Munsterman shall never surrender! yet another Twente thread [R]

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by johan neeskens, Aug 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    even more interesting.. :p

all is not well in house munsterman? :D

2. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    The journalist in question (Leon ten Voorde) is a total twat. He's always slagging off Munsterman (underscoring what I said about their editorial independence) and worse still, Twente fans, then he co-writes a book about Twente's glorious season selling it as a 'must-have for Twente fans'. WTF?

3. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    no not this summer, he's going to stay in our quest for the 5th champions league crown :cool:

i think he loves amsterdam too much to go so soon, plus lodeiro has just only arrived. i don't think however that we can keep him beyond next season.

if not for a top team where do you think he will end up once he leaves ajax?

seeing how both sneijder and huntelaar went to real madrid (now at inter and ac milan), zlatan, maxwell (both now at barca) to inter, chivu to as roma (now at inter), grygera to juventus, heitinga to atletico madrid (now at in form everton since he's there), maduro to valencia and vermaelen to arsenal when they left ajax..

i don't really think it's really far off to suggest a player like suarez will go to an equally big club.

4. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    contradicting himself in order to make money? sounds like a munsterman employee alright. :p

5. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Munsterman doesn't make ANY money from his job as Twente chairman! He's not any wages.

6. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    being the head honcho of fc twente will grant him sympathy subscribers to his papers, so in a way he's making money out of it.

especially since you mentioned how big twente are in overijssel.

7. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Ownership of Twente is organised under a not for profit foundation. All of our board of directors are volunteers, always have been. There's Aldo van der Laan now, for example, who is a retired multi-millionaire who doesn't need any publicity. He doesn't even officially live in the NL.

8. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    which is why he's so rich, he's avoiding taxes. :D

i have a bet with my twente friend, she's going downnn :p

no sexual inuendo.

9. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
  10. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
  11. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    also very interesting to point out,

bryan ruiz 44 games total, 27 goals.

luis suarez 39 games total, 41 goals.

:D

12. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  13. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    That doesn't detract from the fact that Ruiz is three times more effective than Suarez at converting his chances.

14. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Which actually underscores that Ruiz is more effective. Top players are rarely grafters, they pick their moments. Which is exactly what Ruiz does.

15. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    it's not high science love, the higher amount of chances, the lower your percentage of scoring.

you can not tell me ruiz will score close to 100 goals of the 199 chances that suarez had created.

:p

16. BTV802

BTV802 BigSoccer Supporter

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I'm sure there is an example of some footballer quoted saying something similar, but as somebody who grew up in North America playing hockey this is the best version I know.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take". - Wayne Gretzky

17. powerviolence

powerviolence Red Card

Aug 17, 2009
    I won't hesitate to admit Suarez is better than Ruiz.. in fact I've said before I consider Ruiz to be the second best player of eredivise, but just because Suarez is better doesn't mean Ruiz isn't a great player as well, stop comparing them both, it's dumb, both players have achieved good things, and hopefully both players will continue with great career paths, chances are next year both of em will be gone from Eredivise and their names wont enter you guy's mouths again.

18. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    It cracks me up the way you people are trying to spin this story. Even bringing hockey into it - hilarious.

Example: I've seen Van Basten play a number of times in the flesh. Didn't see him for 89 minutes each game. Still almost always managed to score though even from one chance. Holland v England at Euro 88, I was there. I'm guessing England had more shots on goal than Holland had. Guess who will be remembered as the hero of that game. Van Nistelrooy: same story. Invisible for much of the game, always. Makaay's nickname isn't The Phantom without good reason - you hardly realise he's even playing until he scores. Still got a pretty good career even with his disappearing acts didn't he. This is forwards we're talking about, not midfielders. This is football, not hockey. Not nearly as many chances are created in football as there are in hockey. Not nearly as many shots on goal are taken in football as there are in hockey. If there's one thing football managers always talk about in post-match interviews when asked about specific players, it's 'rendement', i.e. how effective they are. They hate it when wingers dribble past defences yet don't produce a quality end pass - no matter how great the dribble looked. They also hate it when forwards miss a lot of chances. Elia was written off by ADO because he didn't have enough rendement. He got rated again at Twente because he dramatically increased his rendement. Rendement is what modern football is all about.

Nobody's saying Suarez is a bad player, we all know he's bloody good. What the media are saying is that Ruiz needs less chances to score. If you're trying to take anything away from that, that says a lot more about you than about Ruiz I'm afraid.

19. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Probably because Suarez hasn't scored a deciding goal for Ajax in a while now and Ruiz keeps on scoring deciding goals for Twente, the Dutch media right now tend to lean towards Ruiz being the better player, as that newspaper report I posted underscores. So don't be embarrassed about claiming that Ruiz is better and don't let Ajax fans bully you into anything. You wouldn't be the only one who rates Ruiz more highly at the moment (even while the media are fickle mind). Truth is they're very different players. Ruiz is tall and elegant and in my view more technically gifted. Suarez is more of a Ruud van Nistelrooy to Ruiz being more of a Bergkamp.

20. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    "Je moet schieten, anders kun je niet scoren". - Johan Cruijff

Translation: "You have to shoot, otherwise you can't score"

@ Johan, Ruiz is more efficient. Suarez is much, much more effective though. Just check the stats.

21. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Come on, you know that shots on goal is not what footballers are judged on. You're Dutch-based and hopefully won't buy into icehockey analogies. The point is that Ruiz does more with what he's given than Suarez does with what he's given. Football managers will always look at that statistic.

22. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

It's Johan that insists on comparing them. But if you were to compare players, they are the perfect match. Topscorers of the league, play for the #1 and #2, play the same position and are both unquestionally the most important players for their clubs.

Also, I can assure you that I will mention Suarez very, very often in the future, even if - god forbids - he leaves this summer. The guy is a legend.

23. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Maybe it isn't about "what's given". It's about what you create yourself.

24. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Comparing Suarez to Ruud is simply retarded. Like you just said. Ruud is invisible for most of the game. Suarez on the other hand is always working for the team. He's more like a Kuijt with technique. I agree though, Ruiz' technique is superior. Suarez has other qualities that Ruiz lacks.

25. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Ah OK. So anyone would've scored say the third goal v Sparta then. Creating a chance yourself is a highly subjective issue isn't it given that few forwards would've scored as may goals from the chances Ruiz has got especially given that he's scored many in the last quarter of the game, deciding the game for his club. Scoring the 1-0 is somewhat different to scoring the 5-1 wouldn't you agree. I'm not really sure what you people are trying to prove here. Are you seriously arguing that Ruiz is that effective because he happens to be in the right place at the right time? Which e.g. Makaay made an entire career off I might add? Ruiz is a forward. How he scores goals or what he does in the remainder of the game is pretty irrelevant as long as he converts his chances. That is his job and that is what he will be judged on by his coach and the football community at large. Apart from Ajax fans it seems.