Murphy, Charge Staff, How Dare You!!!!

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by g4m, Aug 12, 2002.

1. XYZ

XYZ New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Big Cat Country
    orrigionally posted by John T
    If she's overrated or not isn't the issue here.

True. And, actually, Mia has been playing quite well recently. That is not the point.

All last week I heard advertisements stating, "Watch the Eagles take on Brett Farve...". Two years ago, it was, "The Sixers play Shaq, Kobe and the Lakers..."

There's a big difference. The article on the Charge site didn't say, "Come watch the Charge take on Mia Hamm" It said, essentially, "Come watch Mia Hamm" Any mention of the Charge was almost as a footnote: "The Charge learned their fate..."

"their fate"??? I would really like to know who wrote that because it is about as lame as it could possibly be, and a slap in the face to the Charge and their fans. I am not a Charge fan, but the outrage expressed in this thread is toally justified.

That article should have said, "Come watch the Chagre take on Mia Hamm" but it didn't. It didn't say that at all.

Secondly, how exactly does this hurt the league in the long run, as many people have mentioned?

That kind of backwards marketing is what hurts the league. There is no excitement, no passion. Is this a sports league? Or is it the ballet?? I worry for the future of the league when the people marketing it are so evidently clueless. They throw T-shirts in the crowd while the ball is in play. They play loud music, make stupid loud announcements while the ball is in play. And they market the league as if it's ballet and not what it is, which is a sports league.

If they're going to continue to market de WOOSA as ballet, then I hope the league folds soon, because sport is competition. It's not ballet.

And an article on the team website about the home team playing in the semifinal should be about the home team playing in the semifinal, NOT about a player on the other team, even if she is the league's most popular player.

Of course they going to mention Mia Hamm about 30 times, but why can't the article be about the Charge?

2. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    I'm a totality person, look at all the stories available on the Charge site.

One pushed Mia, perhaps too much for some, most others are CHARGE stuff.

If you take an example and make it the WHOLE, then this is a fallacy of composition.

This isn't to say Mia doesn't get hype, but it does say, she's NOT the total story.