Munsterman shall never surrender! yet another Twente thread [R]

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by johan neeskens, Aug 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oranje23

Oranje23 Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Victoria, Canada
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Wonder if this financial trouble will force their hand in selling Suarez. His stock will be high (especially if he has a good WK). I think we're looking good to take the CL playoff spot, now I just need to hope for an easy draw.

2. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    To be completely honest with you I don't think any Dutch club has any business in the CL right now and that's purely because of financial (television revenue) limitations. I'm not really bothered about it either as the CL is one screwed up tournament indicative only of how UEFA has sold out. How are we supposed to put up a real fight in the knowledge that any Dutch club will typically have about one third to spend of even the weakest opposition in the CL group stage.

3. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    we're fine.

everton are reportedly interested in vertonghen and they can spend up to 20 mil. on him.

will probably be closer to the 15 mil. mark but that amount along with the sale of an emanuelson will take us off our debt.

twente will have to compensate the loss of n'kufo, ruiz & wally with the brolly next season if they do win the league, since i assume the latter 2 will follow n'kufo's example and move to greener pastures.

4. Oranje23

Oranje23 Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Victoria, Canada
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Are the Dutch TV contracts not paying out big for CL appearances?

5. Oranje23

Oranje23 Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Victoria, Canada
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    David Moyes isn't going to spend 20 mil on Vertonghen since he bought Johnny Heitinga for 7 mil. Euro.

N'kufo will be tough to replace, but not impossible and I don't see Ruiz leaving after just one season in the Eredivisie.

6. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    heitinga is a different story altogether, he went to everton midseason because atletico madrid are strapped for cash.

ruiz' dream is to play in spain, if he can be there next season he'll take the opportunity.

7. Oranje23

Oranje23 Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Victoria, Canada
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    David Moyes wasn't going to spend much more for Heitinga is my point and I don't believe Vertoghen would have a spot on the team. Everton is set at LB with Leighton Baines and they've got better CBs than Vertoghen.

I know Ruiz wants to play in Spain, but I don't now if Twente is going to get the big offers this offseason. If what Johan says about Ruiz only leaving for a big Spanish club I'd say there's if less of a chance.

8. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
  9. Oranje23

Oranje23 Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Victoria, Canada
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    My point is is that Moyes doesn't spend a lot of money on players. He went for Heitinga because he knew he was getting a deal. I understand Moyes wants Vertonghen and why wouldn't he? He's a solid, versatile player but if Vermaelen only cost Arsenal 12 mil. Euro, I can't see Vertoghen going for 15 or 20.

10. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004

I'm sure he will - but Twente will only take big bids for him. And can afford to refuse lowly bids for him. This is what I don't think you Ajax fans seem to understand. Twente is one of only three profitable Dutch clubs. Twente is only one of three clubs that has the luxury to refuse bids and to buy players this summer (and Ajax isn't among those three). If Ruiz is sold to a Spanish club, it'll only be for a shedload of money. This is what the Twente business model is about. We get players on the relative cheap and sell them for big bucks. Remember last year and the year before that when you told us Twente would implode? Twente now and Twente fourteen months ago is different on eight positions. It's not who you lose, it's who you replace them with. Doorselecteren is the Dutch word for it.

In the Volkskrant piece I alluded to earlier, Van de Boog also said that only eight percent of Ajax buys over the past five years have been successful. That's the Ajax problem for you right there. Ajax has written of 92% of the players its bought over the past five years.That is simply very bad management.

11. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Everton have never had excess money to spend and will only look to pay in the neighborhood of €10 million if that. Interestingly, Heitinga played in the midfield the past two Everton matches.

12. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The teams that bank on CL revenue are the ones that end up in the poor house in a couple of seasons (witness Leeds United who look like they will continue to stay in the third tier of English football this season despite having a good start). You're right about Dutch teams and the CL; they don't have enough revenue to field the deep roster needed. Look at all the injuries and suspensions to Barca and Arsenal. I expect this week's match up will only see about 1/2 dozen from each side who are considered "starters" for those teams (Zlatan is now out for Barca). Even so the quality on the pitch will be quite good. Contrast that to any of the top three Dutch teams and take away six starters and what do you have? Cannon fodder.

13. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    fellaini's fee is reported to be up to €18 - 20 million. :p

heitinga probably played there due to injuries, he has played everywhere in defense and midfield for everton now.

14. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    But that was 2-3 years ago. Moyes was told by management earlier this year that they don't have that much to spend right now.

15. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    no this is only fellaini's 2nd season and you said 'never'. :p

like everybody else i don't think any dutch club as of right now can dream of reaching the quarterfinals of the cl, but some of you are exaggerating a bit.

barca will miss puyol, pique, iniesta and zlatan.

arsenal are without fabregas, rvp, gallas and arshavin.

that's not 6 :D

ajax and psv without 4 starters are still presentable, even in cl, twente maybe as well.

no dutch club can win it for some foreseeable time, but we can definately compete.

16. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Not six is correct. But subtract Alderweireld, Vertonghen, de Zeeuw and Suarez from the Ajax starting lineup and you still have cannon fodder.

17. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    I think we've hit a good number. Ms. Neeskens would you start a new thread? :)

18. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Interesting.

I'm very curious to see where all the Belgian youngsters will end up at during the Summer. There's a good chance a lot of them (Dembele, Vertonghen, Witsel, Defour, Hazard, ...) will move on

19. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    dembele & vertonghen yes.

dembele because az need to sell him for future funds and vertonghen because, like vermaelen, has expressed his wish in playing in the epl.

i'm not sure about the others.

hazard is one of the stars for lille and won't be getting much play time at one of the bigger clubs due to his age, will also cost a lot.

witsel should move on, but his reputation exceeds him, will only move if standard are prepared to lower his fee.

defour is one i think will have the most chance of moving abroad from the belgian based players, but his past of long term injuries may hinder a transfer.

20. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    very true, i agree. :D

however, those 4 mentioned is the equivalent of barca missing messi, zlatan, xavi and iniesta.

without those 4 barca aren't nearly as strong either.

eriksen - pantelic - sulejmani

gabri - de jong - enoh

emanuelson - oleguer - wielaert - van der wiel

stekelenburg​

= hardly cannon fodder imo..

only line that is looking bleak is cb, but that's because we hardly saw those 2 in action this season and when depended on oleguer was pretty good.

vermeer, anita, silva, aissati, rommedahl, lindgren & lodeiro on the bench.

21. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think Lindgren is out for the season with a knee injury.:mad: Oleguer has played well but is slow; in comparison he is quicksilver compared to Wielaert. The only hope for this team is 90% possession.

22. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Qué? Before this current injury, he never really had a long term one.

23. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    this one counts for 2. :p

he's still out i believe?

if only he had joined ajax like he should have. we could've made some money on him.

24. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    LOL

Yeah, it really hurt his career to stay in Belgium. :D

25. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator