Mukwelle Akale at Villarreal

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Mario Balotelli, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Akale is a CAM, not a striker. Rubin seems to be better suited for the CAM role as well.

Hopefully one or two out of the Novakovich, Spencer, Yomba, Gallardo and Wright quintet comes good and develops into a senior national team level striker.

2. TheObserver89

TheObserver89 Member

Nov 20, 2014
    Even still, a CAM who has a nose for goal, especially ones who can produce in Spain (which hopefully is the case for Muke), are as or more lethal than many true forwards out there.

shockbldxz repped this.
  3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Kagler24

Kagler24 Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Title: Villarreal already enjoying Akale, the latest(villarreal signing) American pearl....hahaha weird title

It goes on to talk about how he made his debut as a sub at halftime against some team called ADM Lorqui. It was a welcome sight for Villarreal as they had been chasing him since last summer, but couldnt sign him because he was 17 at the time. And that he is highly rated in the United States, and the top player of his age group.

Good to see hes already playing over there and seems to have settled in well so far.

5. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Highlights of his first match.... Goalie got a hand on his breakaway. Love how his development is happening and I love how little attention he is getting.....

Testudo, soccerusa517, wixson7 and 4 others repped this.
  6. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Juvenil A is U-19, right?

7. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    He is lightning quick

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  8. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know its just an acadmey team but surely they don't typically just hand a #10 shirt immediately to every kid that walks in the door?

One thing I do know for sure, in-deph, HD, Villarreal Juvenil highlights seem to be far more accessible than just about any other academy set up I've come across. Won't be hard following his appearances.

9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He looks like a very talented player, but I still worry about his height. How tall is he?

10. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Yet, you were never worried that Demarcus Beasley never weighed over 140 lbs? Get over it buddy, it's getting old.

Gerardo Silva repped this.
  11. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    His last listed height from the USSF was 5'2", my guess from that video he's probably now like 5'4"

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    You think Akale weighs 140 pounds?

Its really not getting old. Akale hasn't played a single professional game. There are real concerns about his height. I'm just asking what his current height is. Is he closer to his 5'2, 5'4 or 5'6?

13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I hope you are right. 5'4 is short for a soccer player, but I don't think someone is too short at 5'4 to be an effective player at a high level. Giovinco is around 5'4.

14. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is he gonna get that HGH or whatever Messi was taking to grow taller? I don't think if he's 5'4" that he's too small. 5'2" maybe.

15. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Who says there is real concern over his height? You?

16. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Yeah, I'm sure his Villarreal coaches hardly sleep at night.

Gacm32 repped this.
  17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    There are probably other people that are concerned. I couldn't tell you who, but the odds of a player that height making it as a professional soccer player at a high level are not good.

18. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's several examples of successful diminutive players currently.
    Joao Plata is one of the best young strikers in MLS at 5'1"
    Diego Buananotte has had had several successful years at River Plate and has played for good Malaga teams at 5'2".
    Maxi Moralez has thrived in Serie A for years and he's 5'3".
    Pablo Piatti is 5'4" and has been an excellent player in La Liga for years.
    Lorenzo Insigne is one of the biggest talents in Italian soccer and he's 5'3".

Apart from Plata, most of these guys are slight of frame as well. As long as you can find the right situation, are fleet of foot, and can make quick decisions, size isn't always huge hindrance. He's in the ideal environment for a player with his skillset and physical profile.

Gacm32, ussoccer97531 and Winoman repped this.
  19. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    And yet I still want him taller and stronger than he is now.

20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I agree. I mentioned the example of Giovinco. I'm not saying Akale can't be a very good player, but the odds of someone under 5'5 or 5'6 being one aren't very good.

21. FakeFlopper

FakeFlopper Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Austin, Tx
    This is soccer, I've seen a lot of shorter guys dominate due to their lower center of gravity. It's about skill for people his size, and as long as he fills out some, he won't get pushed off the ball much. If he were playing in the MLS, I'd worry some, but even if he's get to just 5'5, I think he'll be fine.

22. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heights is an absolute non issue for a player of Akale's playstyle. Height does not help you protect the ball when it's at your feet or fight off defenders in traffic. If anything his lack of height will benefit him in the same way it benefits a player like Messi.

Strength and muscle mass could be a concern down the line, but I'm less concerned about Akele's physical attributes than I am 90% of our pools technical attributes.

23. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's his 40 time? Can he jump high? By the way I'm an MLS combine scout and looking for players.

SoccerTheNFLway@yahoo dot com

thanks!

usry723 and Smithsoccer1721 repped this.
  24. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    There is a correlation between height, strength, leverage, muscle mass. Not a direct correlation. That's it.
    Just hoping he maximizes his genetic physical attributes so it will help in on the soccer field.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  25. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

As far as vision ability and smarts he is by far our best prospect and is the only kid in the pool other than Pulsic that has true potential to be a top 4 #10...... but let's freak out because he is not a monster... similar to Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, Atomic Ant, Maradonna, etc.