Mr. Greg Elliott, can you match this?

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Northside Rovers, Oct 22, 2004.

1. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Or just a poll.

2. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does Poland have to do w/ it?

3. mudpoet

mudpoet Member

May 16, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem with a poll is that you only get one vote. I guess I could create a new kind of poll where you choose 3 or 4 and the 5 or 10 or whatever with the highest number votes get sent. Yeah, that would work.

Smart thinkin' Texgator -- see, that's why they pay you the big bucks.

4. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    So.....when does that first check arrive?

5. gotyourback

gotyourback Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Aurora/Arlington
    Indeed... sorry Buzz, but I believe you could not only be an independent - but interdependent connection to the organization, current fans, and future fans alike.

Someday I hope you receive 'just value' in exchange for the value that you so earnestly produce. I can see you being paid for electronic, print, radio - AND television projects come the new start of Frisco.

6. texas arsenal

texas arsenal New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Frisco Tx
    Dont forget Poland!

Did you hear about the Polish rocket ship?

It ran out of coal at 500 feet.

(rim shot)

7. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think usually true that the "official" site has to toe the company line.

But then you have guy like Mickey Spagnola for DallasCowboys.com who, as near as I can tell, works for Jones. Yet I look at him as an impartial source of info on the team. I trust what he tells me.

We are in an era of transition from old media and method, to new. It's hard to define where the new roles will be. For example my stint on the Burn radio show. They paid me to do that, but I believe I gave the same opinion and thoughts there that I do on my site. I believe I have maintained my 100% independence.

I fell like there is a way to maintain independence and freedom of thought while working for the organization. There is so little normal media about MLS that some kind of hybrid job could have a place. Radio, internet, TV... whatever you want to put together. But it would not be easy to pull off and some hard rules might be needed up front.

That being said the ideal would be if someone outside MLS were to pay me to do this or finance 3rd Degree. I like to think if I did this full time it would go to a much higher level. Who could pass up a chance for a career covering something they are passionate about?

But I do have a regular career. It happens to be a strange one that lets me do what I do now. But I never know when it will end. There was the hiccup where I went to ESPN for example. Sometime a career step may come along the requires me to stop what I do now. 3rd Degree takes about 20 to 30 hours a week. Some day a normal job or real life may end that.

In the mean time I will continue to do my "job" of trying to bring the soccer fan as much FC Dallas news as I can.

and Yes Wilt is a great GM, he is a true servant of fans. I really respect his abilities.

8. Alex Sanz

Alex Sanz New Member

Apr 6, 2000
    TX
    That's an interesting point you bring up because it just happens that the Ticket (1310 am) guys make fun of Mickey for being Cowboy-biased. Whether he really is or not is a different story, but it's all a matter of perception I guess.

9. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't listen to the ticket mcuh other than Bad Radio. The ranch report seems to be top notch to me.

But perhaps he is. I had always taken him as impartial.

But as I said it's a tough line to walk.

10. texas arsenal

texas arsenal New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Frisco Tx
    Mickey is the biggest Cowboy homer there is. The only time he pulls his lips off the Cowboys ass is to do the ranch report. At which time I abruptly change the channel.

11. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, that has never been my read on him.

Maybe it was a bad example to point at then.

12. gotyourback

gotyourback Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Aurora/Arlington
    I would also like to point out one other fact that is not missed...

3rdDegree atracts lots of fans - not only from around the US, but fans from around the world.

If this isn't proof positive of a growing model for organization / fan interconnection; I don't know what is. The explicit trust that HSG and fans have shown 3rdDegree is a foundation to build upon for the future. Like MLS, I want all parties to come together to nurture this growth.

There is a major difference between independence and interdependence. We are all connected - whether you want to use misleading terms like "official" and "unofficial" (try to internalize this.. am I an "official human", or an "unofficial human"?). The fact is; is that we all want the same thing, and Buzz is on the inside of what we are working for. I, for one, understand his value - and the results he's produced.

I hope MLS, HSG, FC Dallas and fans witness the same.

-

13. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I have not forgiven the parties who took Inside Soccer off the air. Even though it was too short(IMO, would have like it to be 1.5 or 2 hrs long), the Dallas FO, Coaches, and players were all involved and did the Q&A.
    [rant]
    I avoid the ticket, espn radio, etc... because they lack one thing: FOOTBALL(soccer).

Even Sky Sports News(like Sports Center on ESPN, but better) mentions US sports and other sports around the world.
    [/rant]

14. ZenCarver

ZenCarver New Member

May 26, 2003
    Richardson, TX
    and with pink ties

15. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN 103.3 actually makes an issue of it in promoting their Cowboys coverage: "Our guys work for you, not the team."

16. mudpoet

mudpoet Member

May 16, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I talked to GE about this last night at the THM and I believe his response was "Absolutely. Let's do it." So it looks like there will be an "Ask Elliott" section to The Inferno website next season.

I propose this idea: 7 days of people posting questions followed by 7 days of "repping" the questions submitted. Top 7 are submitted to GE and his reply will be posted verbatim. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

17. Mrs.TexasArsenal

Mrs.TexasArsenal New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Frisco, TX
    ^^ Sounds good to me. GE = :cool:

18. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Why wait until next season? Peter Wilt is doing a lot of this right now during the offseason. Its a good time to get questions about the past season AND the upcoming one.

19. texas arsenal

texas arsenal New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Frisco Tx
    The Bob Sturm show from the Ticket was at the THM last night.

20. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    and then he went to the hospital to have his second SturmTot overninght.

21. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry arse timing. I'm sure that the Sturminator was taking copious notes for BaD radio and now they will all be overshadowed and lost to infant talk.

22. texas arsenal

texas arsenal New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Frisco Tx
    I told him I never listen

23. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forgot to tell you. I saw your mugshot as well as that of TXGTR on TV on Tuesday night ! The both of you were making your way from the jock sniffing gangbang of Infernites, to your seats. It was on Channel 23 news portion of the news ! Very dapper indeed as for the no. of pounds that TV adds the jury still out. :p

24. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Sonofa.......I have to endure the embarassment of standing in front of dozens of cameras smiling like a moron while holding a giant novelty season ticket and get ZERO TV time. Now I simply walk to my seat and I'm a star. I didn't even think to watch the news coverage.

25. texas arsenal

texas arsenal New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Frisco Tx
    Do I hear media whore????????