Most underated players

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by Ukrainesheva, Jan 23, 2008.

1. erick

erick Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Bama Nation
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I get your point. ;)

2. TKORL

TKORL Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Mascherano is a product of the EPL?

LOL.

that is all.

3. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Really? In what capacity has his game improved since joining Liverpool or more specifically the EPL? I'll save you the trouble of having to make something up. He plays exactly in the same manner he did while at River and Corinthians....purely defensive minded midfield destroyer. Let me ask you this Erick but by virtue of only playing five matches for WestHam most of which were as a sub, what did he learn from that experience? Here is some food for thought Erick. Mascherano has been in an awful spell for Argentina for a while now so would you attribute that to the English playing experience as well?

4. tonygravato

tonygravato New Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Little Egg Harbor,NJ
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Regardless Eusebio is probably the most underrated player ever. This guy had one who was just slightly better then him and that was arguably the best Pele. Eusebio is never usually even mentioned when it comes to the best scorers of all time. You usually get Pele, maradona, cryuff.
    The Black Panther (or Pearl) is also never fully recognized as the first true African player because he played for Portugal at a time when Mozambique was part of Portugal. Eusebio awards are many from a WC Gold Boot, a Player of the Year, European Cup, European Gold Boot.... But how many kids do you know, know who he is. They all hear of Pele, Maradona, Cruyff but not Eusebio. Its just sad.

5. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Eusebio is not underrated. He's a legend. That's like saying Di Stefan, Beckenbauer and Best are underrated. They're all legends. Right up there just below "the big 3".

6. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs.

Im sure they've been mentioned already and probably by me, but I just got a reminder our underrated these players are. I was talking to my Colombian friend about which game to go to this preseason. When I brought up who Man Utd are bringing, mainly Scholes and Giggs, he said these guys are not stars. He then went on to say how they were more supporting cast or role players throughout their 17+ years and even compared Giggs to John Paxson.

Truth is, if they were Argentine/Spanish/Brazilian, they'd be respected all over the world buy even casual fans.

7. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Sounds like your friend doesn't know what he's talking about. I will concede Paxson was the wrong player to compare to but anyone with a remote knowledge of the game knows Giggs is one of the best players of the last 15-20 years regardless of being his nationality. Scholes also had a great career though I do rank him slightly behind Giggs.

8. tonygravato

tonygravato New Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Little Egg Harbor,NJ
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Then why is he is not even talked about in those terms? Most do not know who he is.

9. kingkong1

kingkong1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Rio, Brazil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    [​IMG]

Well, not me.:cool:

PS: Eusébio is in all my All-Time 22's.

10. tadm123

tadm123 Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    he's underrated because your colombian friend doesn't know a lot of football history? :rolleyes:

11. BTV802

BTV802 BigSoccer Supporter

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Vurnon Anita was converted from a right footed midfielder to a left back this season and really impressed. He was the best left back in the Eredivisie this season and was just called up to the National team for the first time.

12. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Kalusha Bwalya - one of the best players of his generation. Shame his whole team died in a plane crash and due to that he never had a chance to shine at the World Cup...

13. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Reading is not your strong point.

I said it was a reminder of how people under rated them. My friend isnt the only person though.

Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs are underrated because Scholes has never even won a PFA award, and Giggs just won his first after so long, despite these players being among the best of the generation. These are examples of why they are underrated.

14. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Bastian Schweinsteiger.

Maybe this will change after comin World Cup.:D

15. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Nah. He was rated just right before this season, maybe even overrated because of his NT performances.

16. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    time to get a new friend

17. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Diego Milito

- doesn't quite get the praise other strikers of his generation gets but has been absolutely massive for Inter this season.

18. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Diego Milito has gotten all the praise he deserves for this season. So saying he is underrated at the moment is ridiculous. You could say he was underrated 1 year ago, when he was quite anonymous or 2-3 years ago when nobody wanted him... but now: he's getting all the praise he duly deserves.

19. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Certainly great players, but the lack of the awards is not proof of underrating them. Neither of them had a season in which they were the best in the league.

20. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Weren't you the same poster that in a very recent thread said he wasn't as good a striker as Darren Bent? When someone actually has the audacity to claim Bent is a better striker then it's a fairly easy argument to make that Milito is somewhat underrated.

21. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Yes he's getting praise now but he's been underrated for most of his career even when he was scoring a bunch of goals from crap teams like Zaragoza and Genoa.

22. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    No. Basically it shows that Darren Bent is massively underrated (i.e. by you). I bet you that when Milito was playing at second rate sides you would have never said he was a top striker.

Bent's main issue is he doesn't play for a big side and has no chance for i.e. Champion's League glory. Diego Milito plays at Inter and suddenly he transforms into one of the world's best striker? That's not how it works.

Fact is that Darren Bent scored more goals than Milito this season in the league and has a better goals per game ratio. So in what way is Bent a worse striker? The fact that he plays at lowly Sunderland? In that case according to that logic Milito was never underrated, because when he played for i.e. Genoa he was just a mediocre striker doing good in a mediocre club?

So basically lets include Darren Bent to the underrated list :D
    It's much harder to bang up such a goal tally whilst playing for a mid-table club (much less quality service). Bent scored no less than 50% of Sunderland's goals this season!!! I still rate Bent more highly than Milito, but that's aside from the fact that Milito is a top striker.

Most people do however seem to have a poor memory and equate Milito to his great run of the last 2 months or so (suddenly he's the best striker in the world and even better than Rooney or Drogba or even di Natale for that matter).

23. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    I don't agree about Bent, he has to do it again, but I agree with the higlighted part.

24. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Actually most people who followed Milito knows he's always been a good striker but because the fact that he played for second rate sides he never got the recognition he deserved. He was always one of the top strikers in La Liga when he was there till his final season which was when Zaragonza imploded and were sent to the second division. And even then he scored around 17 goals for them.

No, like I said he's always been a very good striker. The fact that he was doing it now at an even higher level is what gives him the recognition.

Milito had a better goals to game ratio in the league last season for Genoa than Bent did this season. They both scored the same amount of goals, 24.

See above.

Milito has been banging in goals for mid table and crappy clubs most of his career. He moved to a big club and was a key factor in every single victory that lead to Inter's treble. That's why he's rated better than Bent.

It may not be fair to Bent since he hasn't shown what he can do at the biggest stage but until he does I see no reason to rate him above Milito.

25. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Yes. I agree. He is rated better than Bent BECAUSE HE MOVED TO A BIG CLUB.

BTW: Bent is 26, whilst Milito is 31. Bent has a lot of time to prove himself. I still say that Bent is in a better place in his career than Milito was at the age of 26.

And I see no reason to rate him below Milito.