Most watched event of 2005: NFL's Superbowl

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by AndyMead, Dec 29, 2005.

1. HSEUPASSION

HSEUPASSION New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Duck, NC
    The super bowl does have a massive concert and all the crap that goes along with it. It's like 85% hoopla, 15% game.

Game usually bores the hell out of me. The Pats ones have been OK, but alot of the time someone gets blown out.

2. Pack87Man

Pack87Man BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 1, 2001
    Quad Cities
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why on earth would the NFL lie about any kinds of numbers? They are, by far, the richest sports league in the world. No one, and I mean no one comes close. European soccer leagues have wet dreams about making the kind of money the NFL makes. Don't get me wrong, I love soccer, but I'm also a huge Green Bay Packers fan, so insulting football is really not a good way to start off a conversation.

3. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But see, soccer can only improve its standing in the US by its fans denigrating other sports.

4. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed your post.

In other news, the most watched event of 2005 : "The Wiggles, live in concert!"

Most potentially watched event of 2005 : "Dog grooming championships, LIVE from Tuscon!!!"

In my household, that is.

5. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    so are you saying their claim is true?

Or are you saying that although they are saying something that isn't true, somehow it isn't a lie?

As to why they'd lie, well it's great hype isn't it? Look how huge this event is, not just here, but around the world too!

6. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    That's right. One can only denigrate the fired coaching staffs. That bleeping Sherman....

7. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
  8. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
  9. Couverite

Couverite Guest

Seems fairly clear that two different things are being measured. From the article Andy Mead provided, the event in question was the CL Final ALONE. In the Indian Televison article, the 100 million figure is the aggregate viewership in Asia for ALL CL matches during the season.

10. Association_Football

Sep 29, 2004
    US
    NFL would hype things up around super bowl time. they want average joe americans to believe it's world's most popular game. it's just a way to express american exceptionalizm. actual figure of super bowl viewrs is around 93million with 91mil being north american audience. and 1mil being uk audience. still, 1mil in the rest of the world is remarkable considering it has minimal popularity around the world.

believe it or not, it's true that nfl is exaggerating its viewreship and popularity around the world. just go to superbowl.com you'll see what i mean.

11. Pingudo

Pingudo New Member

Nov 18, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I've seen similar numbers from various publications. Here's a breakdown by region:

Approx. TV households (in millions)

Asia Pacific .................630m (China 350m, India 100m)
    Europe .......................240m
    North America .............122m (USA 110m, Canada 12m)
    Latin America/Caribbean 120m
    Africa/Middle East .........70m

Here's my conservative estimate. I'll use a modest 3 persons/household in my calculations:

Asia .........2% of households -> 13m * 3 ~ 39m viewers
    Europe .....15% -> 36m * 3 ~ 108m viewers
    L.America ...5% -> 6m * 3 ~ 18m viewers
    Africa/M.E. 5% -> 3.5m * 3 ~ 11m viewers

Total worldwide viewers: ~ 176million

12. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I hate soccer fans.