Murstein Drops Out of Bidding For Wizards

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by cristoforo7, Jul 7, 2005.

1. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Tampa Bay and the Thunderdome.

Tulsa or Okahoma City (I forget) and their arena.

2. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    We have the sickness here, that's for sure. It was a Kansas City sporting tradition every year here like no other I can think of. Iowa State fans, who I think are some of the most passionate in the country, flock down by the thousands, and it is an enormous money maker for the city. I've heard the financing is now hovering more in the 150-200 range now though. The lack of a primary tenant has forced them to cut back on some amenities.

This will also make KC a lock again for a pod and most likely the Final Four on a consistent basis once again. The men's finals were hosted here last in Kemper Arena in 1988. Considering the sport was invented at KU, this type of expenditure seems very reasonable to most of us. We like our potholes anyway. :)

3. wufc

wufc Member

May 1, 2005
    UC Irvine
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aren't Final Fours held in domed football stadiums?

4. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    The design guys I've talked to seem to think they will be in a good position to make a competitive bid. I don't really know though.

5. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    While it may seem that it would have made more sense to have leases from pro teams in hand before the city built the Sprint Center, the facility was really built so that Kansas City could hold onto the Big 12 basketball tournament for the forseeable future.

That said, I'm willing to bet that the Sprint Center will be home to both an expansion Arena Football League team and a relocated National Hockey League team (at least) within 3 - 5 years. Before Murstein ever made his interest in an AFL franchise known, Tyler Prochnow's Golden Peak Sports & Entertainment LLC and KC Arena Football Club LLP were in contact with both the Arena Football League and AEG investigating what needed to be done to secure an expansion team and a Sprint Center lease. As for the NHL, despite the recent developments regarding the league's return to action, there are still several teams that are on "thin ice" in their current markets. I could honestly see a franchise like the Pittsburgh Penguins or Nashville Predators on its way to the Sprint Center in the very near future.

Further, despite David Stern's public pronouncements that the Sprint Center would be a great home for a WNBA team, don't be surprised if an NBA franchise wants to call the facility home upon its completion.

This facility will not be a "white elephant".

6. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    You know damn well that Dave Attell will be portraying you.

7. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    Ah, you are confused. It was invented in Massachusetts, perfected in Kansas.

Dr. Naismith, I believe, was the only coach at KU to have a losing record.

8. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    You are correct of course. For all intents and purposes though, I think Kansas fans can rightfully claim some ownership considering since the game didn't even have open baskets until he was at KU. The ladders are killing the game!

9. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Correct.

One of my favorite lines I've ever heard was from a Sports Literature professor I had at KU, who said that legendary KU coach Phog Allen "taught James Naismith everything he ever knew about basketball."

Also, you have no idea how cool it was to live on "Naismith Drive" and be able to look out my window and see Allen Fieldhouse every day. Probably my favorite part of my freshman year at KU.

10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Apparently Naismith was convinced that once the game started, there was no "coaching" left to be done. Phog Allen had other ideas. And when you look at who played for Phog at KU (Ralph Miller, Adolf Rupp, Dean Smith...) the family tree really comes into focus.

In Naismith's defense, though, there were a few years where the team played in the basement of what was then, I believe, the Biology building. The 11 foot ceilings really would've hampered the team's ability to develop their outside game. :D

11. SamPierron

SamPierron BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 30, 1998
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, you've got me there.

I just wish everyone could have heard Murstein on the radio. A jilted lover if ever there was one.

12. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    There's gotta be a Terry Brown joke in there somewhere.

13. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Incredibly jilted