Most watched event of 2005: NFL's Superbowl

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by AndyMead, Dec 29, 2005.

1. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  2. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Cool, thanks for the link. I didn't realize that the Super Bowl beat out the Champion's League final. Its also interesting that, if FIFA's estimates were correct, over 3 times the amount of people that watched the Super Bowl watched the World Cup draw.....an event in which not a single minute of actual sports was played.

3. AZSaint

AZSaint New Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Phoenix
    Don't worry, I'm sure come HyperBowl time, all the talk will be of a billion people watching as they normally predict. Great to finally see a number on the worldwide audience though. 1.86m. Seems a bit high?

4. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Never heard of the HyperBowl. What is it?

5. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you show me where they predict this? They say there is a "potential audience of 1 billion," but that's a lot different than your implication that they lie about their viewership.

6. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Im sure the NFL or ABC doesn't claim the 1 billion number, but I have seen some media outlets mistakenly refer to that number not as potential viewership but actual.....or in the very least "forget" to include the "potential" qualifier. But I've never seen it as an official statement by those actually involved in the production or broadcast of the game.

7. AZSaint

AZSaint New Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Phoenix
    I'm just pointing out that talk of this **potential** audience is a very sneaky and unnecessary (and sad) way of hyping the over-hyped HyperBowl even more don't you think?

It's delibrately mis-leading and really there's no need for it.

8. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No smilies in your post so I'll assume your question was genuine. Dangerous, I know.

He was referring to the Super Bowl.

9. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Do you mean Super Bowl when you use the pejorative Hyper Bowl?

If so, you realize the usage of pejoratives damages any case you're trying to make. You're posts are instantly colored as being from someone with an unobjective agenda.

10. AZSaint

AZSaint New Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Phoenix
    Really? Why's that then? This is a footy message board isn't it? Why would anyone give a toss if someone knocks gridiron?

11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Because, at least in the United States, most "footy" fans are also fans of other sports. While soccer/football/calcio/futbol/futebol may be religion in the rest of the world, most American sports fans are fans of multiple sports.

It's possible to enjoy soccer and American football. Personally, I don't really care that much for the NFL or college football. But I also respect the fact that most of my friends and the folks that I interact with do.

And if I start a comment with "gridball" or some other pejorative, they're going to tune out the rest of what I say.

You are not "preaching to the choir" here. If you're just "having a toss", you're in the wrong place.

12. AZSaint

AZSaint New Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Phoenix
    So America is a humourless society then after all. Thanks for the heads up.

PS You might want to find out what a toss actually is before you acuse someone of having one...

13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Exactly where have I called it "humorless", or if you prefer "humourless?"

Will do. Thanks.

14. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://online.wsj.com/public/articl...ibnrPO2TbY_20060721.html?mod=tff_main_tff_top

Yeah, because this is nothing anyone associated with soccer would ever do. :rolleyes:

15. AZSaint

AZSaint New Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Phoenix
    You start with a pretty funny gag (ie calling American football "gridball") and your listeners tune out? That's a humourless society, my friend.

16. AZSaint

AZSaint New Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Phoenix
    Fair point. All these worldwide audience claims are ludicrous.

BUT to me to suggest that 9/10 of a viewing audience is made up of people from overseas who don't even play the game is the more ludicrous of the claims. And we all know what the NFL is trying to imply by such an absurd statement don't we?

17. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They don't say that's the viewing audience. They say that's the potential viewing audience. So does plenty of other events. And it's no more absurd than FIFA counting me 30 or 40 times over the course of a World Cup.

Try as you might to spin football alone in such negative terms, you can't do it. And your inability to recognize the Super Bowl as a huge event - regardless of the breakdown of those viewers - is as ignorant and elitist as people in the states who dismiss soccer.

18. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    It's not "humourless", it's an insult.

It's like someone who wants to give you advice on your daughter saying, "That 11 year old slut of yours could stand to bathe more often."

19. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gridball isn't funny. It's stale. Like calling baseball "boreball" and "Mutant League Soccer" and "cRapids" and "F*C* Dallas" and all the rest. Enough already. No one's being clever.

And it is okay to like other sports, too. Really, it is.

20. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Can you find a single example of the NFL itself, or any of its official broadcasting partners, claiming that 1 billion watched the Super Bowl in any given year?? Please?? I would really love to see that. It's never the official statement....its usually a secondary media outlet misreporting the statistic. The NFL is not "trying to imply" anything.

21. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Only 73 million of telespectators for MILAN-LIVERPOOL!!!!
    It is simply ridicolous.Only in Italy they were over 15 million and only in China about 400 million!!!!

22. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Population of Italy: 58,103,333
    15 million means 25% of the country was watching the game

Population of China: 1,306,313,812
    400 million means 30% of the country was watching the game, and considering a far lower percentage of the population in China has a TV than that of Italy. :eek:

Do you have a link showing these numbers?

23. JasonC

JasonC New Member

May 21, 2001
    Billings, Mont.
    To shamelessly steal a phrase from another Chicago (well, I *think* he's still in Chicago) broadcaster, "THAT'S WHY HE'S HERE!"

24. TarheelJTK

TarheelJTK Member

Dec 14, 2004
    Jersey City
    Yeah, the NFL doesn't have to imply anything. They are just a very successful business that has no need to make up numbers for the amount of people that watch their games. Now MLS on the other hand, they use some dodgy numbers to make their product look better.

25. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    What dodgy numbers? Link?