MUFC '03 Tour-No US Teams

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by 352klr, Oct 5, 2002.

1. 352klr

352klr Member+

Jan 29, 2001
    The Burgh of Edin
    http://espn.go.com/soccer/news/2002/1005/1441468.html

MUFC's first tour of the US in 20 years and not a single mention of playing an MLS team or the US national team. If they want to play the Japanese or Mexican National team, go to their frickin country. I find it hard to believe after signing their deal w. YankeesNets that they wouldn't at least play an MLS team if they want to further their support in our country. But, they didn't exactly say who they wanted to further that support w. I guess it's just Japanese(aren't they big enough in Asia already?) and Mexicans. Of course, all four matches will be sell-outs but it's dissapointing and a slap in the face to the real American soccer fans. Personally, this is one big FU Ck You to MLS, the USNT, and American fans by MUFC if they actually schedule the teams mentioned. IF they aren't coming here to play us, I don't want em coming at all.

2. Elder Statesman

Mar 29, 2002
    Central Park South,
    Does everything have to involve MLS? I've seen a ton of friendlies involving the metrostars and lately, there has been little enthusiasm when team like Boca Juniors and Guadalajara draw less than 15K. Championsworld has put on one event so far Real Madrid/AS Roma which drew over 70K. They put tons of money into advertising and bringing these teams here. If Championsworld wants to put up these types of funds to bring in the top teams in the world then let them. MLS is not going to do it so they're not really competing with one another.

3. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agreed. but i still don't know why they didn't atempt to play the usmnt. imo, that would draw far more fans than the japanese national team would in seattle... and i am aware of the large asian population there so spare me the lesson.

sell out giants stadium with the usmnt, or get 40,000 in safeco for the jmnt?

4. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    I think you would definitely see sell out in both Safeco Field or the new Seattle Seahawk stadium...There's alot Japanese supporters in Seattle.

5. John T

John T New Member

Aug 8, 2002
    South Jersey
    You might want to consider the dates when talking about wanting MLS or the MNT competition. It's right in the middle of the MLS season, so highly doubt the MLS coaches want their best players taken from the squad to play in a friendly.

As for an MLS team playing, I don't see the point in playing a friendly during the season, especially that late in, when injuries usually start pilling up.

Unfortunately, that's the problem with having our league schedule run opposite of the larger leagues in Europe. There's never a good time for our clubs to play each other.

6. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000

The national team plays friendlies in the summer all the time, and yes believe it or not, MLS players do get called in for the games. MLS teams play friendlies with foreign teams when they have a hole in their schedule. Its actually common practice.

7. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Why are all you people arguing? It's about money. Pure and simple. Whomever ChampionsWorld thinks will draw the most fans will be playing. As was proven by Real-Roma foreign teams draw well against each other more so than foreign teams vs MLS teams. As much as I'd like to see how MLS teams fare against Man U, most people would rather see Roy Keane vs Henrik Larsson than Ryan Giggs vs Jay Heaps.

8. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Moved from USMNA. This place seems a better home for it.

9. Werdguy

Werdguy New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    New York
    i don't care too much... i wouldn't mind seeing mu vs juventus in ny at all...

10. pupusa3000

pupusa3000 Member

May 15, 2001
    East Bay Area
    True that Man U doesn't have to play an MLS team although that would be nice, but I think that if they are going to play a national teams, one should be the usmnt. footfetish is right saying that the nats would sell out a stadium rather than draw 40 thou with the jmnt. If championsworld does set up a game without the the nats it would be a shame and a sign of disrespect IMHO. We let these guys come to our home and not even play us ? Thats not cool.

11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well considering Safeco only seats a bit over 47,000 that's pretty close to a sell-out. I think the idea of playing the Japanese National Team in Seattle is that they can offer packages to fans in Japan to come to Seattle, see the National Team, and stay for a couple of Mariners' games to see Ichiro.

12. pugetsoundmls

pugetsoundmls New Member

Oct 6, 2000
    Seattle
    As much as the M's ownership worships the almighty dollar, I think there's close to zero percent chance of this game being played at Safeco. They won't want to risk damaging the field during the middle of the season. Doesn't matter if the team is on the road during this time. Though this could be the second battle between M's ownership and Hawks ownership in attempting to draw the same event to their facilities. The other battle being the bowl game.

The bigger question is whether, and I assume they will, Paul Allen and his group will throw down some temporary grass at Seahawks Stadium for this proposed game. I'm probably being irrational, but I think this whole thing sucks. It's an example of First & Goal toying with the soccer community by showing the care about soccer with this game, when realistically attempting to bring an MLS team to the area would show stronger committment to the sport and be a better sign of goodwill to the people who voted for the stadium. I couldn't care less about ManU or the Japanese NT.

I digress.

13. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    let me just answer the criticism

1. Man U is here to promote ITSELF, make money for ITSELF, not anyone else

2. see number 1 (simple isnt it)

14. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I'd love to see at least some of these be doubleheaders with an MLS game. If ManU and Juventus were played at Giants stadium, I'm fairly confident that a portion of those fans (10%?) might stay to watch MLS. Not only does it boost attendance, but more importantly, it may just bring in a few fans as well.

After watching top notch play from Europe, if they like the level of MLS (acknowledging that it's not a ManU/Juventus level) then they might start coming to an occasional Metros game. And there will be no acceptance of MLS from those cultures until there is exposure. TV or live, those are really the only way you can expose those potential fans to MLS.

-Tron

15. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    not sure why they should play mls teams

we would be in season... maybe some doubleheaders should be hoped for, but not really them playing us

16. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well i agree. i think playing an mls team is out of the question. it IS about money, and that simply would not bring the gate. but if manu (who are also promoting themselves) really want to get new fans, they should play the usmnt. i mean it is a US TOUR.

i realize that they see a golden oppurtinity to draw crowds from our multi-ethnic population, but why would you play those teams and then not even bother with the usmnt? its not as though playing them would be a gamble. the crowd would come.

17. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    The worst thing that could happen to ManU is to lose to any variation of any team residing in the United States.

They are playing here to increase merchandise sales for their stockholders. The entire effort would backfire if the Quakes, Galaxy, or any MLS team beat them, or tied, or lost by only a goal. Suddenly they give credibility to a domestic league that suffers from the perception of being inferior. Anything that changed that perception, however slight, is detrimental to the point of the tour; exploit the weakness, perceived or real, of MLS.

18. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Agree.

Also, ChampionsWorld and MLS/USSF aren't exactly bosom buddies. Didn't Charlie Stillitano and Metrostars have a major falling out?

19. fgn

fgn Member

Jun 14, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    If Man U is here to promote itself, then
    playing Celtic in Boston is stupid, 90% of the crowd will be for Celtic. Playing a mexican team in LA is just as stupid.

20. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another way to think about this is that if ManU played an American team (MLS or Nats), they would be considered the opponent. US fans would want to see ManU LOSE. Whereas if they played teams from outside the US, US fans can treat ManU as the "home team". A nifty psychological trick that easily translates into building up their fanbase (and consumer-base).

- Paul

21. Tejas

Tejas Member+

Jun 3, 2000
    Tejas
    Lets face it, after losing to Bolton the Galaxy must look like Real Madrid to them. They are scared of MLS teams pure and simple.

:p

22. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    ManU also is here to make $$. Who do you think will draw more in LA? Mexico or the Galaxy?

Sachin

23. UncleSam527

UncleSam527 Member

Jan 14, 2002
    If you care about the MetroStars or MLS, you will not go to any games at Giants Stadium.

24. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    These matches are for ex-pats, resident foreign nationals, world football fans, and enemies of US soccer. There is probably considerable crossover among these groups, and I hope at this stage the 4th group is virtually non-existant.

The New York Phil. faces a similar problem every season. The greatest orchestras in the world come here to play -- and they play in Carnegie Hall -- while the Philharmonic plays its season at Avery Fisher Hall in Lincoln Center, where the acoustics are, frankly, inferior to CH.

So the NY papers gush about the glories of the Berlin, Vienna, Chicago, etc., ensembles against which the Philharmonic is measured. It measures up very well, though it plays in a lesser venue. MLS needs to measure up, simple as that -- and as tough as that, too. Once that happens, these freindly exhibitions will become the enjoyable diversions they in fact are.

Until that time, the quality of play and sold out stadia will be rubbed in our face as examples of why real football fans will always reject MLS in particular and US players in general. That's the unfortuate spin put on people simply wanting to take a gander at ManU and other legendery teams from abroad.

25. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    MLS does not need to kiss Manchester United's ring just because they're coming to the states. To do so would just perpetuate the inferiority charge.