Mukwelle Akale at Villarreal

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Mario Balotelli, Apr 25, 2014.

1. PALE568

PALE568 Member

Jun 5, 2003
    mind your own.
    Fwiw, I follow Mukwelle on Instagram, and today (and last week), Mukwelle posted an Instagram story of him eating dinner with Minjae Kwak, who appears to be with California United in the NISA. Perhaps MA is trialing there? Their (Kwak and Akale’s) professional lives don’t appear to cross before this. Kwak is a 21 yr old South Korea-born Californian.

2. NoHammiesAltidore

United States
    Jun 28, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN now lists Mukwelle with Central Valley Fuego in USL1 although nothing has been announced quite yet.
    https://www.espn.com/soccer/team/squad/_/id/21353/central_valley_fuego_fc

3. NoHammiesAltidore

United States
    Jun 28, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm *still* intrigued by this kid, if only as a representation of the type of player we need more of

Deeneaus repped this.
  5. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    We do? Alex Alcala is even smaller so this type is covered.

6. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Well, he's 25.

Out of curiousity, what's that type of player?

7. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All technique, no physicality. We're yet to have a little maestro who can control a game, like a David Silva, Modric, Scholes type

Obviously this kid ain't it but we'll get one one day

8. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Ah, but you forget Ritchie Williams!

9. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    You think David Silva and modric have no physicality?

10. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I'd dispute the lack of physicality for those guys.

I don't think there's anyone out there anymore who succeeds at the highest levels without both technique and physicality.

Our team is simply going to have an increasing and standard, and players with that level of skill are practically worldwide aberrations at this point, not national.

My running assumption is that everyone is going to have to have some level of both.

11. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh for sure, and I'm sure all those guys get discounted in terms of physicality due to their size...but I don't think the maestro type will ever not be needed. It's the genius we watch the games for, not the running. Like the saying goes, for your 10 outfield players you need piano movers and piano players

Winoman and gogorath repped this.
  12. UniversalAdvice

Apr 18, 2018
    #2262 UniversalAdvice, Oct 2, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
    Nice piece covering some details of Akale’s journey over the past few years:

Gives insight on the Pafos move and really sad circumstances around that situation, and also explains how he joined up with South Georgia Tormenta instead of Central Valley Fuego earlier this year due to an injury.

He’s been in the starting lineup a lot since joining and seems to be playing well with a goal and assist so far.

13. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Even though he's in USL1 now, he did make 6 league appearances for Pafos in the Cypriot first tier, so this thread should be finally, mercifully, moved to the main forum.

@bungadiri @dark knight

Deeneaus and dark knight repped this.
  14. Deeneaus

Deeneaus Member+

Aug 29, 2007
    America/Deutschland
    Club:
    Arminia Bielefeld
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cheers to the graduation! Feels like I’ve been following this now grown ass man around for so long.

Btw Paphos is absolutely beautiful and so is Cyprus. I know he enjoyed. :)

Winoman repped this.
  15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    South Georgia's site says he has 10G/4A for them this season. I have no idea if he has more levels in him or whatever (he's in his mid-20s now, wow time flies) but he could've easily packed it in by now and it seems he's resolved not to, so congrats to him.

The Irish Rover and chad repped this.
  16. MN WILD 34

MN WILD 34 New Member

MN United
    Costa Rica
    Sep 25, 2023
    Quality goals as well.

olephill2 and ChicagoVT repped this.
  17. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Akale truthers were most delusional then Hoppe truthers (amongst whom, I count myself).

Boysinblue repped this.
  18. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas

19. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Funny remembering a couple posters who really sold out for this guy

20. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I vaguely recall it being people saw a ton of potential and a skill set not common for American players while also acknowledging physical limitations he would have to overcome. For this website, that is pretty tame.

PalmettoSpur and Gacm32 repped this.
  21. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, it's the usual business for some here. "He's at Villarreal--like, IN LA LIGA!!--so he's got to be way better than X, Y and Z MLSer!"

22. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    What we do know is MLS lifers don't belong anywhere near the USMNT. We also saw Berhalter prove that players X, Y, and Z were actually materially better than the MLS players.

Kind of odd to make this statement when MLS fans over rate everyone of their players. Let's switch to another player i was very interested in for similar reasons to Akale in terms potential, non traditional skilset, and physical limitations. I watched Hyndman's game as often as I could. He was close to making it in the Premier league and probably could have caught on in another top 5 league. He chose to come back to MLS and injuries derailed his career. I was a huge fan and the most I ever asked was he get called in and get a shot.

Let's compare that to say Matt Turner. Out of the blue, a group of fans completely over rated him and ignored his glaring weaknesses. They didn't want him to just get a chance, their untrained eye declared him the best and should immediately start. It is sad to see that after improving tremendously after getting out of that minor league, he is who he always was. Do you remember when there were people who thought Brendan Aaronson was better than Pulisic? What about when Matt Doyle claimed Mihailovic was going to that up the Eredivisie? We could go on for days.

I'd much rather be the guy who gets excited for prospects who might turn into something knowing they might not, than be one of those idiots who think grown men are significantly better than they are. If I remember correctly, there was one guy in here who was pretty vocal about the Villarreal academy/system. To be fair to him, Villarreal is miles ahead of anything in this country.

23. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2273 bshredder, Jan 4, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2024
    Mukwelle Akale.. a very nice kid who somehow brings out the worst in Big Soccer

24. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just checked in on this thread for the first time in years and I'm happy to see Akale still playing and doing well in the USL lower leagues. Also makes me appreciate this community - where else (other than sifting through the noise of Twitter, perhaps?) would someone like me be able to keep tabs on guys like Akale who we all remember from his Villarreal days. Thanks to those of you who've kept posting updates on his career journey here.

Deeneaus and Boysinblue repped this.
  25. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Funny reading back through the thread now… so many Akale truthers.

Some highlights were “I think Akale is the best #10 in the pool right now” and “I think Akale has been La Liga ready for a few years already but Villareal are waiting for him to physically mature” - yikes.