Mueller versus Villa for MVP. Am i missing anyone else? [R for potentially any WC game]

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: General' started by vhatever, Jun 30, 2010.

1. RybbRasta

RybbRasta Red Card

Jun 23, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    From Holland Robben no longer in. Very bad game. Sneijder, van Bommel and Kuyt much better.

I think Mueller. Possibly Ayew, but only if he has great game with Holland.

2. Bluecrux

Bluecrux Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Good pick.

He just lacks the statistics and the limelight to compete for it.

And Muller hasn't been very consistent.
    Otherwise his perfomance against England has been one of the best individual perfomance in a game.

3. Sempre

Sempre ****************** Member+

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It's true Messi is a victim of his own outrageously high standards. But Villa, Oezil, and now Sneidjer have simply got better results at the World Cup. I think they are more deserving of a Golden Ball at this point, though as you said in an earlier post, a big match in the semis or final could change everything.

4. vhatever

vhatever Red Card

Jun 16, 2010
    USA
    Really sucks Mueller is out now for the semis. I really think he's been the best player. Scored again today and while he didn't get an assist for it, he should have for his "on the ground" pass to podlski who setup Klose. He was key in 2 goals for Germany today.

I guess FIFA had to make sure to give Spain a consolation prize.

5. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The MVP will go to a player from the WC winner or the at least the finalist. So we only need to pick from the winning country.

Uruguay: Forlan
    Holland: Sneijder(Robben missed too many games. He needs to play liked Maradona in 1986 for the next 2 games if he wants to win).
    Germany: Oezil or Muller.
    Spain: Villa

6. vhatever

vhatever Red Card

Jun 16, 2010
    USA
    Ya, you are right, at this point there are only a handful of candidates and it will come down to who progesses to the final match. I think you are right on all of yours as there really arent a lot of options for the other teams, but I think Germany has several key players... and if Klose scores 2 more goals and passes Ronaldo, he may also suddenly be in the running.
    1. Mueller
    2. Schweinsteigger
    3. Ozil
    4. Lahm(he's been under the radar but has made 3 key plays that saved an easy goal)
    5. Klose, only assuming he passes or equals ronaldo.

I think the gist is there are a whole bunch of prospects for who will win it for Germany. Which is why the penalty hurts Mueller's chances so much.

7. bootroom

bootroom New Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I think it will be hard for Muller unless he scores in the final. Since he misses the next game. Villa has the best chance since Muller sits out. This is all taking into account that the player must be on the winning team. I personally have liked Klose though. Without him Germany looked confused up top. Ozil has been the suprise star of the tournament, hands down.

8. bnice

bnice Red Card

Jul 3, 2010
    Villa is not a player who I would chose as MVP. He is like Olič in CL - he stands at the goal waiting for ball and puts it in.
    Ozil, Muller, Schweinstiger are doing much better job for now. Oh and ofc Lahm. and OFC the most serious candidate for WPOTY Wesley Sneijder.(though he might not have the team to carry him there)

9. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Should Spain reach the final, I think there's no way past Villa as MVP.
    Should Germany reach the final, I think Schweinsteiger will most likely get the award.
    Snejider and Forlan with outside shots, should their teams reach the final.

10. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    I don't think that really matters. He's scored the winner in both knock out rounds and the Honduras games and the opening goal against Chile. If he gets the winner in the semis it will be very hard to give it to anyone else unless they really turn it on in the next couple of games.

11. Cirdan

Cirdan Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Jena (Germany)
    Schweinsteiger should get the award if Germany overcomes Spain, however with no goals scored, I'm not sure he stands a chance... Also, like Vhatever said, there are lots of players in the German team that will steal each others votes, for the other 3 teams, there's an obvious choice.

12. pablo85

pablo85 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    In football MVP doesn't really count, we are not like the Americans that we must have a hero, all of the winning team is the MVP.

13. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    They seldom picked unsung hero. It will hurt Schweinsteiger's chance. They will give it to the flashy players or goal scorers such as Muller or Ozil. Canna won it 4 years ago because Italy did not have a top scorer or anyone flashy.

If Klose breaks Ronaldo's record and finishes as top scorer, then, he will have a chance.

14. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Didn't Zidane win it in 2006?

15. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You are correct. I just lookedf it up. I always thought that Zidane lost it after the headbutt incident. They do pick more flashy players. in fact, I looked up the list of winners and runnerups. Schillaci won it in 1990 even through Italy finished 3rd.

16. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    You aren't serious are you? You haven't watched any of Spain's games with Villa at all then.

I'd say that Schweinsteiger has been the best player in the cup so far. I tend to agree that if Germany win it that he won't get the award though due to him not having any flashy numbers (although Xavi won the mvp for euro 2008 so you never know).

17. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think they award it before the final

18. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    Now that is ridiculous, Messi has been good for me but I never saw the MVP type of performance everyone is talking about. But to be fair to him,he's just a victim of tactics and being misused. Even in the AM position, he kept falling too deep.

Strongly disagree. Muller has been very consistent at least as consistent as you can actually get in a WC. He's been influential vs England and Argentina in both defending and attacking. In the German boards, they're even saying if they don't get someone that can do what he does, then they are doomed. That said, I don't think Muller would win it, as he's not really your flashiest kindof player that FIFA voters love; his game is simple and direct. Unless he scores the decisive goal of the final should the Gerrs progress.

I wouldn't mind Schweini or Lahm getting it either.

19. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That is what I also thought with bayern this year, but his running style and size hide a very very good first touch and a good dribble. Certainly a better dribbler than podolski or schweinsteiger, and trochowski. But he is not "flashy".

20. Plxix

Plxix BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 13, 2006
    Suarez for MVP.

21. vhatever

vhatever Red Card

Jun 16, 2010
    USA
    Schillaci was the italian consolation prize for hosting the tournament. that's how FIFA rolls. Reminds me of youth sports in the USA sometimes " everyone is a winner if they played".

22. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Schweinsteiger for me. Don't care about the stats and neither should the people picking the winner. Shouldn't they be experts looking past statistics ???

Anyways ... remember that the winner is actually picked before the Final if I remember correctly. Making the final game irrelevant.

23. vhatever

vhatever Red Card

Jun 16, 2010
    USA
    Depends on their positions. Some positions' stats are incredibly important. Forwards/strikers and attacking midfielders can usually judged quite accurately by their stats. Holding/central midfielders are very hard to judge by stats. Defenders and GKs nearly impossible from stats. You could have a defender with a crazy save number because he sucked so much his man kept almost making goals on him.

24. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re: Mueller versus Villa for MVP. Am i missing anyone else?

Winners don't take drugs. I hope you have not been smoking something.

25. Bluecrux

Bluecrux Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Muller wasn't good enough in the Serbia and Ghana game.