Motivation

Discussion in 'Player' started by Richie #11, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Richie #11

Richie #11 New Member

Jun 16, 2004
    London
    Hey guys,
    Just wondering how you all react to various forms of motivation, i.e criticism and praise, or things like a manager losing their temper with you.
    Got to research this!
    Cheers everyone.

2. becks1113

becks1113 New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    United States
    honestly............. I react fine to all forms of criticism, to a point.

Growing up my playing with my club team our coach was really good about not breaking you down to the point you have no confidence. He would do just enough to make you want to come back and show him where he could stick it..... he also made sure and let you know when you were doing good.

When i got to college, I played for a guy who was a total Bobby Knight, but maybe in a way worse. I can handle a the criticism like I said, but I soon found my boiling point. The thing was it wasn't only me......I saw this happen with a lot of our players.

Coach would break your ass down, but NEVER build you back up. He would get on your ass so bad, you were afraid to take chances, to create things on the field. Every time you got the ball players would just try and get rid of it.

You could see the effects back in the dorms too. Players didn't want to play for him, we didn't look forward to training. Honestly a lot of us weren't enjoying the game anymore.

When I transferred I moved to a school where the coach was more like my club coach. The result was I remember to how fun the game is, and I took my game to another level. 6 years after school, and I still love to play this game. Currently play for the Oklahoma Men's D1 State Champs.......

I know I started rambling, but oh well.

3. CC05

CC05 Member

Jul 16, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    My current club coach is just like your club coach. I can honestly say I have never had a better coach and his love for the game definitaly brushes off onto his players.

So, in answering the initial question, I think i'd prefer a "hard-nosed" coach (similar to my club coach), but there is a big difference between being hardnosed and being a jerk.

4. DOWNEY11

DOWNEY11 New Member

Dec 2, 2004
    North London
    I'd agree with both the previous posts.

When I first started out playing I think it was a combination of my inability to take criticism constructively and the gaffer being a bit over-zealous on the comments - in the end it got too much, i totally lost my confidence and quit playing.

I started back training again a few years ago and since then my boss has been hard on me, but then when he does give me compliments it really means something to me - right now I'm on the top of my game, and I was our league's player of the month.

I think the conclusion I'm arrowing towards is that I have seen both sides of coaches, and I think that, if you have a coach who won't have a go at you when you mess up, or he seems satisfied with whatever you do, it seems that you won't improve as a player, and the weak points in your game won't improve as they stay neglected.

5. Ben16

Ben16 New Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Georgia
    Some of my coaches over the years have really tried to tear me down whenever i have a bad day but i just take it on the chin and get on with it.

6. Malenfant

Malenfant New Member

Dec 2, 2004
    Gulfport
    I try and use it as motivation when I get criticised, it works best for me when the other players make me angry. It has worked very well for me, and I have continued to improve much more then any of my teamates because while they sit around and bitch and moan when someone gets on to them I push myself harder.

7. brazilia nut

brazilia nut New Member

Nov 29, 2004
    my coach is really hard on me...every half he tells me something...infront of the whole team...I had a tough time handling it...our assistant coach then told me he picked on me so much because he knew I was better... and tell yourself that he wouldnt even botter if you sucked...i got yelled at for the stupidest things in the world...but remember its all the little things that make the difference between winning and losing at the end of the 90...My advice is take what he says like you would with food...eat it...digest it...and ******** what you dont like about it...

Push yourself until your body cries for you to stop and your mind tells you you cant...find the voice that will tell that voice: YES I CAN....push yourself and you will acheive all your goals...if you always say YES I CAN....

and last but not least keep it simple and enjoy the beautiful game!

8. Theo P

Theo P New Member

Mar 6, 2004
    I used to have a coach like the bobby knight guy. he was such a prik.about a third of the way thru the season I convinced everyone to go to the head of my club and tell them that if the coach wasn't fired we would all quit. my little revolution worked. he got fired rite away. :)