Mukwelle Akale

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Scotty, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    I thought I'd start a thread on the USA's U-18 player who was recently named the tournament's best player at the Copa del Atlantico in the Canary Islands.

2. drgonzo

drgonzo Member+

Jun 1, 2011
    Club:
    San Diego Flash
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Been hearing this young mans name for some time now but one has to wonder given how talented he is, if he'll get a legitimate shot at this cycles u20's. The one thing going against him is that we're pretty stacked at almost every midfield and attacking spot so it might be hard for him to break through.

3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    This U20 cycle? No.

Next cycle.....................................

4. soccerndo

soccerndo Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Never know what the coaches are thinking. You must know something that we don't to categorically say "No" to this cycle. I thought he just played against the Argentine U20s and did just fine.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    It's not out of the question. It's just a long-shot when you look at the midfielders/wingers in this U20 group. We've already called up 12 midfielders that are at pro clubs, and that's not counting potential central midfielder Kellyn Acosta. And we haven't yet called up Arriola, who may play as a winger with this group in a 4-3-3. And that number 12 also doesn't count Jordan Allen who US soccer lists as a defender. He may be a winger also for us, depending on our needs at fullback.

The competition for places amongst the attacking players in this particular U20 team is going to be pretty tough. I suspect our U18s will have to wait their turn for the next cycle...........................that's all I'm saying. I'm not against a U18 "playing up" at the U20 level if he demonstrates the ability to do it. If Akele does, then great!

xbhaskarx and Peretz48 repped this.
  6. soccerndo

soccerndo Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Well said my friend well said...guess your "No" just needed a little explanation.

7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I agree for the most part, but if there isn't a CB from the '95 or '96 group that steps up his game, Redding and EPB could be the starting pair at CB. Miazga is obviously in contention for a spot, but there really isn't anyone else who has a better pedigree than Redding or EPB at CB right now.

I think AM/Winger is way too deep for Akale to make the team unless he really shows something special.

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #9 Clint Eastwood, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
    It's possible. CB is a position of need.

It should be mentioned that in my "12" pro midfielders I also didn't count Fernando Arce Jr. and Julian Green.......................

So if I add Green, Arce, Acosta, Allen, and Arriola.............we're already up to 17 potential pro wingers/midfielders for the U20s.

A U18 kid like Akele or Sebastian Saucedo (who I really like) is just gonna have to be damn special to force his way in.

9. soccerndo

soccerndo Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Well, being voted the best player in such a prestigious tournament is something special in my book...I may be wrong but he must have showed something special to those who know the game.

10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I agree. He is probably going to be in contention for a spot, but the U-20's have so much depth at his position. He has a chance at least.

11. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Why? If he continues to follow up his stellar play from the Copa del Atlantico why couldn't he continue to play with the U-20's. People seem too quick to dismiss players because of their age? if he is indeed better than players older than him then why not?

I am not saying he should or should not go, I am advocating that players who are able to perform regardless of age should be considered.

Tom Collingsworth and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #13 Clint Eastwood, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
    As you'll see from my other posts above, I'm not against it. We had two kids playing "up a cycle" on the most recent U20 World Cup squad (Acosta, Steffen).

I just happen to think that in the position he plays, its going to be tough for Akele to push his way thru. On our last squad we had 11 midfielders/forwards. Take out the couple of holding midfielders (in this case the Russell Cannouse, Delgado, Acosta types).................and you're down to 9 or so attacking players. Write out your 9 and you realize its going to be tough for guys like Romain Gall and Lynden Gooch to make it much less a U18. Particularly if Julian Green commits and wants to play for our U20s. Hell, I caused a fuss a week ago when I said I didn't have Joel Sonora in my most recent projection (as meaningless as that is). It's just tough........................

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  13. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United

I know you are not against it, but other than Green who can we say is actually better? We don't have the opportunity to watch these guys or see them the same way the coaches do. All we know is that he was voted the best player at a U-20 tournament that had Spain and Argentina in it. I have no reason to believe any of our other players non- attendees would have walked away with the award, but he did and imo that's a big deal.

My question is: will he be called into the next camp? and will he start in qualifying or is there someone who the coaches will play over him?

14. soccerndo

soccerndo Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Is his name Akale or Akele just a tad confused here...as much as Joel Sonora had impressed during the U17s I have a feeling if he was really that good he would have chosen Argentina over US. He did not very much impress in the last U20 camp either. Anyway this is Akale's tread and we all now know Richie MESSED up big time.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Is it necessary to tear down Sonora in order to appreciate Akale?

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    When somebody says "who's better than Akale?" (presumably at the U20 level).............................my response is that I don't know how good Akale is at the U20 level! That's for Tab to find out if he wants to :)

I take these "player of the tournament" titles with a little grain of salt. We won the Milk Cup in 2010 with a squad of kids that have mostly fallen off the face of the Earth. [finished ahead of Japan, Denmark, Mexico, etc. in the table.] Who was named the player of that tournament ? Adrian Ruelas. So what did that mean?

What it meant was that Big Soccer went thru an Adrian Ruelas phase where we all thought he was some stupendous prospect. He went on loan to Celtic, then went back to Mexico, went on loan to the second division..........................and I have no clue what he's doing in 2014. He's not at Veracruz anymore which is where I noticed him last.

It's not impossible for Akale to make the U20 squad. Kellyn Acosta was a fairly late inclusion on the last U20 squad as he had advanced to the point where the staff felt he was better than the older options. So it happens. I just feel that in the attacking positions this time we're fairly stacked. Right now I'm not projecting Akale to beat out Arriola, Rubin, Flores, Hyndman, Gall, and others. But we'll see. We're still a year away from really needing to make any definitive decisions.

17. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly, how many "player of the tournaments" did Victor Garza win while playing tournaments in Europe with Tigres' youth team? I'd like to see him get a look with the U20s, and when that happens and he does well that's when we should talk about him being on the roster.

18. PacmanJr_00

PacmanJr_00 Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Change of subject, how did LePore hamper this kids development and has there been any indication what Akale has done to get his edge back?

19. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Sounds like it's unclear whether Williams or LePore is more to blame for Akale being named player of the tournament in Spain.

genom, eneste and derek750 repped this.
  20. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    That never happens, of course.

21. soccerndo

soccerndo Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I will also take "player of the tournament" title with a grain of salt if you are named that with the teams you just mentioned and if that really makes you end up with the Celtics great, but I will say its a big deal if you are named player of the tournament with teams like Argentina and Spain in the equation. Rubin and Hyndman were there remember?
    I think Akale has age going for him in that he is eligible for this and the next cycle and IMO Tab should leave him out.

22. soccerndo

soccerndo Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I was just stating the obvious Dave...not depreciating one to appreciate the other.

23. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    That's not how I read your comment, particularly the bit about whether Sonora "was really that good," but -- fair enough. Thanks for responding.

24. soccerndo

soccerndo Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    He would not not have made to the Boca Academy if he wasn't good. All I'm saying is the Argentine youth set up didn't deem him good enough for their youth teams.