Multiple Explosions in London

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by fdp, Jul 7, 2005.

1. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    We have to hunt these bastards down and kill them.

3. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

well, this seems to be a spinoff sect - the group's name and the timing of the attack got me thinking: what if they were timed with the olympic announcement? could there be undetonated explosives in the other bid cities?

however, i do tend to think this was a pre-planned event that had more to do with G8 and england's involvement in the iraq and afghan theatres

i also expect the death toll to rise with time, this was unfortunately too big to get out of it with only two deaths

this is just ********ed up

4. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    geez i don't even feel like doing anything today

5. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if it is often a problem in these situations between US and British media as the British may (or may not?) call injuries casualties and the Americans can get confused because I think I heard them say on CNN this morning something along the lines of 'the fatalities in the double digits' but havn't seen that anywhere else.

6. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are alot of quotes floating around indicating this will be worse. Like the one I highlited in bold above. Plus others along the lines of 'saw many bodies lying on the floor of the subway car', etc.

Time will tell. Hope for the best.

7. Winston Smith

Winston Smith New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    London
    It's pretty much chaos here in London at the moment. I work in Brixton and cycled through this morning, police and ambulances everywhere. We've been told to stay in the building.

So far, unofficially, seven recorded explosions and one possible explosion in Croydon (as there were loads of police cars and fire engines driving south at lunchtime).

Despite the general pandemonium, it looks like the terrorists didn't get the big death toll they wanted. Several UXB's have been found (one in Leicester Square) and our security services know what their doing.

It was quite amusing to hear Al Qaeda screaming about fires all over Britain and people panicking and crying. If there's one thing Londoners are used to its terrorism. Fu cking **************.

8. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think so. In stories like these, they're grabbing info from wherever it comes, be it Scotland Yard or some beat cop on the scene. That's why they often use the incredibly vague "...sources say..." I think the confusion comes from the desire of news agencies to be the first to have whatever tidbit of info the other guy doesn't have regardless of the basis to back up some reports.

9. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
    Terrible and sad news :mad:

This show us that since 11/9/2001 nothing changed, Al Qaeda is still a strong terrorist organization, Bin Laden is still controlling things and Europe is now the main target, mainly because its easier to get here an establish terrorists networks, they are everywhere and i am not seeing how will we win this invisible war...

10. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I hope things get sorted out and these coward bastard gets caught and taught a long lesson.

Prayers to all involved in London.

11. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    What horrible awful news. :( Yesterday, when London won the Olympic bid ahead of Paris (and NY), I was so happy because it seemed to me London really deserved it as one of the most cosmopolitan, tolerant and peaceful cities in the world. I haven't been there in a long time, but that's the impression I get about it. Now this.

Wonder if the terrorists are hoping to drive the UK away from the "coalition" in Iraq like happened with Spain. Doubt it'll work though.

12. white riot

white riot Member+

England
    Apr 27, 2005
    Southampton, England
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It'll take more than a few cherry bombs, like my old Nan used to say, "We survived a blitz."

Rule Brittania.

13. whyko - redded

whyko - redded Red Card

Jul 7, 2005
    anyone knows or realizes why Korea and Japan or Far East is so safe compared to England, U.S., Spain or Italy when Korea and Japan are both the alliance force of U.S.? I know why, but I hope people can realize that from their own since I can't say it explicitly.

14. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Some of the posts in this thread really worry me. Apart from the tragedy these explosions caused in London, I'm guessing the blinkered fanatics on all sides will have a field day with this. The world's in a sorry state.

15. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

ummm why not?

16. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another wonderful entry into the thread. Seriously, why do you people insist on bringing politics into THIS thread? Start another one, Krazy Karl will surely help out. Send him a lucky PM.

Meanwhile, the rest of us will continue following this story and hoping for the best.

17. !Bob

!Bob Member

Apr 28, 2005
    UK
    1. These terrorists organisations are numerous and often don't even like each other as they have different political/ideological objectives. Al-Qaeda is just being used as a name to give them a face.

2. Even the Home Secretary has said that it is not known who was responsible, in particular since a number of different organisations have claimed responsibility.

3. Aim of the terrorists is not to kill as many of us as they can. They intend to install fear and do things that we should not do (such as the US PATRIOT Act or Terrorism Act)

4. This is not the time for such discussions and I will not go into it any further. Please have the common decency to respect the people of London and many who are still trying to find out whether friends and family were involved.

18. Winston Smith

Winston Smith New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    London
    I imagine you'd be pretty safe from Al Qaeda in Peru (but perhaps not so much in Bali :rolleyes: ). Japan have their own terrorists to contend with, in case you're not familiar with the Tokyo subway attack. Apart from those rather gaping holes in your ignorant and rather pointless comment, what's your point?

19. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Excuse me? I lived in London for six years and still have many friends there whom I have frantically tried to contact over the past three hours. I don't need you to tell me off I'm lacking in empathy thank you very much. Plus my statement wasn't very political, it was just me looking to a future with doom and gloom.

20. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suppose you're implying one of two things:

1) That the US and European countries are doing this as some sort of religious war.
    2) That Japan's and South Korea's ethnically homogenous societies that include virtually no indigenous Muslims combined with their and rigid immigration/residency policies would make it very difficult for Al-Qaida to go unnoticed there.

21. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    When I was at the Tate Modern a few years ago, I saw a Muslim woman, an Indian woman, and a white woman, all of whom were in a group with their children, looking at the art together. There are few places on the planet where one could expect to see that. One of those other places is New York.

This isn't just an attack on the prosperity and power of the west (it is definitely that, too). It's also an attack on the tolerance, cosmopolitanism, and civility of its cities. This is a very tragic day.

22. whyko - redded

whyko - redded Red Card

Jul 7, 2005
    the attack was carried by their own people you fool.

23. TruxHalapino

TruxHalapino New Member

Jun 19, 2002
    7 suicide bombers and 2 fatalities?

24. whyko - redded

whyko - redded Red Card

Jul 7, 2005
    since I will be attacked by iranian users or iraqi users here.

25. whyko - redded

whyko - redded Red Card

Jul 7, 2005
    your second part is right but the first part is wrong.