Murstein Drops Out of Bidding For Wizards

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by cristoforo7, Jul 7, 2005.

1. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    He's from NY, and made his money in taxi cabs...you expecting Kofi Annan?

You gotta admit, if he saw the KC mid-week game a couple weeks back...he's gotta reason to question a lot of things..that was bush league

2. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    Someone starts a "Tom Hicks interested in FC Dallas" thread in 4....3....2...1....

Follwed by a "What changes will Tom Hicks make to the FC Dallas starting 11?" thread, and then, eventually, by a thread that asks "How did Don Garber f*** up Tom Hicks' interest in buying FC Dallas?"

3. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    when you consider the timing of this, I was wondering if that wasnt what made him pull his bid. That was about the smallest crowd I think I have ever seen at an MLS game.

4. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    When asked to characterize his interest in buying the Wizards, Murstein said, “Like in the ‘Wizard of Oz:’ ‘I’m melting, I’m melting and then I’m about to disappear.’ ”

[​IMG]

See ya, witch.

5. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Wait a minute...

Sorry, I haven't been following the KC scene but...

They are spending how much to build the Sprint Center with NO primary tenants?

And the Wizards can't get a stadium???

I feel for you HASF guys.

6. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Or maybe it was the fact that Lamar Hunt clearly was not too interested in this guy as evidenced by the fact that Hunt often blew him off. He's trying to save face after yet another failed bid to buy a sports team by exhibiting a classic case of sour grapes..

7. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes, we can get a stadium, particularly if Hunt honors his promise and allows the local group to buy the team. The feasibility study for the stadium is in the works right now.

See this: http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=14814803&BRD=1459&PAG=461&dept_id=155725&rfi=6

The question is whether he sells to the local group as promised or allows the team to be sold to an outside group (Club America/Houston???) instead and we get moved as a result.

The ball is in Hunt's court now.

8. rudeboy

rudeboy Member

Jul 5, 2001
    Kansas City
    Yep, welcome to the wonderful world of third class cities. Kansas City likes to think it is among the best cities in the country but when it comes down to it, if it wasn't for the subburbs, KC would be dead. Who builds a stadium without a team? We have schools that aren't even accredited and we go waste money on an arean for no one. The stupid thing about this is that the people of kansas city voted for this crap!

9. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    Do you think CA is the new player in the KC aquisition game? I had heard speculation in another thread that they have moved on from trying to get SJ and are now trying to get KC. Any inside info on this?

10. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Most up to date info on the KC Boards is that it is NOT CA and in fact there is NO third buyer

1. Murstein (pulled out)
    2. Local group (bid on the table)
    3. Rumoured third group mentioned by KC Star this week

It feels like the friggin Kennedy Assassination now .... the third buyer behind the grassy knoll took out Murstein ...

11. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    Sam should write a book on it when its all said and done. It would probably get him a publishing deal and screenplay offers.

12. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Screenplay offers. He probably already has them after his sterling TV performance earlier this week ;)

13. KCRovert

KCRovert BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But who would play Sam in the movie....what with Chris Farley being long dead. :D

14. wufc

wufc Member

May 1, 2005
    UC Irvine
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, seriously, this city knows the fact that getting a NBA or NHL team is about 1% but they're willing to take the risk.

15. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    ???

There will be a primary tenant (NHL or NBA) by the time the Sprint Center is completed (or as soon as the league's season starts.)

16. wufc

wufc Member

May 1, 2005
    UC Irvine
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, I was exaggerating with the 1% part. But it's still a HUGE risk in thinking that an NBA/NHL team will move there. Other cities have faced this type of disaster (like San Antonio with the Alamodome).

And if AEG wants to do MLS a little favor, they should pull a NJSEA on Murstein's AFL team and ask for max rent.

17. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    How is that "doing MLS a little favor"? And I think AEG did all the favors MLS could ask for by giving it an existence.

18. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really, it's one thing to get a team in a hugely profitable and popular league to relocate when almost all of them sell out their huge stadiums. And it's especially difficult, considering that the NFL gets so much money from TV and when San Antonio is relatively small.

However, the NHL is not nearly as secure and has several teams in less-than-ideal situations, especially with respect to their arenas. Moreover, TV revenue is so marginal that moving a team into a relatively small market like Kansas City isn't that big of an issue. Also, there are several NHL owners who are keenly interested in dumping their teams and don't particularly care if the team is moved by the new owner.

Getting an NBA team into the Sprint Center would be a tougher, but it's pretty easy to imagine an NHL team playing in the Sprint Center as soon as it opens.

19. SamPierron

SamPierron BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 30, 1998
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chris Farley? The obvious choice is Evan Handler, Harry from "Sex and the City".

20. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    Guess you overstated this a tad, huh?

21. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

22. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Aaah, so those rumours about you walking about the house bollock naked are true? ;)

23. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Evan Handler is definitely it. I was thinking Telly Savalas at first or Christopher Lloyd in his Fester Adams makeup ;) .

24. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    The Sprint Center will be built mainly because of the Big 12 Tournament. It was hosted here in KC forever, but in a combination of the Big 8 becoming the Big 12, and Kemper Arena finally fading beyond feasible renovation, the city had to do something if they wanted to get the tournament here ever again. Conference officials said as much.

I think the Chiefs are big here, but college basketball (KU - MU) is the city's true passion.

25. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    $250 million to host a 4-day tournament?

That would be like some city in NC building a building just to host the ACC tournament. Wait... that actually seems stupid enough for someone to try... The Greensboro Coliseum is getting old...