MSG shafts open cup soccer fans

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by humstein, Oct 16, 2003.

1. humstein

humstein New Member

Jun 2, 2003
    Last night's Open Cup game was shown on Fox Sports World and MSG network, sort of.
    Now all in all MSG has done a good job covering the Mighty Mighty Metros. Hiring JP Dellacamera and Steve Cangalosi has upgraded the broadcasts. Plus the MSG sportsdesk now treats soccer with respect and none of the anit-soccer wisecracks that used to be heard on ESPN.
    However, last night they interrupted the Open Cup Game right in the middle of the first half in order to show a recap- highlight show of yesterday's already over Yankee playoff game.
    A few games ago they waited untill the break between the periods of a ranger game to show the highlight show. But soccer - hell who cares about shafting soccer fans!
    Now I know the reasons they did this. The Open Cup wasn't an Msg broadcast but a pickup of the Fox Sports World feed. The game was on Fox Sports World etc. MSG doesn't own the Metros.
    BUT- MSG is a basic cable feed in NYC -FSW is not- I and a lot of other people do not have FSW. We were screwed (pardon my french).
    I think we should do something about this lack of respect. Personally I called a major New York newspaper and alerted the soccer reporter to this outrage.
    It's time we soccer fans demanded the respect we deserve.

2. law5guy

law5guy Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Good for you... but... looks like New York didn't respect the Metros...
    US Soccer reports - Attendance: 5,183

The guys in the TV truck probably (and it seems rightly so) thought that not too many folks in NY give one rat's behind about soccer with that kind of crowd showing up at the game. So... switch to something that folks just MAY care a little bit about???

What a disgrace!! Any other team and you would be demanding that they relocate to an a city that would put butts in seats. If the Rino's were in the final... I am SURE that the game would have sold out!

Cheers... and enjoy your loss.

3. humstein

humstein New Member

Jun 2, 2003
    Lousy attendance doesn't excuse lousy coverage

I hear what you say and the attendance was lousy.
    But- Low attendance doesnt mean that there weren't a significant number of people watching the cup on MSG, infact some people probably stayed home so they could see the Yankee game live on Fox and then switch to the cup at its conclusiong.
    and
    MOST IMPORTANTLY- The decision to interrupt the Cup was most certaintly made not in any truck but in some executives office well before anyone knew what the attendance would be last night.
    I can assure you that if 50,000 people had been at Giants stadium MSG would still have cut into the game.

4. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    I have no sympathy for you, If you are from New York and wanted to see the game than you should have went to it.

5. firstandsecond

firstandsecond New Member

Jul 23, 2001
    philadelphia/london
    also once again.. way to go with thoose NFL lines ..

living in england i was suprised when the hilights of the cup match came across last night.
    then i was almost embarassed that for the national pro cup final they couldnt even get a pitch together with proper lines down..

im sorry but this is a joke

6. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    what station were highlights on?

7. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Everyone was pre-warned that MSG would be interupting the game for anything to do with Yankees baseball. Personally, I am just pi$$ed at every single NYC soccer fun who didn;t bother showing up for the most importane game in the Metros history. W@NKERS!!!

8. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus, Fox Sports World was originally going to carry the game by themselves. But MSG went the extra mile and picked up the feed as a service to those who don't get FSW. So you are complaining because they were nice?

In other words, you could have either gone to the game or watched on Fox Sports World.

MSG certainly has to be the best regional sports network for soccer we have in the country. They show every MetroStars and Power (RIP) game not on ESPN/PAX (with a pregame show and post-game coverage), a weekly recap show, plus some of the FSW EPL stuff. And the have one of the best PBP guys in the country in JP Dellacamera. You have less than zero reason to complain.

9. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL

I was at the game, and I was totally embarassed. If it was a joke, I wasn't laughing. My choice would have been to hold the match in Columbus, in a stadium designed and lined for soccer. I'm still outraged at the thought of our national championship on that miserable gridiron.

Columbus probably would have drawn more than 5k, too.

10. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Fire Max Bretos.

11. Max Bretos is overrated.

12. KCWiz

KCWiz New Member

May 8, 2003
    Manhattan, Kansas
    stop bitching. its important. its america. its baseball. put 'em together. geez.

13. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    You won't be saying that when those baseball fans talk crap of soccer.

14. Es Brennt

Es Brennt Member+

Feb 25, 2003
    Shermer, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I admit to watching the Cubs game in a local boozer, but I caught the replay the next night. It was an embarassment for American soccer. I spent the whole day talking up the Fire victory "in one of the oldest competitions in the country (and world)"
    only later to hope that nobody was watchin that rebroadcast. WHat the hell NY/NJ?! Is that all ya got? The game looked like crap on TV. It should have been played here in Chicago where we already had 50K in the seats for the Mexico v UruGuay mtach...even if they thinned out or didn't give a damn about the game it would've looked better for the sport on TV.
    Oh well, I'm happy even if the rest of the country dosn't care about the USOC.

15. Michael Russ

Michael Russ Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    Last night I turned on MSG to see the Metro's Revolution match, and there was a college football game on. (along with a college football game on ESPN, ESPN2...)

I checked back when the football game was over, and they showed the last 10 minutes of the Metrostars game.

16. Brrca Fan redded

Brrca Fan redded Red Card

Aug 6, 2002
    Chasing Tornadoes.
    Move Metros to the Bronx. I don,t use MSG any way.

17. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Over the entire season, MSG has some of the best soccer / MLS coverage going. We get every game covered on either MSG or FSNY, we get a 30 minute NY soccer show, plus they show different EPL games.

MSG should be thanked for showing soccer at all and actually doing a good production job for Metrostars games, not ragged on....

18. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The replay at noon the next day showed the 1st 30 minutes without match commentary and all you heard was the ESC.

19. KCWiz

KCWiz New Member

May 8, 2003
    Manhattan, Kansas
    hey. guess what. i'm a baseball fan and proud of it. do i talk crap about soccer? no. but admit it. baseball is more important in america.

20. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Hells yea!!!!

ESC baby!!!!

Greatest firm in the world!! :)