Mueller versus Villa for MVP. Am i missing anyone else? [R for potentially any WC game]

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: General' started by vhatever, Jun 30, 2010.

1. vhatever

vhatever Red Card

Jun 16, 2010
    USA
    [MOD NOTE: Note the R in the thread title. There is the potential for the results of any WC match to be discussed in this thread. If you are worried about having results of a match spoiled, then read no further.]

After Villas goal today, I was thinking he was my pick thus far for MVP of the tourrnament. But after I looked at the stats, I'm actually leaning more towards Mueller.

Villa has 4 goals, and 1 assist.
    Mueller has 3 goals and 3 assists.

Those are about equal offensive stats. However Villa has played for an entire hour more than Mueller. Not only that but Mueller has 40% shot/goal rate, meaning he is incredibly efficient with the chances he has with the ball, while Villas is still excellent but it's only 20%. Half Mueller's.

Who else do you think should be considered MVP thus far. I was also really surprised at how badly messi's stats are. 1 assist and no goals despite leading the tournament in shots taken.

Higuan's are also really good, now that I look. Though I rememeber I think two of those goals being nearly un-missable.

2. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Re: Mueller versus Villa for MVP. Am i missing anyone else?

The MVP usually goes to a player from the winning team or at least, the finalist. Let's wait until after the QF.

3. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California

It's too early. And, it's not simply about goals and assists.

4. TheLegendUsa

TheLegendUsa New Member

May 31, 2010
    Virginia Beach
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I would say that Gonzalo Higuain could be considered. Now he can match Villa with 4 goals but he doesn't have any assist, yet.

5. vhatever

vhatever Red Card

Jun 16, 2010
    USA

How is it too early? They have played over half the matches they will play in this WC so far, assuming they go to the finals. As I said in the first post "thus far"m of course these will most likely change.

6. Fiorentina 1

Fiorentina 1 New Member

Jan 25, 1999
    Agoura Hills
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Mueller is a huge surprise and the find of the WC. His goals were great, but his assists were even better! Villa is the only marque player that had lived up to expectations to be honest. That guy is amazing!

7. MrSoccerplayer

Apr 11, 2010
    Club:
    --other--

Yea like statistics matter the most, Messi has been performing better than higuain for Argentina and basically created most of his goals, but neither of them should be considered for MVP.

Its a bit early to tell too but Villa is certainly a very strong candidate and so is Mueller , Ozil has some very important performances behind him aswell.

8. navijacica

navijacica Member

Jun 15, 2010

Let's not forget fullbacks who are really good this year. My favorite pick would be Maicon and Lahm who are really everywhere on the field.

Very dissapointing mid so far only Ozil is living up to the expactations.
    It's definately early, most of the players mentioned has not have a single tough opponent.

9. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Statistics don't matter. Messi is the MVP of the tournament so far with Villa a close 2nd. If Messi/Higuain/Tevez had 60 minutes to play against a ten man Aussie team, using an u-10 quality offside trap, who knows how many goals they could have scored. But it's all irrelevant. The MVP of the tournament will come from one of the two finalists.

10. navijacica

navijacica Member

Jun 15, 2010

lol, messi

11. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003

Messi so far, though he wasn't quite as good against Mexico.

As has been pointed out though, let's review after semi-finals.

12. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002

It is too early to say but at the moment, I think Oezil has been the most impressive. If the decision was made now I would expect Villa to win it though. To win it, you've really got to reach the final or be the top scorer and reach the semis so anything can happen.

For me Messi has been good but not great. He was ineffective against both Greece and Mexico until they had to chase the game and then gave him more space. That's more a credit to the marking jobs on him than a slight on him, however.

13. vhatever

vhatever Red Card

Jun 16, 2010
    USA

It seems people think because Messi had an incredible league season, that he's incredible on his national team. I really havent been too impressed, but I realize he's being nulified by a lot teams and that extra effort opens up his teammates. Still, I actually have liked Tevez more than Messi. And I don't think either are MVP candidates.

Rooney for MVP!

14. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY

The favorite right now is Lucio IMO. After that it's roughly a tie b/w Messi, Villa, Mueller, Suarez and Robben.

Nobody is standing out enough to the point where they can win MVP unless their country wins the trophy though.

15. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003

Robben and Lucio? WTF?

Robben? Honestly?

16. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I just added an R to the thread title and a note to the OP, so folks can feel free to discuss any WC results in this thread.

17. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY

Brasil looks the best team so far. And it all starts at the back with them. Lucio has been great so far and there is nobody up front who has really stood out. Maybe Ramires but he's suspended now for their big QF match so that will probably kill off his chances. And it would be unfair to give an attacker for Brasil the MVP considering the team's balance (like Italy 2006).

If Holland wins the WC, I see Robben getting the MVP (big "if" granted). They weren't playing that well until he came back. Now they are at least 2 gears higher. Van Persie has been average-to-poor and there's no Dutch defender who would stand a chance. It would be b/w Robben and Sneijder but Robben will stand out more should Holland win I think.

18. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania

I love Messi but his performances have been criminally overrated. He's been good but not great as someone mentioned. Oezil, Muller, Villa and Forlan have had better WC's IMO.

Oezil and Villa lead the way but like Escape goat said, the MVP is given to someone from either team of the finals. So we'll have to wait and see, but my vote goes to Oezil thus far.

19. Bonus_Game

Bonus_Game Member

Sep 30, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For each of the quarterfinalists:

Uruguay - Perez
    Ghana - Gyan
    Netherlands - Sneijder
    Brazil - Maicon
    Argentina - Messi
    Germany - Oezil
    Paraguay - Vera
    Spain - Villa

20. Dutch Treat

Dutch Treat Member

May 6, 2005
    Amsterdam|Alphen a/d Rijn
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    For the Netherlands it's not Sneijder or Robben, it's actually van Bommel.

But even van Bommel is not close to some of the other names mentioned. My pick would be one of Maicon, Villa or Mueller.

21. Sempre

Sempre ****************** Member+

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Mueller will not be MVP of the tournament. What he is very likely to win is the award for best young player.

The MVPs of the tournament have been Villa and Oezil. They have been tremendous--and versus better opposition than Messi has seen. I love Messi as a player, but his cheering section have become a little tiresome. He's been a far cry from Maradona in '86.

22. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    The usual suspects:
    1- Messi (or Higuain's tap in goals?)
    2- Villa
    3- Sneijder or Robben (depend on next 2 big games)
    4- Fabiano or Maicon
    5- Ozil (or Klose if advanced and gets few more goals)

Other potential candidates: Ozil, Lucio, Robinho, Tevez, Bommel, Xabi Alonso ....

23. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Schweinsteiger.

24. vhatever

vhatever Red Card

Jun 16, 2010
    USA
    Sneijder had a great game today in one of the biggest clashes so far. Goes to the top of my list.

1.Sneijder
    2. Mueller
    3. Villa
    4. Oezil

25. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that's your standard then FIFA won't be handing out a Golden Ball award at this world cup.

I think what hurts Messi is the high expectations from the fans & media. We all know what he can do. If any other player in this world cup put in the 4 performances he gave thus far they would unanimously be considered the front runner for the Golden Ball. But since it's Messi, it's just considered a standard performance from him. Everybody expects Messi to score 2 or 3 goals a game now and when he doesn't it's considered an average or poor performance. But an average performance from Messi is better than a great performance by 99% of the players in the world.