MSG comments

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by NJPsycho, Oct 1, 2003.

1. NJPsycho

NJPsycho New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Dirty Jerzee
    I'm still unsure of Steve Cangilosi announcing games. He has the enthusiasm and he knows the game, but his "little kid" voice is killing me. Maybe he should stick to the pre-game? What would Tab do?
    During the replay of the last game (which was repeated 3 times) the second half wasn't shown until the 61st minute!
    Don't get me wrong, MSG still does the best job of covering a soccer match in the US.

2. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Steve is fine. He is not only enthusiastic, but knows how to channel that enthusiasm without sounding like Rob Stone.
    Replays of live broadcasts on MSG are always savagely cut to fit time constraints. This is nothing new.

3. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    I remember when Steve was the host of NY1's Sports on One at 11 pm

he's certainly got a cozy job now :)

4. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, what Roehl said, replays are cut. MSG does it with Rangers Rewind, the Knicks, and YES does it with the Yankees, so it is not uncommon.

5. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    I like Steve. I think he does a good job.

6. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ
    I think Shep Messing has to go... i cant stand listening to him anymore. He is so negative towards the Metros. Yes, i know that the Metros dont give him a reason to be positive all the time and i know he played for the best soccer club this country has ever seen but c'mon, If i wanted to listen to that i would invite my "MLS sucks, EPL rules" soccer friends over so that they could bash the Metros.

When i'm watching a game i want to be listening to someone that has the same love for the team as I do... i know that may not be possible but they can at least try. Shep has that "I should be out there" attitude that i dont like at all.

Another thing is that if a newcomer happens to be watching the game on MSG and hears this guy saying "MetroStars" and "awful" or "ugly soccer" in th same sentence, which he does quite a bit, do u think that potential fan is gonna wanna put up money to go watch "awful soccer"? I see commentators as critical figures to the growth of this sport in this country. They have to sell it as worthy soccer to the unknowledgeable fan much like a used car salesman makes a used car sound better then it really is. Shep is the bad used car salesman that turns potential buyers away (good for the customer but bad for the company).

Yes, i appreciate the fact that Shep tries to be as straight forward as possible, but as a knowledgeable fan(I think I am) I see whats happening on the pitch and dont need Shep making matters worse... I must say though he aint so bad when we play well.

VIVA METROS!!!!!
    WE WANT THE CUP!!!!

7. studsup

studsup New Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Garden State, born N
    Red&Black - "commentators as critical figures to the growth of this sport."

You are on the money with that! What Mohmmad Ali and Howard Cosel did for the sport of Boxing should be required study for any commentator!

For me, I still think Tommy Smith is the best I've seen.
    Knowledgeable. Funny. Very enthusiastic. He's the only one that says , "Put one in the The O'l Onion Bag."

He used to do color on a lot of games, now just has that lame, It's Your Game mini moment.

8. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ali wasn't an announcer.

But I agree with the statement. Take Mel Allen for the Yankees, or Vince Skully for the Dodgers. What Skully did was amazing because he was a Giants fan growing up, yet you wouldn't never know it from his broadcasts. I would also add Marv Alpert for the Knicks. These guys did more than just announce. They created new generations of fans. There are many others of course, but these are the ones I am familiar with.

9. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We already have that. His name is JP Dellacamera

10. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Knowing that there are guys like the DC radio announcer out there, I'm more then happy with the Metros crew.

11. studsup

studsup New Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Garden State, born N
    Red Card -"Ali wasn't an announcer. "

We're really on the same page here and of course I know Ali wasn't an announcer but he got more TV & media exposure than most! He elevated all of his outings to major special events!

If MLS had a good player that was really media friendly and was a kick and a half to interview you'd see a lot more going on. You gotta make it fun and let that casual fan tuning in have a terrific experience.

Whenever I see a game on the Univision family, I can't understand the language but I sure can tell the announcer's having a hell of a good time!

12. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Tommy Smyth was like Shep in a way because he also critized the team.

I have no problem with Shep because most of the time what he says is true. Would you perfer someone who would say after a loss that it was a tough game and the Metros tried their best? Or someone like Shep who isnt afraid to point out the weaknesses of the team?

Have you ever watched the ManUtd games from MUTV on Yes? These guys are freeking hiliarous because they're so impartial. And this coming from a life long ManUtd supporter.

13. stinky

stinky Member

May 14, 2000
    Long Beach, NY
    i normally don't have such an issue with shep and think him and jp are the best out there...but after woly scored that golazo vs. columbus theres absolutely no reason to say that he wouldn't be able to hit that 99 out of 100 times....

as far as i'm concerned, woly got 1 chance and buried it....rather than marvel at the goal, shep insulted woly's skill and attributed to 99% luck....

while there was some involved....woly was trying to do that....luck has more with getting an unexpected result....

14. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ

Yes what he says is true... thats not in question here, its the mannor in wich he points the weaknesses out. I rather him say they didn't play at their best or like their normal selves instead of putting the entire team down making it sound like they play the same way every game. If i was watching a game for the first time and hear some guy say "awful soccer" repeatedly.... that would be the last game i'm watching. Now if he said "they're not playing like they can" or "they're not playing like they normally do" i would tune in the next game to see how they would do in that one.

Personally i dont care who is calling the game... it just bothers me when i think the commentary is turning away potential new Metros fans... and this is what this whole league needs.. more fans.

15. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's bullcrap.

Shep was orgasmic about that goal. He couldn't stop gushing about it, just like Cangelosi. He called it the Goal of the Year. And oh yeah, he also made that one comment.

But don't take my word for it. They've still got the video clip of the goal at MLSNET in both Windows Media and Real Video formats.

16. djdustmite

djdustmite New Member

Aug 13, 2003
    NJ
    I'm going to put my vote in for the whole MSG crowd.

JP: this guy is the best in the business right now. Knowledgeable, good voice, good delivery. He's the man for the job. I've been catching a bit of the WWC and was psyched he was in the Box but cringe every time I have to hear his co-hosts. eeeegadzzz...

Shep: c'mon. you've just gotta laugh at the guy. Hey Shep! 1979 called and they want your hair and 'stache back. He's human and accordingly balances both JP and Steve really nicely. Awkward at times sure. Unforgiving at times, sure. But I think that you'd probably find in his heart of hearts he's a real fan of the Metros. He's just kinda playing that really hard-nosed father role...

Cangialosi: Yeah the voice... well: Good with the bad I guess. He really does a great job and earns Very high marks for his professional enthusiasm. Compare the MSG calling of the Woly Columbus smash to the same on FSW. Harkes and that other clown make an epic goal (by ANY standards) into a non-event. (PS I'll take the Metro Soccer Repot over MLS Wrap anyday.)

GO MSG.

17. Simon Templar

Simon Templar New Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Does anyone remember?

Has everyone forgotten when we could not see ANY highlights or analysis... all of a sudden everyone wants to whine that it all should be better... I for one am thankful for all these guys/stations giving two sh/ts about mls or soccer in general.

My hat is off to both the MSG, FSW staff and to ESPN's Rob Stone who is a big proponent of soccer regardless of whether you like his delivery or not. Keep up the good work guys!

18. nymetrostars2002

nymetrostars2002 New Member

Jan 11, 2002
    bronx ny
    a) Cangilosi b) ,Richie Williams or c) Bob Costas, which would you want on your basketball team? anwser ; none of em. but lets keep them where they are , leprechauns are Good Luck.!!!

19. djdustmite

djdustmite New Member

Aug 13, 2003
    NJ
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I don't WATCH or appreciate MLS Wrap...

The point is well made though. We're certainly in a much better soccer-on-tv-position than ever before.