Motorola Droid

Discussion in 'Technology' started by snowsuit, Nov 9, 2009.

1. snowsuit

snowsuit New Member

Oct 1, 2000
    san diego
    guess this phone is being marketed as a genuine competitor to the iphone. anyone have one or tried one? how does it stack up?

2. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I haven't had the chance to play around with one, but initial reviews have been good.

This is probably the best iPhone vs Droid comparison: http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2009/10/30/smartphone-showdown-iphone-3gs-vs-motorola-droid/

This is a nice comparison between the cameras on the two phones:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/andyi/sets/72157622609402533/detail/

Engadget review:
    http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/30/motorola-droid-review/

NY Times review: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/05/technology/personaltech/05pogue.html

3. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    These aren't the Droids you're looking for. Move along.

4. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you didn't do that thing with your hand

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1rlThKe1qo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1rlThKe1qo[/ame]

so they searched my speeder, anyway.

they found a light saber.

i'm writing from jail.

O/T: you gotta see this clip:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBM854BTGL0&NR=1"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBM854BTGL0&NR=1[/ame]

5. Boundzy

Boundzy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 1, 2003
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a more cogent movie review than are most.

6. yimmy

yimmy Moderator

Aug 23, 2004
    California
    I've had it for over two months now. It's a fun phone, but it's not the iPhone killer for sure.

7. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I do not see the point in the 'iPhone killer' tag that gets thrown around. There have been numerous vastly superior phones released but the public (and the Apple crowd) are happy to stick with what they know and what they perceive to be a simple and user friendly device. You are not going to get an iPhone killer because for the most part their users are not in the same market as everyone else.

8. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still an iPhone user. I have a Nexus One -- it has a better screen, better camera, GPS, etc. that my iPhone doesn't have, but I'm used to the iPhone.

If I keep dropping my iPhone, the screen will probably go (it has a bunch of dead pixels from previous drops), and then maybe I'll try the new phone for a while -- but I'll probably buy another iPhone.

9. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    How does the droid work with macos, any experiences? I was looking at the Nokia N900, but isync not really supporting it kinda turns me down

10. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I was wondering about that too - I'm thinking about getting Nexus One, which runs on Android too.

My understand is that Android uses the Gmail address book and Google Calendar, so if you can sync the OS X Address Book and iCal, you should be fine?

Google OS X Android sync and you'll get a few results.

11. SportsGuru

SportsGuru New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    IMO the IPhone is way better than the Droid. I have some friends with the Droid and they say its ehh compared to the IPhone.

12. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Do you have any more arguments or do you just wanna be a fanboy (I am sure there are good reasons to use the iPhone, and good reasons to use the Droid. While the Droid can replace the iphone, it can only do so for people who think they are missing something on the iphone; people that want other functions, and neccessarly don't care as much for the functions the iphone excells at. The Droid is not meant to be another bigger, badder, better iPhone, Motorola could not pull that off anyways.

13. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    It is comparing...

No, I just cannot bring myself to type it. I do not consider the iPhone to be a true smartphone. It is smartphone-lite for Joe Public. In that sense you are not going to ever have an iPhone killer. The iPhone will continue to retain the Apple crowd, those who favour style over substance and those who simply like an easy to use device. Apple will lose people who chose to progress to more feature rich devices but they will be replaced by the latest line of people who chose the iPhone for the reasons outlined previously. The cycle continues...

The only reasons these discussions and comparisons occur is because of the pretentious attitude of certain iPhone users who dogmatically defend their product and have the frankly ridiculous belief that all rivals are somehow inferior when the opposite is actually the case. It helps keep the debate raging on. Thanks for that SportsGuru. ;)

Anyhoo, how does everyone else see the mobile market developing in terms of market share and customer base? With the move towards more feature rich devices I think we shall see a shift from the dominace that Symbian currently has as it is phased out. While it will make things closer I think the market will still consist of one big player. The way I see it is as follows:

40% - Android - mass market (replacing Symbian OS)
    24% - BlackBerry 'x'- business users (a revamped OS will gain users)
    14% - iPhone OS -lite users
    10% - webOS - niche market (potential for expansion)
    8% - Windows Mobile - niche market
    4% - Maemo - power users

Note: All percentages plucked from my arse.

14. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Do you use Android? Are there SNES Emulators and Quake III available for it (the N900 can do that :-D ))

15. yimmy

yimmy Moderator

Aug 23, 2004
    California
    There's an SNES emulator, a Sega Geneisis (Mega Drive for you Europeans) emulator and an emulator for the 8 bit Nintendo Entertainment System.

Having said that, I haven't come across any games on the Android platform (be it an emulated game or whatever) that pique my interest. I heard that there are games for the iPhone that are hundreds of megabytes in size. One limitation about the Droid that is rarely mentioned is that while the phone has 16GB of storage space on the SD card, apps can only run on the intenral flash memory which is a paltry 256 MB.

16. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Ah thx. I think I will aim at the N900, even though until now I 'only' own an N73. Playing SNES games with a Wii remote on your TV is tempting.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0wbLaMXeu4"]YouTube- SNES on n900[/ame]

17. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I think you're making the three most common mistakes tech people make when they talk about Apple products:
    * They think of "well designed" and "looks nice" as interchangeable. Sure, people do tend to like Apple's aesthetic sensibilities and they do invest a lot of energy and money on looks, but that's only one (albeit the most obvious) component of industrial design as a whole. Design is the interaction between the user and the product, and Apple has done a good job of looking at how people use computers and phones.

* They compare products based on features and specs. Basically, more the better. Which was fine when 95% of computers were running Windows 95, and Palm and Blackberry were the only smartphone platforms worth talking about. Obviously, faster the processor, bigger the screen, more features, etc, the better. People like Apple products for stuff that doesn't show up on feature matrixes and spec sheets. There's no way to quantitatively measure stuff like UI design or build quality or how a product feels in your hand, especially when some of the benefits amount to addition by subtraction. So if you're accustomed to talking about gadgets in terms of the number of checkmarks and horsepowers, it's natural to think, "Wow, people like the iPhone even though other phones have more features. They must be irrational."

* They overstate the fanboy factor, which is, for the most part exaggerated and/or strawmen. Yeah, there are loud, annoying fanboys on teh internetz, but tech blogs and forums attract crazy irrational folks, and there are just as many people who instantly dismiss Apple products as overpriced and overhyped. For the most part, Apple users understand that Macs aren't for everyone, but they do provide a return on investment for a lot of people. Yeah, people are loyal to the brand, but that's because the brand's been loyal to them in return. I've personally gotten service from Apple that's gone above and beyond, and when I buy a Mac, I appreciate that the machine's designed to work together with the platform and vice versa. The biggest mistake is looking simply just hardware or software on its own without looking holistically at the whole user experience.

THAT said, it does look like the Android platform is making strides and I am strongly considering the Nexus One. But it still feels like work in progress and not being able to save apps on an SD card is a deal killer on a phone with relatively little built-in storage.

18. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just out of curiosity, what distinguishes it from a "true" smartphone?

Just because it has a good UI, doesn't mean that it is somehow less capable, a false dichotomy that people have long been guilty of making with Macs.

(Disclaimer: I've got an iPhone, but I'm also a Windows/Linux user.)

19. electrickeeper

electrickeeper The Ginger Pele
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How have you avoided spontaneous combustion, then?

20. SportsGuru

SportsGuru New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Phone have different features. It depends on the user which phone they want to use. Just my opinion, for example:

If you're in office and traveling always, it's better that your phone have GPS,
    office supports like MS words etc..

If you're a music lover, better that you have your phone that has a big
    memory space for maximum storage and lot of music supported players.

Phone have different capabilities and all are good from which they are
    build for the specific features. :D

21. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Just got a Motorola Droid. LOVE it so far.

Of course, I'm switching from a Blackberry Storm so it's like going from Roseanne Barr to Marisa Miller.

22. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mmmmmm, Marisa Miller. [drool]

23. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got my first ever cell phone two days ago, a Droid X and went to turn it on this morning and is stuck on the Motorola "M" screen. Is this what happens when the battery gets too low or something? :confused::eek:

24. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    yes, when the battery on mine is low/dead it just goes to the M screen

25. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Bluto11, I've had it charging all day and I will see what happens with it when I get home from work.