MTV Classic

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by SJJ, Jul 28, 2016.

1. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    VH1 Classic (a channel that I watched quite a bit except for their heavy metal programming) is changing to MTV Classic. The promo's are chock-full of classic MTV shows.

Some of my fave classic MTV programming (other than their straight music programming):
    • Just Say Julie - love the redhead Julie Brown
    • Remote Control - a comedic game show
    • underrated: The Ben Stiller Show - which also introduced us to Janeane Garofalo
    • Aeon Flux - a cartoon (with no voices) about a sexy female spy; originally part of an animation block called Liquid Television
    • Wonder Showzen - o.k. I'm a bit on the weird side
    • Like We Care - their first (and as far as I remember, only) topic-driven talk show

MTV Classic is starting (Monday morning) by re-airing the first hour of programming. They had done that before, including the gaffes (such as the host saying, "aren't those great guys or what?" then playing the list of original VJ's. (VJ: "video jockey," a play on "disk jockey" of radio days). Also, I liked the bit of writing in to get stickers to put on your cable box, so you can remember what channel is MTV on your system.

2. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2 Dills, Jul 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  3. bukie2k

bukie2k Member

Mar 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    Enjoyed the Metal Mania marathon they had going yesterday morning, so many cringe worthy videos that were more or less cutting edge 35 years ago. Speaking of which, found it funny looking back that Judas Priest videos back in the day were basically a pseudo singles ad for Rob Halford. Truly a man ahead of his time.

4. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Set my DVR to record their first hour, which was this morning at 6AM I think. Also have a bunch of "Unplugged" episodes set to record ... Nirvana, Dylan, Alice in Chains, Neil Young, et al.

5. General Disarray

General Disarray Legendary

Jul 7, 2005
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. General Disarray

General Disarray Legendary

Jul 7, 2005
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does Real World still exist?

8. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    General Disarray repped this.
  9. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Do they play Slaughter's "Up All Night" every night at 3am like they did in 1990?

Don't ask me how I know they played Slaughter's "Up All Night" every night at 3am in 1990.

Dills repped this.
  10. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I met Dave Kendall the 120 Minutes host at a CBGBs show. Might've been Swervedriver who were SUPER loud.
    My friend and I goofed on him until he ducked out.

Swervedriver - Autodidact

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  11. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny, I stopped watching MTV by the mid-80s. Thanks for reminding me that I'm getting old...

12. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    For some reason old MTV videos pop in my head now & then and I can't stop humming them. Was watering the vegetables this morning and thought of Little Sister with Robert Plant & Rockpile. No effing idea why. :D

Ismitje and QuakeAttack repped this.
  13. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL. The one's that pop into my head are always the bad ones like Flock of Seagulls, Cindy Lauper, etc. Well, not always. Sometimes I go off on She's Got Leg's by ZZTop.

14. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get music videos stuck in my head a lot. Even ones that I don't remember the artist or the song. One from the 80s that has been most recently in my head is a video where the group is in a tree house and they all have bright red hair like Howard Jones' 80's do. I think there was like big rubber bands hanging from the ceiling, too. Either that was actually a video or someone made me a ruffiecolada that made me imagine that.

15. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    "Closet Classics"

16. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And in a less-publicized change, the MTV Hits channel is rebranded as "Nick(elodeon) Music," playing the taylor-swift-iest music around. Tag line is something like "where music comes to play... the Nickelodeon way."

EvanJ repped this.
  17. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I gave you rep for that and posted it on Pulse Music Board, which has a lot of members. Ryan Tedder, the singer of OneRepublic, said he reads Pulse Music Board. If you want to read what music fans think of the changes, you can go to http://pulsemusic.proboards.com/thread/160187/vh1-classic-turns-mtv-august

18. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, Evan. Don't have a lot of time to check the other board you mentioned, right now, but my first reaction to "Nick Music" is that it is "mostly" the old MTV Hits, but a bit more sanitized for the younger crowd.

One thing that is a slight bummer is that there is no longer an officially "MTV" branded channel that just plays music; MTV2 is now closest, but does play some long-form programming.