Mr. Josmer Volmy Altidore

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by 50/50 Ball, Aug 22, 2016.

1. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    i am not a jozy hater at all, i just hate hes always injured

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    He needs to talk to Lewandowski's physio because that Pole is rarely ever injured despite playing in every match for Munich for years now.

3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Honestly why haven't we played with a false nine yet? Spain did it in Euro 2012 or maybe it was Euro 2016.

4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    what about for the assists?

5. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He'd been doing well with the muscle injuries. Since guys just seem to get hurt.

I don't follow other national teams but the USMNT always seems to be down a big player since I started following in 2001.

Reyna
    Mathis
    O'Brien
    Gooch
    Davies
    Holden
    Jones
    Jozy
    Brooks
    Adams

6. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    on national team and league play in recent years my guess would be jozy pulisic arriola morris do fine

an interesting aspect to this is whether wings should be picked for assists or for goals

it kind of speaks to whether we are feeding the 9 as the focus, or whether we want goals from wide

something worth tossing out there is jozy and zardes have played wide in league, and that used to be zardes nt role, and i think sargent has the precision type skill to contribute from wide -- just don't play the ball into space expecting him to outrun people to it (ditto at striker)

this being said there are wides in the program (broadly speaking) like ebobisse who if we want assists from wide have almost none in league ball so why choose them?

7. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1200819675275223040 is not a valid tweet id

For all the "Jozy is overweight" people.

8. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Jozy is jacked. People tend to think he carries too much muscle. I think he’s just built like that.

TCS35, Gacm32, 50/50 Ball and 1 other person repped this.
  9. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Exactly. Some people just have a higher amount of muscle mass than others, regardless of training techniques.

10. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He may be built like that while also carrying too much muscle.

Kinda like I'm built like that while also carrying too much fat.

DHC1 repped this.
  11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    No need to be ashamed for carrying that much fat. It'll see you through the winter.

DHC1 repped this.
  12. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And then you'll see it in the spring, summer and fall, too....

13. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Optimism season is back baby!

" We're all 0-0-0."

15. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Serious question? Compare Spain's roster in 2012-2016 to our current roster.

ttrevett repped this.
  16. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Who would the false nine have been? How would the team have set up?

17. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    most of our talent in the NT now is at forward. not sure why we'd retreat to a fake 9.

i do think we should consider more balanced formations like a 451 or 442 just because i feel like our current euro-follower-fetish-formation is inherently vulnerable and until we accrete some new talent is not a high powered midfield. i get to 5 by pushing the arriolas/weahs/morris back and counting them too. i then think the bulk of players on that line helps to cover the weak central defense.

i think you're wisely moving away from a 433 that puts too much heat on an unworthy middle 3 but you might be re-creating sarachan's struggles if you're not bothering with real forward(s). to me some of the recent education has been a reminder that sometimes you need to just hoof the ball out, and to have someone in the neighborhood to chase it.

i also don't think we would claim to be so superior of technique where we could play keepaway up and down the field. i think people continue to be naive about the sheer generational accumulation of talent that allowed spain and barca to do what they did. just like i see 433 as kind of naive i see some sort of 460 as naive unless lightning has struck and your talent is beyond anyone else. we're not only not there, we're clearly playing catch up. sarachan's fall schedule and GB's year suggest what would happen if we went toe to toe with the best.

50/50 Ball repped this.
  18. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've been beat up with the three in the middle. We should save the 4-3-3 for home patsies.

DHC1 repped this.
  19. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    We don't have to compare it too closely though Spain's strikers were relatively weak during euro 2012 (an injured Villa, out of form Torres and you have Negredo) whereas their midfield was pulsating with action. Our strikers are woeful (or they were).

So, I'm surprised we didn't try different options in 2017/18 and see what might have worked.

20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Great question.
    I'd like to say Pulisic but Chelsea tried him there and that didn't work.
    My point is over the last few years, we weren't so successful up top (other than Dempsey or say a Jordan Morris against CONCACAF minnows). So, a different tactical setup might have proven fruitful for the timebeing as the Sargent/Weah/Nova's developed further.

21. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Morris drew a pen against Mexico and scored against Uruguay.

22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Uruguay's A-team or B-team?
    Not knocking him but it makes a difference.

23. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It worked for Spain because they had arguably the best midfield of all time, or at least the last few decades anyone can remember.

24. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    We lost GC to the Mexican B team.

25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    It also worked because they tried it. They had the courage to try something else.