The big deal about this one is that it features Bebel Gilberto. But mark my words - this is not new. The tracks are circa 1991, and the sound and style is as such.

But having said that, it's not actually a pretty good album. It does have a far more "Brazilian" feeling than the newer stuff that Bebel Gilberto put out after that (Towa Tei's Future listening, Tanto Tempo, Mirror Conspiracy, Kyoto Jazz Massive's "The View from Her Room"). Today, she's more a "nu-jazz/bossa" artist. But here, she has a distinct Brazil sound, and the tracks are very light. I especially like Eo Poss Dizer and Amor Unilateral. But the real story behind this cd is that the writer of the tracks is Japanese - thus tying the strong Brazil-Japan link with music and, well, life I suppose. Amazing - it really has a sense of xinga.

Yumi Matsutoya is the writer, and I guess, although this isn't the most polished release, it is one of the original "Fusion" releases that Kyoto Jazz, Towa Tei, Yoshinori Sunahara and etc. from Japan base off of.

[​IMG]

Take a look at this one.... pretty good. So, having given it a real good listen too I think it's safe to say it's a success. I will review later... out of time.

11. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Picked up a few good ones. FINALLY found Gerardo Frisina's cd.... under the jazz section. I guess it fits - all the while I was looking under Italy. I think I have an extra copy - I'd given up on the music stores and ordered one off the net but of course, found one and the order is shipping to my house as I type this. SO it will probably be for sale.

Also picked up CD by Patricia Marx, Brazilian artist (no really!), titled Respirar. Good cd. Will review later on though - outta time.

12. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alex_1, you must have the bottomless money pit or all you own is CDs or you just save all your CD money for Brazilian stuff. :D

Anyway, I need to check a bunch of that stuff out.

I saw the Orquestra de Sao Paulo on Friday. It was quite awesome. They did some Villa-Lobos and some Castelnuovo-Tedesco (featuring the Assad brothers on guitar.)

A review can be found here

13. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    It's my weakness man! Seriously though, it's just my big time hobby. Collecting the tracks and tunes and rare gems. It's like a challenge to find the soundtracks. With me it really started with hearing bossa nova from my mother. Then my father has a huge vinyl collection (like father like son) and I got into the music with him. After collecting a few compilations, I had to have the older bossa nova/jazz samples and there you go.

I'm telling you, what started out as only getting Jobim, Stan Getz and Joao Gilberto went into "re-discovering" the whole MPB with Elis Regina, Milton Nascimento, Chico Buarque and Gal Costa sound. I was even into some of the Brazilian rock, but one day I came across Brasil 2Mil, took a chance and from there is really when I fell in love with the new sound of Brazil. Daude, Andrea Marquee, Suba, Smoke City, Lenine, Fernanda Abreu... I had to hear more man. From there, I went to the Six Degrees label, and heard more of Suba, Zuco 103 and learned that Bebel Gilberto had a new album coming out.

It's really been history ever since that comp - well... that one went hand in hand with "Jet Society" and "Boss-A-Troniq" to be honest. Then later on came Brazilectro series, Break & Bossa series, etc. melded with my love of electronica and Compost records (Glucklich, Jazzanova, Truby Trio). From Ian Pooley to Jaffa to Nair Candia to Orlandivo. What is most amazing is that it's not so erradic after all - Compost, Nicola Conte, Soulstance, Towa Tei, Bebel, Tom & Joyce, Suba, all of these artists usually do work/worked with one another at some point. Through time I have taken chances and actually wound up with real duds (Brasil 5000, Quango's Brazilified) but with experience, I don't know - you find the ways to get the artists that will most likely be good and know which artists to look for (Conte, De Souza, Abreu, Marquee, Daude, and now... Patricia Marx).

Enough with my rambling. lol Once I get started talking about the music it is hard to stop.

The concert was brilliant though, eh? THe review makes it look live

14. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm exactly the same way, except my passion extends into every form of music on the planet (much to my wife's and my wallet's dismay) :D I love it all: Brazilian, bluegrass, Indian, classical, rock, Chinese, Persian, Bulgarian, etc, etc, etc. I've ordered stuff from all over the place and my record/CD collection kind of always makes people scratch their heads at all of the oddities in there. I've got this 8 CD box set of Chinese guqin music (a zither considered by the literati to be the instrument of gentlemen and scholars) that doesn't have a word of English in it. People just kind of look at it, and are puzzled. I've got tons of things like that too, Greek, Okinawan, etc.

I'm the same way.

Yeah, it was really good. It is interesting to me how even in symphonic music, the Brazilians just have to make it jump. You could get up and dance to it.