Motorola RAZR V3

Discussion in 'Technology' started by dreamer, Jan 26, 2005.

1. amerifolklegend

amerifolklegend New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    To me a great phone is a phone that gets great reception.

I'm very happy with my phone and it never droips calls. I've never had a phone that is as great as my phone when it comes to reception - and this is my fourth phone. I'm sure it varies from city to city, but for me, my phone is the phone I want forever.

I don't care that it doesn't have a camera, or bluetooth technology.

Hell, I don't even know what I'd need bluetooth technology for.

But my phone is durable and gets way better reception than any of the lousy ass Samsung phones that I've had in the past. In fact, my ohone gets reception in areas my girlfriend's phone does not - and we use the same provider.

Sadly, however, my phone is no longer being made. So when it does break, I'm gonna have to either buy one on ebay, or search for a new phone. But when you go to any provider, they all tell you that their phones get the best reception. I have tried and tried, but have never been able to find a site that compares the actual cell phone's ratings on reception. I have found sites that compare provider's signal strength, but never one that compares actual phones.

2. Paul.eta

Paul.eta Member

Jan 21, 2003
    What phone do you have and who is your provider (I'm guessing CDMA)?

3. amerifolklegend

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    I have Sprint and I love Sprint.

My phone is the Hitachi SH-P300.

It's such an awesome phone. Plus it has the one frivelous feature that I can't find on any other phone - the unique abillity to record my own rings. I never have had to buy a ring tone or anything like that. I can record straight from the TV or sterio and make it my ring. I love that feature.

I don't know what CDMA means.

4. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    my phone can do it.

5. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Sounds like an awesome feature. If I had a phone like that, I'd definately have Cantor's GOOLLL scream as my ring tone.

6. Paul.eta

Paul.eta Member

Jan 21, 2003
    CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access) is type of network that Verizon, Sprint, US Cellular, etc uses

This website had some insight in understanding some of the differences between CDMA and TDMA (GSM: T-Mobile, Cingular, etc).

I was a former Sprint PCS user in 2002-2003 (I had a two year contract) and a piece of my Samsung SCH-A460 broke into the second year of the contract. I was offered a $125 credit, but I declined...pretty stupid of me as I could have gotten a Nokia (bar style) color mobile for free. I've noticed over the past year and a half that the voice clarity/quality on Sprint's PCS network is a lot clearer than on T-Mobile's network. I switched to T-Mobile last year in February and on their website they said the coverage was "good" so I made the plunge and signed a one year contract. I had no reception for the most part and until recently (early July 05) I've seen a dramatic improvement (five, six bars - six is max).

I'm thinking of switching to Verizon as it's always been a solid provider. I'm going to have to 'research' the coverage and phones in the areas I most frequent...I'm actually going to go check out a phone today, the Samsung SGH-D500, but I think the price will be rape (only two stores carry the phone in the state). My backup plan is going through amazon.com with Verizon, they have two rebates (i know rebates), but the Motorola E815 for $50 AR (after rebate) isn't too shabby or some of their 'free' phones...the only issue I have with ordering from amazon.com is paying tax! :mad:

7. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    reception really does depend on where you are.

ive never had a problem with t-mobiles network.

however, for example, in my apartment, two old phones of mine had pretty bad reception, my 6230 has perfect reception...

8. Paul.eta

Paul.eta Member

Jan 21, 2003
    That's true, but inside my house I've had sketchy reception, if I went outside in the driveway then I would get 'two to four bars', and if i went onto the street then I would get 'three to five bars.' The signal was weak until recently...who knows maybe they tweaked the cell tower or purchased another one. It didn't matter what phone you had, T-Mobile was just shiat.

[rant[Anyways, I got back from that dealer. Stupid biatch told us to come down and that she would give us a better price than $180. When we got there she was like it's the best price in town! No shiat you dumb broad, why do you think we drove down here. Then she was all proud that she was selling the RAZR for $150, I'm like amazon.com has it for free. What a waste of time[/rant]

I know someone in Sacramento who'll sells the D500 for $125 shipped and the RAZR for free with a one year contract with a plan $39.99+. Although I've heard dealers in LA's K-Town/Chinatown sell the D500 for free with a one year...

Well, I think I'm going with Verizon, you can't beat amazon.com's prices.

9. amerifolklegend

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    Oh, I agree.

There was a thread on here a few years ago when I actually had a lousier phone than I had now and people were just flat out hating Sprint because their reception was so bad.

But I had never had problems with them. Here, my coverage was always really good.

I think I just happen to live and work in places where we have better reception.

So basically, when looking for a provider, aske people that actually live where you live, not people around the country who has the best coverage.

10. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Question about cell phones in general. Say I want to use a phone that my carrier doesn't have, can I buy it from somewhere else and put in my SIM card and have no problems?

Obviously it must be US compatible, but as long as it is good in the us, I should be ok, right? Also, I'm not really looking to have internet access or text access, I use my phone pretty much just as a phone. But I'm curious to know if the internet or text would work as well.

11. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I'm going to give a cautions "yes". My sister brought a phone from Europe, and got pre-paid service while she was in the States for a couple of weeks. She just put the US pre-paid SIM (can't remember the carrier) into her regular phone and it worked fine.

12. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    with the phone/sim card thing...

uh... most carriers in the states "lock" thier phones. yeah they use sim-cards, but you can generally only use THIER sim cards... so you need to get an unlocked phone. so if you bought a phone from t-mobile, and then tried to put, say, a cingular or sprint sim card in it (does sprint even do sim cards yet???), it likely wont work, and say that its "locked" or you have an "invalid carrier" or something like that.

you can buy these online, or from the phone companies themselves.

most any phone you get, even if its only sold overseas, will work in the united states. likely, all of them.

but if you get an unlocked one, you can pick and choose carriers, switch carriers, keep your phone, go overseas, use vodaphone/orange/BT/o2, ect, whomever you want... very convenient if youre a traveller.

13. amerifolklegend

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    Sprint does not use sim cards.

Well...at least none of the phones AFLette or I have had.

14. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone ever gone this route? Bought an unlocked phone? If so, is there a good way to go about it, or a good place?

15. HiJazzey

HiJazzey Member

Jan 29, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    You can ask your carrier to unlock your phone. Orange unlocked my sister's phone for something like £10. Also, a lot of shops unlock phones for a small fee.

16. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    not in the US...

and i dont think many carriers will unless you are under a long contract, or have been a long time customer...

as for buying unlocked phones, thats what i did.

just find the model you want, and do a google search on it. there are places like tigerdirect, newegg, ect, that sell phones, as well as direct from nokia, ericsson, ect...

17. Paul.eta

Paul.eta Member

Jan 21, 2003
    The problem with purchasing an unlocked phone or an international phone is the warranty, if it breaks you're SOL unless you know someone (where the phone was available to) that can return in to the proper place. I have an unlocked Samsung SGH-S200 and haven't had problems, but the 6 button is starting to crap out on me, I have to push it a certain way otherwise it ends the inststruction (the end/power off button is on the same side and fairly close to each other).

If you're with T-Mobile they unlock your phone with an unlock code, but you have to be with them for a consecutive 90 days to give it to you - I'm not sure if you need to have the phone for 90 days or service as I never had to call in... But I've been told to tell them you're going abroad and you plan on using pre-paid sims while your there.

There is a dealer in Sacramento that sells unlocked GSM mobiles, he is a forum sponser for e46fanatics.com (99-04 BMW 3 Series) and acurazine. He doesn't sell phones without service and doesn't do upgrades.

18. Paul.eta

Paul.eta Member

Jan 21, 2003
    I forgot to add, if you have Cingular make sure that the phone supports (the frequency) GSM 850 band or has a good GSM 1900 band in your area!

19. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Now that everybody has a free Razor, what will the phone companies entice people with

20. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    Yeah but in America we shell out big bucks for SUV's. big screen TV's, PC's, mp3's etc etc.... And when it comes to cell phones we like our carriers to have the decency to offer a freebie or a hefty discount. Most European and Asians rent not own, take public transportation and don't buy lattes at 5 bucks a pop.

Saying were cheap is misleading and uninformed.