mullan and w.barrett

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by bostonf4lyf, Mar 20, 2007.

1. bostonf4lyf

bostonf4lyf Member

Mar 18, 2006
    wmass
    they both are called up to replace clark and demeritt. why not bring in younger players with potential instead of two players we know will not make 2010. hmmm..adu and wynne....hmmmm

2. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Maybe because Mullan and Barrett are more realistic options on the depth chart come Gold Cup and Copa America time?

Maybe because Adu isn't a defensive midfielder and Wynne isn't a Central Fullback?

3. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barrett isn't a central defender either.

Anyway, people need to get away from the idea that the best guys or all the potential guys will get called in at the same time. It's early in the cycle and Bradley (or whoever) will balance a lot of factors (such as what is going on with their club team or the youth national teams) with the goal of getting a good look at a wide variety of players.

4. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I believe Mullan has always deserved a shot at the national team. If Josh Gros, Pat Noonan (out of position) and Steve Ralston (at age 30) had chances, Brian is definitely deserving of one.

5. dcole

dcole Member+

May 27, 2005
    Barrett will only be 34 when WC2010 rolls around. That's not necessarily too old (especically to me, since I turn that age this Friday). If Barrett is being called in as a LB, I take that as a possible sign that Spector is not being looked at as a LB (otherwise, why have 3 LBs in camp?) and that Dunivant must be pretty low on Bradley's depth chart. Someone above mentioned Barrett as a possibility in the midfield. I see that as highly unlikely, even though that's where he played in his youth, college and early MLS careers; he was converted to LB for a reason.

6. Red Raider

Red Raider New Member

Feb 4, 2000
    Maybe Bradley is sending a message that results, not reputation, count the most. Both of these players have professional attitude, great work ethics, fitness that will shame many young stars, and oh, but the way, they both wear two championship rings. Their most recent game resulted in a win over one of the best clubs in Mexico, and they recently dismissed one of the best clubs in Costa Rica in the CONCACAF Champions Cup.

7. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they're replacing Rolfe and Clark. Demerit is in camp.

8. FakeFlopper

FakeFlopper Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Austin, Tx
    Not meant to be harp on, but I thought the article said it the replacements were for Clark and Rolfe. Anyways, if 34 ain't that old, and assuming that some players can be useful and age like a McBride, why not call in instead Cunningham. Sure, I know he's been given chances etc... but he dominated the MLS last year and if any 30 year old has earned a shot why not him? He can't be that much worst than EJ can he?

9. rollo

rollo Member

Mar 11, 1999
    San Francisco
    This could make sense if Barrett goes to left back since both Bocanegra and Spector can be considered for defensive mid in a pinch; but probably Donovan will be slotted back into midfield. Rolfe may have been tried again at mid and therefore Mullan takes that slot. Mullan is a right mid however (IIRC) and that means that Mapp will be the alternate with Beasely as left mid and Mullan will be the alternate with Dempsey at right mid.
    This is how I view the current roster

GK Keller, Howard
    F EJ & Ching, Cooper & Twellman
    CM Donovan & Bradley, Feilhaber & Carroll.
    RM Dempsey, Mullan
    LM Beasely, Mapp
    RB Cherundolo, Simek
    LB Pearce, Barrett
    CB Bocanegra & Onyewu, Conrad & Spector

Odd Man out = DeMerit due to injury - if able will move Spector to LB and drop Barrett.
    Odd Keeper out = Guzan (soak it up from Keller and Howard, they are currently the keepers to beat out for the top 2 slots.

vs Ecuador
    -----------Keller
    Cher--Gooch--Boca--Pearce
    Demp---LD---Bradley--Bease
    ------EJ-----Ching

vs Guatemala
    ---------Howard
    Simek--Conrad--Spector--Barrett
    Mullan---Feilhaber--Carroll---Mapp
    ------Twellman--Cooper

I do not think that Depmsey and Donovan play as well together as they should. I'm hoping that this will improve.

10. dcole

dcole Member+

May 27, 2005
    My guess is that it's more like this:

GK Keller, Howard
    F Donovan, Ching, Johnson, Twellman, Cooper
    CM Bradley, Carroll, Feilhaber
    RM Dempsey, Mullan
    LM Beasely, Mapp
    RB Cherundolo, Spector, Simek
    LB Pearce, Barrett
    CB Bocanegra, Onyewu, Conrad, DeMerit

I can't see Donovan playing CM in the formation Bradley has been using. And I don't really see Bradley switching to a diamond midfield with this roster. Spector seems very unlikely as a CB given our depth there. The only question for me is whether Spector is being considered more for RB or LB. Barrett's call-in, to me, suggests RB for Spector, but who knows.

11. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    barrett and mullan are more training camp bodies than anything...

they can work themselves higher on the pecking order, and i suspect they will see some playing time against guatemala...

as stated demerit is in camp, and i suspect he'll be saved for the guatemala match, given he holds up during training

12. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd put Bradley in the running for RM as well.

13. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    I AM GOING TO GO OUT ON A LIMB.

As mentioned above, Barrett plays LB and Pearce is already in camp. Cherundolo and Simek are both clear RB's.

There is no need for 3 RB's or 3 LB's.

So when replacing Ricardo Clark......

Maybe Spector is going to get a shot at d-mid.

I have LONG advocated that I think this will actually be his best position. He is tenacious, is a good tackler, has great recovery speed, and his offensive skills are improved. Sheesh he used to be a former forward.

Could this be what Bradley is doing?

I think with Mullan, Donovan moves from MF up top (to replace Rolfe) and Mullan slots to the RM rotation with Dempsey.

14. Scott e Dio93

Scott e Dio93 New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Montevideo, URU
    I think he's doing to help Dynamo players not to lose their match fitness.
    Also, they aren't that bad.

I do agree; Adu and Wynne on national teaml, seems like a better plan.

15. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can see the Mullan call-up (not saying there aren't other options that i probably would have used), but i don't agree with W. Barrett. I understand Bornstein is hurt, but until Burciaga and Dunivant have proven they can't cut it than he's just wasting space. However, I will say this though: i have no problem with him coming into camp to push Pearce, but i don't think he should play.

One thing i'm upset about is why hasn't Beckerman been called into camp to replace Clark? Currently, Carroll is really the only serious option to start either match because in my opinion, Fielhaber hasn't deserved a start and M.Bradley will probably be with the U-20's. And also, there is no doubt that Beckerman needs to be on one of the summer rosters.

*you could also throw in Wynne, but i think there'll be time for him in April or May.

16. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wade is an odd callup. His outlook for 2010 isnt that great due to his current age. Hes a solid defender though, and he may allow for Bradley to do some things with his left midfield he couldnt do otherwise.

Mullan is very much on the age bubble. He could be very useful in 2010, or not so much. Hes a very underappreciated player I think around these parts. When hes on, I dont think many people realize how much of an impact he can have on a game.

17. HSEUPASSION

HSEUPASSION New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Duck, NC
    A central fullback?

18. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    Neither are spring chickens but you're talking about the captain of the best team in our domestic league and qualifiers start in just 1 year. Mullan is also a very good player. Calling these guys into camp makes sense.

No one is annointing them to the 2010 starting line up.

19. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well whether Houston is our best team is neither here nor there, Wade would not be one of my first choices for left back. I think I'd prefer Dunivant who has played well in the few caps he's gotten.

20. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Barrett is even vaguely close to national team material.