Mr. Josmer Volmy Altidore

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by 50/50 Ball, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Explain the two seasons in Holland, explain why his non-scoring production does not jump from his Sunderland/Hull numbers to his first season with Toronto. Jozy's form and confidence tanked, his health/fitness was not great. Now both things have improved and he's playing better (even if his goal/90 rate is slightly lower, for the time being). Losing marginal muscle mass doesn't make a player more talented, getting healthier and fitter allows a player to apply those talents more consistently.

gtstock and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    #177 IndividualEleven, Oct 4, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
    I am referring to Jozy's improvement between the 2015 MLS season and the 2016 MLS season.

dribble success/failure ratio per 90 min = 25% improvement
    aerial win percentage = 44%
    goal creation per 90 = 54%
    tackles = 13%
    interceptions = 400%
    fouled = 50%
    fouls = 30%
    clearances = 300%
    unsuccessful touches = 0%
    dispossession = 0%

He is far more active yet his poor touches and possession loss have not increased. He lost weight and improved between the 2015 MLS season and the 2016 MLS season.

The reasons for struggles at Hull City, Villareal, and Sunderland and his successes in the Eredivisie and MLS should be pretty evident. But those reasons aren't directly related to my posting on the improvements he has made during his current MLS stint.

Jozy lost significant weight on an already lean, athletic body. There is nothing marginal about that. Also, he was fitter last season. He has significantly fewer starts due to injury this season.

3. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    So is the argument that prior to this weight loss, Jozy was not capable of doing what he is doing this season in MLS? I just want to know what the parameters of the argument are.

My argument is that Jozy has shown this 2016 level of performance before his weight loss. That the weight loss combined with the work to solve his hamstring issues has helped him regain that form (by being fitter, not carrying a knock, and not being afraid to push due to chronic injury issues) but it did not cause his ability to reach it. That there are other mental, social, and peer factors that also helped. That his first season with TFC was part of a Sunderland hangover. That absent this weight loss he could be doing the vast majority of what he has been doing because it happened in the past at a higher level.

I possibly could have chosen a simpler word than "marginal",
    1. Of, relating to, or situated at the edge or margin of something.
    but I thought it would convey more information.

4. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    From an MLS article on Jozy.

5. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    “The biggest part there is that [Jozy] trusts himself, that he trusts his own body, his own situation; because over the years when you have those issues they’re kind of implemented in the back of your mind,” Klinsmann said.
    Dear Herr. Klinsmann,
    The big word you are looking for is "implanted".

6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Haven't dropped by here in a while. Happy to see the Jenny Craig of BS is still working the floor.

Just wanted to point out that Jozy's 2016 stats: .61 goals every 90 mins. 22.5 scoring % are much better than his 2015 .65 goals every 90 mins, 35.1 scoring %...

Wait. They are worse? But... Nevermind.

7. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    21 Goals, 1 Assist, in 40 Appearances (34 starts) in 2015
    11 Goals, 2 Assists, in 24 Appearances (17 starts) in 2016

Yup, pretty similar. I imagine Jozy had injuries LY, right? He had some this year of course.

8. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Jozy's activity stats are much higher than last season's. No amount of chuckle-headed selective use of data can alter this.

9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    selective data like goal per 90 minutes? Or % of shots that go in?

Luckily, he's winning the all important activity stats. His fitbit will thank him.

10. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    WTF are you babbling about?

There's no luck involved. He put the work in to shed the bulk.

11. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Well goals per 90 minutes means the number of goals a player score for every 90 minutes they play.

And % of shots mean what percentage of shots a player takes goes in for a goal.

You are welcome.

Love,

freisland

12. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it possible that he is being forced to do more playing without Seba?

13. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    What?? You have to play differently with different personnel? that's insane!

14. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/...cademic-toronto-fc-analysts-den?autoplay=true

Video with analysis from Matt Doyle shows Jozy's goal and assist from last night. He also won the ball, and made the long pass to put Giovinco in space to make his own goal, he was creator and finisher on the play and on the night.

As long as he is healthy and playing like this, Jozy is the first name on the team sheet for me right now.

15. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    His improvement has been pretty comprehensive. From over a month ago which was the last time I checked:

dribble success/failure ratio per 90 min = 25% improvement
    aerial win percentage = 44%
    goal creation per 90 = 54%
    tackles = 13%
    interceptions = 400%
    fouled = 50%
    fouls = 30%
    clearances = 300%
    unsuccessful touches = 0%
    dispossession = 0%

He was 7/7 on aerials today and 10/10 for the playoffs. That is another example of his outstanding improvement with the weight loss.

16. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    All Jozy needs to do to make it in England is run over a gypsy and be cursed by their elderly relative.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  17. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Jozy is on the right path to being effective against good international squads. No idiotic snark needed.

18. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Every day Bobby Wood has gotten a red card for elbowing someone in the stomach Jozy has scored and won 100% of his aerial duals, coincidence, I think not.

19. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Some folks act out when they're wrong. Whatever.

20. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    “The biggest part there is that [Jozy] trusts himself, that he trusts his own body, his own situation; because over the years when you have those issues they’re kind of implemented in the back of your mind,” Klinsmann said. “Hopefully he can have the ability to delete all these thoughts and then become just a very consistent performer for his club team, but also does well for the national team.”

21. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    He has only come to 'trust himself' this year. Not in the Eredivisie. Not with the MetroStars. Certainly not in England. Trust. Trust. Trust.

It'll make you cover considerably more ground. Jump higher. Create more chances for others. Trust.

That's decades of exercise science out the window there.

22. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    GPG = -6%
    Scoring % = -34%
    PK scoring % = 3/3 in 2015, 0/1 in 2016
    And he played less minutes this year...

He may play different, but he has not been demonstrably more effective. Jozy is a good player. He was a good player at AZ. He has been a good player for the USMNT. He was a good player at Toronto in 2015. He was a good player at Toronto this year.

I don't know what is so complicated about that.

23. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he was talking about trust in his recently dodgy hamstrings, not in his ability.