Most underated players

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by Ukrainesheva, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    No, he's rated better because he moved to a big club and proved that he could hack it on the biggest stage against the best clubs in the world. Moving to a big club doesn't suddenly make you better than other players. Just ask Mario Gomez.

That may be but that's irrelevant to what we're talking about. Milito's 30 btw.

Well then you're just being obtuse. Milito was the best player in Serie A last season, scored 2 goals in a CL final, scored Inter's only goal in the Coppa Italia, and their only goal in the match that gave them the scudetto. He is a front runner for the Balon d'Or. But ok.

2. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Please don't display your ignorance. We who followed his career knew Milito was great when he was the key to Racing Club winning the Argentine title. If you know anything about Argentine football you'd know how hard it is for Racing to win the title. It's sort of the Argentine equivalent of Inter winning Champions League. Milito got them there. He was doing then what he does now.

Then he went to Europe and he continued doing it. Those who followed his career knew he was a great goalscorer, and he always scored goals, regardless of who he played for. For the rest of the football world, he was underrated.

Finally a big club gave him the shot he deserved, and what he did this year -culminating with the treble for Inter, scoring consistently and scoring in every big game- is merely a confirmation, for those of us who knew his value to a team ever since he started at Racing.

To compare Darren Bent to him at this point is ridiculous. Bent is a good player, and perhaps the day will come when a big club might take a chance on him and he might validate how good you think he is by winning and scoring key goals when it matters most.

But until then, he cannot be mentioned in the same sentence as Gabriel Milito.

3. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    ASF pretty much sums it up and actually provides a valid argument to support our case unlike you. In fact you've done about as good a job supporting your views on Bent as you did in supporting your argument on Tevez.

When are you going to support that argument about Tevez having a poor career which you said you'd do when you had more time. Based on your post history you have the time just not the inclination.

4. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    In fairness to Bent, he is a good player. However, he has already been a bit of a disappointment at a big club.

Also he'd be likely to struggle a bit more at an even bigger club because of his style of play. He likes running onto good through balls when teams leave space in at the back. For better teams in the Premiership there is often limited space behind defences because teams try and contain against the big teams.

He's be quite well suited to Spain in a way. The defences there tend to defend high up the pitch and allow a lot of space for players to run into.

5. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think Darren Bent is a good player, and he had a nice season for himself this year.

But I also think what we have here is a poster who has a history and an agenda of putting down Argentine players in every thread, and it seems to me that he is merely building Bent up in order to put down - based only on nationality - other players who accomplished much more than he did.

6. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Naturally. But in order to prove yourself you first have to MOVE! Some of the arguably best players of their time never had such a chance and are largely omitted from 'Best of...' lists as a result.

30 years, 11 months and 14 days. Sorry, but he's practically 31.

Hmm... Is that the official version or just your view? Honestly I would have definitely placed Sneijder, Samuel, Zanetti (dammit! 2 Argentinian on my list! what a despicable camouflage!), de Rossi and di Natale (or even i.e. Hamsik) ahead of Milito... 2 months of great play is too little for me to scoup such a prize given the other players were great all year round. And Sneijder and Samuel has as much to do with Inter's wins as Milito.

Yeah... I have an agenda :D I love it of fans of one team flock to a thread and start massaging each other and then state victory (a wink to Moishe).

Sorry. I pass. Milito is the best player in the World. Save for Messi of course.

Just slightly surprised you called Tottenham a 'big club'. They made the final four this year, but its a slight leap of faith (sort of like my statement with Bent :) )

Let's end the discussion on a conciliatory note. Tevez has had one good season with Man City as did Bent with Sunderland (we can both agree neither is a top club at the moment, albeit Man City has much higher expectations). Now they both have to replicate the form next season, because one season is too little to fully assess them as class players. Bent failed to make an impact at Tottenham, while Tevez failed to make an impact at Manchester United. Tevez didn't have a poor career. He had an OK career, but he was deemed surplus to Manchester United because he didn't perform to expectations (albeit some fans disagree and feel he was harshly treated by Ferguson).

Tevez also has yet to perform for the national side and all too often has been a useless spectator in many Argentine matches. But lets blame Maradona for that.

Both have yet to prove they can cope in a top team. Milito proved it, so I'll give you guys a win and state: Milito rulez!

p.s. Bent has definitely improved on one thing this season: He has grown in confidence and his finishing is miles better than it was last year at Tottenham. Right now apart from Fernando Torres I would say is the best finisher in the Premier League. Last season people were laughing at him for all the missed chances. The difference is quite remarkable for someone who remembers both.

7. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    If Darren Bent is not the focal point of a team's attack, he contributes nothing else to the team. Good finisher, but that's about it.

8. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    I don't want to reignite this discussion, but just out of curiosity: Wouldn't you say a 'good finisher, but that's about it' a nice summary of Diego Milito?

9. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Define a big club. Without question Spurs are the biggest club that Bent has played for and he was not a success.

10. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Hmm... I'm not really the person that should define 'big club'... You used the term. Besides - I get your point and you are right.

11. emmex

emmex New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    I would have no hesitation in picking Bent over Milito. Or even Tevez over Milito for that matter...

12. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Would you pick Ibrahimovic over Milito?

13. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Nobody is claiming victory, just pointing out how flawed most of your arguments are. To be honest I'm quite surprised how valiantly you are defending a player that is not of African lineage, that's very out of character for you.

You see nobody has claimed Milito to be the best or second best player in the world for that matter but what is claimed is that he was without a doubt the most influential player for his club when it mattered the most. I'm not sure how you can deny that.

Here you go with your uniformed Tevez had one good season and it was only with ManCity rubbish. You've discounted everything he's done at Boca as well as Corrinthians and for that matter his saving WHU from relegation. Look at how Tevez performed in CL/Cup matches and more importantly look at what ManU didn't accomplish after he left. I'd bet if you opened a thread in the ManU forums about whether they'd like Tevez back I'm sure you'd find that they would.

You back pedaled from Tevez having a poor career to an okay career comments you have yet to support other than them simply being your opinion. The truth is you know little to nothing about Tevez the player over the course of his career and just prefer to stir the pot. I now understand why people refer to you as a troll.

Let's not blame Maradona for how Tevez has performed of late for the national team. How about we blame Tevez? His national team career actually started off very impressively under Bielsa and then on to Pekerman but with Basile things went south. Some say it had to do with outside influences and maybe so but he's always owned his shortcomings.

There you have it, Bent needs to be taken seriously enough to land on a big team. Right now he's had one good season on a shite team. But yeah he's as good as any striker in the world.

Cool, based on what intangibles?

14. Bronaldo

Bronaldo Red Card

Apr 8, 2007
    Canada
    I don't want to get involved in this 'debate', but, comparing statistics from players in different leagues is fundamentally flawed.

15. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    Eric Abidal is pretty underated

16. tadm123

tadm123 Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Zanneti has always been underrated imo

17. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Intriguing... I wanted to make peace. You continue to want to fight. Hmm... and who is the troll in this situation? You are dude... and no Moderator status changes that.

Actually I could... I could claim Sneijder or Samuel or Zanetti were more influential. And I actually believe it.

No. But Corinthians or WHU aren't top sides. I could say you discounted everything Bent did for Ipswich Town or Charlton... The argument is that both players did not prove themselves at the big clubs.

Tevez had limited input in any ManU success in the last two seasons and the main game changer was the sale of Ronaldo, not the offloading of Tevez. Naturally you could argue that without Ronaldo Tevez could have a chance to shine like Rooney did.

I sometimes use exaggerated statements without thinking. I correct them afterwards to be more precise. Satisfied? Unlike most people on the board (especially including you) I can admit when I made a mistake and am wrong.

Midtable Premiership team is a shite team??? Talk about exagerrated statements.

Now... when did I say that? What's with the incessant putting stuff into my mouth...

Thanks about making it personal. Goodbye.

18. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    nah he has always been talked about one of the best in his position

19. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Def underrated by at least one person :) mr Maradona.

20. emmex

emmex New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Based only on what i've seen. Which to be honest, is not as much of Milito, as of Bent. But enough to know that i prefer the type of player such as Bent more than the type of player such as Milito. I am not a fan of slow strikers, and Milito seems slow. He looks like a good player on hot form, whereas, Bent is an excellent player with erattic form. I am not claiming Milito's style of play won't suit Italian leagues more than Bent, but internationally wise, i'd choose Bent. I just see more potential and variation in him. To be me should be one of the main strikers of England.

yes...and who wouldn't? I have seen though what Ibra can do, but i am still not much of a fan tbh. I prefer Henry who i think is one of the best players of all time.

21. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    No further questions for this witness. The People call the next witness: Inter fans.

22. Figo_7

Figo_7 Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Milito slow?? hahaha watch his goals in the champions league final and tell me he`s slow. You probably haven`t watched much of him but you must have seen the final.

23. tadm123

tadm123 Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    theres no doubt that milito is indeed slow, but he has a great touch and is clinical

24. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'm not looking to fight either, I've just wanted you to actually support your argument with more than opinion. That's not asking much is it?

Fair enough, why?

Actually compared to Ipswich Town and Charlton, Corinthians are more of a top side and since you brought it up, what did Bent win with either of those sides? At least Corinthians has a record of achievements over the past ten years (involving Tevez) which is so much more than what Ipswich and Charlton have one in the past 30 years combined not including lower division titles. With that said, what about Tevez's results with Boca a club that aside from this past year is historically a top team?

I never stated Tevez was the main reason why ManU have nothing this season but if you cannot see that he was missed then I don't know what to tell you. I suppose you also feel that keeping Berbatov was the better move by SAF?

I've never had an issue on these boards acknowledging when I'm wrong, you can look through my posting history to see that. I live my life by the adage that it's better to do right than be right. Like I said, feel free to go through my posts.

Sunderland finished 13th, 16th, 15th, championship), 20th, championship, championship.......one season at 13th does not make a team mid table quality, it makes them lucky. Let's see some consistency before we start touting them as something they are not.

You're right (see how easy that was?) it was Mensah you were saying was world class albeit when healthy but that's no different than saying a player is world class when he has a great game.

This is an online forum, nothing more nothing less and never personal. Stop being so sensitive when challenged.

Thank you for the honest response in which you helped me understand where your opinion stems from. I don't agree but I can live with where you are coming from.

25. kingkong1

kingkong1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Rio, Brazil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I don't know why a player has by force to run like a hare.

People forget that it's the ball that has to be fast not necessarily the player (who btw can be extremely quick without even leaving his position).

The ball hits the net - not its shooter.;)