Mourinho slags Arsenal

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by antifan, Nov 14, 2004.

1. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    yes thats it :eek:

2. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All of this information about Chelski's corrupt Russian paymasters is interesting, but i feel like i'm reading an article in Foreign Affairs. Can't we just discuss what a douche Mourinho is or how bad Cygan sucks. Y'know, the fun stuff. :)

3. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Or we can forget our differences and find a shared love...like our mutual hate for Spurs.

(Insert any joke here...)

(I would put on in myself but I am too busy writing a thesis but of course I can't help get pulled away while at my laptop to check BigSoccer. If only Marlowe's Dr. Faustus was more interesting. So what if the guy decided being human sucked and wanted to trade his soul in return for playing some practical jokes?? I mean the guy did get to hit the Pope in the head!)

4. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Marlowe had read BigSoccer he might have named his play Dr. Nicephoras! It would have been the story of a Chelsea fan who sells his soul to a demon named Roman in order to procure an elusive title. You know how these things always end up though. :)
    Hey, good luck on your thesis.

5. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The Arsenal version involves Cygan selling his soul so that AW might see some potential/skill in him. The catch is that AW sees it and no one else does. Which in itself is ironic being as AW tends to be blind. :D

6. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Whoa - lets not knock Dr. Faustus. I really like Marlowe. After all, selling one's soul for knowledge certainly has its appeal. You can do quite a bit with a thesis like that, along the lines of "is an unexamined life worth living" down to ancient Greek philosophical concepts of knowledge (Epicurus, for example). I think Dr. Faustus and then Goethe's Faust are two of the most fascinating characters in literature.

Oh, and Spurs suck donkey balls.

7. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    I have found that, in the area of Eastern European finance, history, and politics it's best to just take white nice says as the Gospel.

Just don't get him started on the War of Northern Aggression. ;)

8. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Thanks for the laugh...

Not to turn BS into something of a literary discussion but...

I agree that Faustus and Faust are fascinating and I am not slagging on Marlowe at all. It's a shame he died young or else Shakespeare would be the one forgotten...

My beef is with my thesis of dealing with Faustus' greatest sin being his aspiring about his order, or the rebellion against the law of his creation. In essence, he tried to move up Alexander Pope's great chain of being. But it can't happen, it throws the universe out of whack.

(On a side note, I actually considered comparing Dr Faustus, the great chain of being and Kevin Smith's Dogma for a thesis but didn't think it would be well received. But think about it, it would work.)

9. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I think I might have gone nerd there, sorry.

10. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Damn I wish I didn't use up all my rep today...

11. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had always assumed Goethe's Faust was considered the better version of the book. Maybe I'll make that change to my reading list. Of course having watched Lost over the past few weeks has inspired me to re-read Watership Down, so I might have to go through that first..

Eh... Greek philosophy... the more popular stuff seems way too simple-minded, but then maybe that's because of the way its translated in our schools. I could delve into the more obscure, but then when you study engineering, you philosophize only as much as is required to meet the humanities requirement.

12. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Ahh...the joys of a humanties field of study as opposed to an engineering one. Last semester I had a class called (no lie) "Mathematics for the Non-mathematician" Classic class. It was the history of math.

13. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003

lol.... quality eddie! :D

14. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL... my music major roommate during my sophomore year had a similar class. I think they actually threw in some algebra too (shock!). I'm actually interested in history though, so that one sounds a bit interesting. Of course confusion will stem from the approximately 82 Bernoulli children who all became important mathematicians.

15. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Even better was we covered Eratosthenes Prime Number Sieve and actually had to go through and circle all the prime numbers between 1-100. LOL, some people weren't even sure what a prime number was. (Temple U does have much smarter students, I SWEAR!!)

16. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, that Eratosthenes Prime Number joke is as old as the hills, i've heard it so many times its not even funny anymore. Get back to work on your paper. ;)

17. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Well, there are engineering philosophies. Probably more important to your field but surely not something you'll find yourself discussing with folks on BS often. :)

18. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I don't get what the joke is because I am serious. We were actually give that to do. Honest to god on my wonderful dog's life.

19. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    They're fairly different. Dr. Faustus is very much a "tragic character" in the Marlowe mold - all of them have one key weakness, some ambition. The Jew of Malta is greedy for money, Tamerlane for power, and Faustus for knowledge. All, unsurprisingly, come to bad ends.
    Goethe's Faust is a much better lyrical work, and is also romantic. (I know - German romantic poetry is almost an oxymoron. ;)) One of my favorite lines of poetry, which opens Master and Margarita is from Goethe's Faust:

'... who are you, then?'
    'I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works
    good.....'

It sounds much better in Russian. And German too, I would imagine. :D

How is Lost? I just watched the first two episodes of Huff, and it seems interesting. Might have to make room for it on the DVR.

I'm an epicurean, myself. And no, that does not mean sybarite!

Hey, engineering has things going for it too. What other field acknowledges having a "fudge factor"?

20. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Answer to your question: Governor of New Jersey

21. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Ack. I hope its not mandatory.

22. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004
    I want Mourinho to fail so bad. I dont even know who I have more. Chelsea or Mourinho?

23. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh, maybe you guys should move this conversation over to the Chelsea board. I wouldn't want all the intellectuals over there to miss out on the fun. ;)

24. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess stories that end in nice, neat little packages with sellable morals at the end just irk me a bit. Life is rarely so simple. I suppose I'm more of a Chekov guy myself ("What the hell is this? Somebody throw a pie or something!").

I'm liking it... not as good as 24, nip/tuck, or Dead Like Me... but its been well-acted and exciting so far. (Mental note: pick up first season of The Wire.)

I'll take your word for it. ;)

1 archaic : one devoted to sensual pleasure : SYBARITE

The only "fudge factor" I get here is if I get up, go to the cafeteria, and buy a damn brownie. Anything beyond that and the vultures from system test are all over my ass. But at least I get a free phone!

25. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We could try on the United board, but it'd probably just turn into a conversation on the merits of seagulls, trawlers, and Frenchmen... or something.