Move the date of the MLS Cup Final

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by shizzle787, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know. When I played rugby at school we were lucky if someone's girlfriend showed up with some oranges at half-time.

2. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about the Connecticut Tigers?

3. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're professional, but the Hartford Yard Goats are the highest level minor league baseball team in Connecticut.

4. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And you know what, it's none of those assholes business. That being said, after 100-150 years of most NCAA Division 1 schools being in existence, some now graduating 20K of alums every year, that's a lot of fans

JasonMa repped this.
  5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And how many alums are they not graduating each year? ;)

6. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't checked the freshman drop rate in a few years and those that take a couple of years off and finish at Directional State A & M, but it was about 35% my freshman year in 1988.

It was upwards of 75% of major change out of Architecture to others for that remaining 65% that didn't drop out of the school's freshman class in 88

7. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if the school has existed for 100 to 150 years, the school may not have been in Division I that whole time. According to Page 71 of http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_basketball_RB/2016/DivI.pdf here are how many Division I Men's Basketball teams there have been in seasons where the second year (such as 2014-2015 counting as 2015) are multiples of 5:

1950: 145
    1955: 162
    1960: 175
    1965: 182
    1970: 196
    1975: 235
    1980: 261
    1985: 282
    1990: 292
    1995: 302
    2000: 318
    2005: 326
    2010: 334
    2015: 345

The 2014-2015 RPI listed 351 teams, including 5 who are transitioning to Division I, not eligible for the NCAA Tournament, and not counted in the NCAA's 345 amount. 345+5 is 1 less than 351, so there's a discrepancy of 1 somewhere, but that's not a big deal.

8. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not the point. In reference to some "Yuropeens" not understanding our amateur athletics systems, some of the current NCAA schools have been around for 100-150 years, if not longer in some east coast states. That's as long most "Yuropeen" clubs have been in existence and a damned long enough time for those academic institutions to take on a lofty and venerated status as a part of the identity of those states, just as much as any of the organizations that begat the current Bundesliga, La Liga or BPL clubs

KCbus repped this.
  9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For example, the Pac-12 conference is celebrating 100 years this academic year but the conference claims the history of its predecessors going back to the Pacific Coast Conference founded in 1915 by Cal, Oregon, Oregon State, and Washington. In fact Washington and Cal are the only two members to play all 100 years in the organizations that the Pac claims in its history. On top of that Washington was playing football for 26 years before the conference was founded.

10. Paulo PT

Paulo PT Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Regular season champion: November - Supporters Shield - MLS Champion. End unbalanced Schedule. Home and Away games same Conference, one legged games interconference games (rotating each year). With 24 teams: 34 games.

MLS Cup during summer (July or August) with all 24 (in this case) clubs? 8 groups with 3 teams each - 3 games. R8, R4, R2 - 3 games. Total: 6 games.
    Seeding: previous 4 season records, for example.

11. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paulo, I understand that you have a preference for a format that's different from the one MLS currently uses. I get that. And that's OK.

But stop flooding the forum with threads and posting your ideas in threads where they're not relevant.

This thread is about changing the date for MLS Cup within the existing format. This isn't the place to pitch another idea for a completely different league with a completely different schedule.

12. Paulo PT

Paulo PT Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Ok, but I believe it was clear that another date in November was inexistent or irrelevant. So what the point of this thread?!! It ends were it begins!

13. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. That doesn't mean your scheme is relevant here.

14. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    What is the point of all of your nonsensical ramblings?

15. Paulo PT

Paulo PT Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    I believe is to form a point of view an opinion, independent of League plans, current reality and such.

Brainstorm. If you must be constrained to current situation, just shut down the forum!

16. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Not a bad idea. :)

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  17. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seconded.

18. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Friday itself doesn't contain that much college football. ESPN lists 15 games on their scoreboard, but only 1 SEC (Arkansas-Missouri), 1 Big 10 (Nebraska-Iowa), 2 Pac 10 (Oregon-Oregon St. & Wash.-Wash. St.), 1 ACC (Pitt-Miami) & 1 Big 12 game (Baylor-TCU).

19. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, so Friday would be a possibility. In the USA, most big individual sporting events like Triple Crown horse racing, boxing, the end of tennis and golf tournaments, and the Super Bowl are on weekends. The NCAA Men's Basketball and Football championship games are Monday nights. Championship series like the World Series can end different days of the week.

20. shizzle787

shizzle787 Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But they can't afford to go to the games until they've paid off $10,000s of debt.

22. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, that's just the poor stiffs like me that had to go to school on loans and grants. Plenty of stupid rich people still fully fund their kids education

23. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about 7:45 am Eastern? It works for the Premier League. :D

24. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This season the games were moved up to 7:30 A.M.