Movies I've been watching....

Discussion in 'nicodemus Guestbook' started by nicodemus, Feb 27, 2003.

1. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here I will post my thoughts on movies/films/documentaries I've been watching lately...

enjoy.

2. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watched this documentary about Idi Amin Dada a few nights ago:

[​IMG]

The crazy thing about the whole documenatry is how he comes across as quite charming and a pretty nice guy. I was getting worried that I was the only one getting that vibe, but everyone else watching it agreed with me and then the director mentioned the same thing in the extra features.

Schroeder commented that he was haunted by the fact that a man so personable, smart and friendly, could be so brutal. Interestingly Amin used to be a professional boxer and he was quite an accordion player too (they even have clips of that.)

Towards the end of the film though you start to see bits of how much of a hardass and nutter he could be. There was a scene with him having a meeting with what was basically the National Medical Association of Uganda and some doctor incorrectly addresses him (uses the wrong title I think) and Amin gets this crazed look. It was pretty creepy, knowing the things his government did.

This documentary has definately left me wanting to explore more 20th century African history.

3. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watched the 1931 version of Dracula two days ago. It is the one featuring Boris Karloff. In all honesty, the only reason I wanted to watch it is because Philip Glass had composed a new score for it and am very much into Philip Glass' music.

The movie was cool in that 1930s overtly dramatic sense, but it was totally worth it for the new score from Glass (I watched part of the other version and it wasn't nearly as cool.)

The one thing I didn't get though is that why they made Transylvania in Hungary in the movie. I've always thought it was in Romania. Oh well. Philip Glass rocks.

[​IMG]

4. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    I watched Waiting For Guffman the other day. That's almost a documentary.

5. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love that movie...actually, pretty much all that guy's movies Best in Show, etc.

6. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    I bought the DVD last week after having memorized the other two. Willard's line about the vagina enlargement forced me to pause the DVD.

7. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Willard is an underappreciated genius.

8. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    I've been a fan since Real People. His character in WFG was much more subtle than anything I had ever seen from him before.

9. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched the uber-no-brainer Old School yesterday. Every now & then, you just have to watch something you know is going to be stupid.

10. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched The Bourne Identity last evening and I think it kicked very much butt. I thought it would be good, but it was much better than I thought it was going to be. I don't think I'd like to read that as a book, but it was a fine action flick. Credit to Matt Damon for being able to pull off an action hero. As always, Franka Potente is awesome...she's one of my favorites. I was quite surprised to see Julia Stiles in the movie, although she seemed a bit of an odd choice for her role...despite the fact that it was a relatively small part.

If you've seen the DVD, the alternate ending sucked severely. If they had used that ending instead the movie would've sucked, thankfully they didn't. Also, some of the deleted scenes were apparent why they were deleted, some really campy stuff.

11. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    I read the book, and have read most of Ludlum's works. I had no desire to see the movie. I didn't like the idea of updating it into modern times.

12. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw Chicago last weekend as part of a (seemingly abortive) effort to see all of the films up for best picture.

Now, I had a bad feeling going in. I shouldn't have, as I actually ended up enjoying the film a good deal. Then again, any film that has Catherine Zeta-Jones, Renee Zellweger and Mya is going to have really, really suck for me to not like it. :p The dialogue was really good, I thought, as was the costumes and design. Richard Gere was a big plus as well, playing the Sleazy Lawyer to the hilt.

The biggest minus for me was the fact that it was a musical. I mean, I want to see some more plot development, and here's...another...freakin...song...

But you should still check it out. Go catch a matinee.

13. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As one who has seen countless Bollywood movies, I just can't take a musical in English. It has to be in Hindi if I'm going to have anything to do with a musical.

14. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last night on a whim, I checked out Tears Of The Sun.

Grisly stuff.

That's really the thing that stays with you after this one - man's inhumanity to man. That and America's desire to act like the World's Police Force in countries that have something to offer, and devil take the rest.

For those unaware, Bruce Willis leads a seemingly easy military mission to retrieve a Doctor, a Priest, and two Nuns from Civil War-ravaged Nigeria. Things don't quite work out according to plan, but when do they ever?

I run hot and cold on Bruce's acting ability, but he wasn't too challeneged here, keeping it simple works for him. The supporting cast is fine.

The film ended up being the action roller-coaster you always thought it would be, but be warned that those with weaker constitutions should steel themselves going into this one. Otherwise, go nuts.

15. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You forgot to mention that movie has Monica Bellucci in it.

16. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just starting to make a dent in my music recommendations. When I get done with them all, I'll make a Bollywood Recommendation Thread. :D

17. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is very true. She's the Doctor, and she is a Good Thing about this movie. :p

18. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look, I barely admit to watching these things as they are tacky, cheesy and kitsch as mess. Basically, we get them from Netflix for the songs, which are terrible too, but I have a personal connection to the "world of Bollywood," so I have a bizarre love for the stuff. It really isn't something I admit publicly very often...feel privledged. ;)

19. DaniD

DaniD Member

Aug 8, 2002
    The 'Burbs
    I think the thing you are missing is that the songs are part of the development of the movie, not the plot per se, but character development.

20. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I know that the songs were essential to the characters and thus, the movie. Heck, the best part of the whole film was Richard Gere's tapdance scene.

I guess the thing is that I don't watch many musicals and it took me some getting used to.

21. Bethany

Bethany New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    You're my Boy BLUE! :D

(But yeah, it was stupid.)

22. DaniD

DaniD Member

Aug 8, 2002
    The 'Burbs
    I highly recommend checking out Pedro Almovodar's "Talk to Her." It was brillant. Plus Pina Bausch, one of the great modern choreographers, has a cameo.

23. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    Hey DaniD, VH1 is premiering "Behind the Movie:Chicago" tonight at 10.

24. DaniD

DaniD Member

Aug 8, 2002
    The 'Burbs
    I will have to check that out. Hopefully, I don't fall asleep first.

25. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched Sanjuro last night. One of the greatest samurai movies ever made, along with its predecessor Yojimbo. I know everybody says it, but it can't be overstated: Akira Kurosawa is one of the greatest directors ever. Toshiro Mifune is a brilliant actor. I can't recommend these two movies enough.