Mr. Josmer Volmy Altidore

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by 50/50 Ball, Aug 22, 2016.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    not if you're in Europe right now

2. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    You know what kind of baffles me about the whole "Jozy is still our #1 striker" chorus?

I would at least know where it's coming from if Josh Sargent or Sebatstian Soto were doing better in BuLi and a YA was about to take the position. Then I would know it's probably MLS pushing the narrative and understand why.

But the thing is, the real #1 plays in MLS also. So ..... ?

3. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS isn't pushing Altidore. He's our first choice for competitive matches. Soto and Sargent aren't there yet.

Sargent would have started tonight if he'd been available. Soto may get some minutes on Monday.

Marko72 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Jozy may or may not be useful but he has to earn the no.1 striker spot. He shouldn't simply be a starter because he has 100 plus caps or because his competition sucks. Managers have to take risks and I feel Sargent/Soto are coming along fine.

sXeWesley repped this.
  5. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Gyasi is pretty clearly #1, IMO.

6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    hopefully not for long.

7. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    I dont like him but I like him better than Antiscore. I want to see Josh start right now. He is playing in a higher league than Altadore ever had any success at and he deserves a true shot. Jozy and Bradley should be done by now. In the UK, Jozy's home fans used to call Jozy "the log." I wonder why??? :rolleyes:

8. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Well, hopefully, Robert Lewandowski performs his one-time switch to us. But I don't see that happening. And given that two of our young strikers couldn't unseat Sebastian Lletget ..... it doesn't say a lot for their future.

I would love to have a better striker. But Gyasi keeps scoring goals off his face. And his competitors keep .... not rising to the challenge.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  9. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

10. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weah is not match fit. Soto is young and playing in a lower league in a small country. GB put Lletget in a position which should have allowed Reyna and Musah to flourish. Musah did OK, Reyna chased the ball like a 17 year-old trying to impress his boss in his debut.

I don't know why Lletget, probably because he's been working with Berhalter for a couple of years and understands the way he wants you to play.

Marko72 and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  11. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

My only counter to Soto playing in the minors is that he has been in this 4-3-3 with the US for years and has been a striker for his entire career. I would rather have a 2nd tier striker than a moonlighting CM.

12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    they need only more opportunities. Berhalter needs only to take some risks. They'll pay off sooner or later.

13. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just think GB wanted someone with experience of his "principles" rather than have four debutants playing in the four attacking slots.

I don't see it happening again.

Marko72 repped this.
  14. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just saw this on Reddit. I don't think I'd ever seen the Dutch Cup winning goal in context before.

15. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow! Based on 5 minutes of attacking highlights from a decade ago I've drawn the conclusion that Dutch defending is s**t! ;)

LouisianaViking07/09 and 50/50 Ball repped this.
  16. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I definitely never saw this in context before. Jozy probably made a lot of money doing this to Ajax.

1351888349401915395 is not a valid tweet id

17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
  18. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder what his career would have been had he stayed at AZ...

19. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it's possible in the way the soccer market works. A better move would have been from AZ to Ajax and then directly to a non-relegation battler.

Marko72 and xbhaskarx repped this.
  20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Another season might have pulled off a real title challenge and got him a move to a non-desperate Premier League club. I would have figured he would have got a good move to the Bundesliga or Serie A. In fact, I wanna say Napoli was interested once upon a time.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2013...wing-interest-clubs-premier-league-bundesliga

21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    50/50 Ball repped this.
  22. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They had Sigthorsen, who was excellent and Altidore had replaced at AZ and Milik and Zivkovic coming up in the youth ranks, who were both superior to Jozy. Jozy was an absolute force in the Eriedivisie though, no doubt.

He is done with the national team now though, regardless of debating his skills and whatnot relative to others, he is always injured, coming off of an injury and completely incapable of 90 minutes at an international level. Thanks legend, time to hang 'em up for the USMNT.

23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    But summer 2013 Jozy had to be looking like a better alternate to Sigthorsen but 13 million dollars might have been far too much for Ajax.

It's a shame Jozy didn't stick with Verbeek. He made Jozy into one of the best goalscorers in the league.

24. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    That pass by Altidore, pretty much summed him up.

garbage first touch that hit his hand, followed by a world class silky pass for the assist.

by the time he vastly improved his one- touch passing and accuracy under pressure, he became injured too much for anyone to see it over an extended period of time.

SCSAutism and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  25. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt he's done. I said it elsewhere but as far as qualifiers go, there's not much risk to using him. It's the tournaments with the locked rosters that are scarier.

ifsteve repped this.