Most overrated, underrated

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by phil80, Aug 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    Actually the first name on the list was Torres with 16 goals. You are correct about the others however and the point about positions played is a valid one.

I am not arguing that C Ronaldo is overrated or underrated.

I am just being pedantic. ;+D

2. Martininho

Martininho Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pedantry? On Bigsoccer.com?! Unprecedented!!! ;)

BTW, I am also impressed with C. Ronaldo's scoring contributions from a wide position. It will be interesting to see whether he can lead Manchester United deep into the CL this year; last year, he didn't seem quite ready to assume the mantle of leadership.

I also agree with the concept that consistency of performance over a lengthy period (at least 1.5 years) is a sound benchmark, as it takes into account multiple campaigns in multiple competitions for club and country (assuming of course, that one must be playing for both to qualify for Best in World...but maybe I'm just being pedantic...oh, wait). ;):D

3. phil80

phil80 Member

Aug 25, 2007
    as jpick asked, who doesnt like him and why?

4. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I wondered the same thing. Not as highly publicized as the rest of some of the Barca players but a joy to watch and very consistent imho.

5. Massimo_Oddo

Massimo_Oddo New Member

Jan 24, 2006

Well by this logic Ronaldo did not perform well enough in the CL.

And Teso, are you sure Ronaldo is better than Totti in terms of output?

And still, a rather stupid logic to base the argument on goals scored. I remember people used to actually claim Lampard was better than Ronaldinho simply by looking at his goals.

6. Twix

Twix New Member

Apr 28, 2007
    No-one's basing it on just 'goals'. It was just being stated that 19 goals in January from a wide player is outstanding as many strikers even can't match that.

Plus who ever said Lampard was better than Ronaldinho..??

7. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Is Cristiano Ronaldo still over rated?

8. Twix

Twix New Member

Apr 28, 2007
    Apparently he still is.

9. Massimo_Oddo

Massimo_Oddo New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    it was on this forum around 2004/2005 time plus it was on the 606 forums aswell.

Yes its good, but the goal statistics only get you so far. I mean Pires had similar records, but i didnt see people calling him the best player in the world.

10. Twix

Twix New Member

Apr 28, 2007
    iirc Pires never got 20 goals in a season before plus he wasn't the driving force behind the Arsenal team, he wasn't as consistent as Ronaldo is now and he didn't perform very well in all competitions etc...

He was a very fine player but he just didn't deserve world recognition on a 'best player' level.

11. Massimo_Oddo

Massimo_Oddo New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    I said similar records. He got 18 goals one season, and was consistantly getting around 15 goals in the prem each season.

I think Pires was equally as consistant. He was part of the driving force of the team along with Henry and Vieira. Just the same way Ronaldo is part of the driving force of Man Utd along with others like Rooney and Tevez.

Im not saying he's the best player in the world. Im just saying that using the logic that some have used in this board, one could come to that conclusion even though we know Pires wasnt the best player in the world.

12. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    What was Pires assist tally like?

13. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    why is this thread still open? :confused:

1152 posts.

14. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Don't even think about it.

15. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    You know my thoughts on Totti. They have both been in their best form to date over recent seasons for a variety of reasons. Despite that Totti cannot match Ronaldo for goals, assists and influence across all competitions. Although it should be noted that over the last 18 months he matches Ronaldo for goals in club competitions but he obviously falls behind internationally in terms of both his overall career and post-World Cup due to his international retirement. In terms of individual seasons Totti can boast of having scored more goals (last season) but that has everything to do with their respective roles. Even then Ronaldo last season beat every other season Totti has had in his career and this season is shaping up to be even better, thus continuing his trend of improvement in each and every season.

Pires was mentioned, so I'll say a bit about him. The time period most people refer to is 02/03 to 04/05 when he scored 14 league goals in three consecutive seasons. He was a key component in the Arsenal team during that time. You questioned why no-one mentioned him as being the best player in the world. The simple answer is that he never was and the same applies to the ludicrous Lampard claims you mentioned. The key difference between the aforementioned players and Ronaldo is that the latter has just had a better overall season at every level (inc. internationally) and is doing even better this season. These 18 months of exceptional form, particularly when the usual big names are not performing at all well, is why there has been legitimate claims of him being the best player in the world.

16. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only by Teso. I think everybody else rates him just fine.

17. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    If he was rated 'just fine' then no-one would have an issue with my posts and most of them would not even be required.

18. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Erm, Ok :confused:
    People have issues with your posts because you overrate everything related to ManU. If you occasionally threw in an unbiased thought about ManU then maybe people wouldn't always debate every point you make. Maybe they'd think you actually had a point.

19. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Eh? I don't overrate everything connected with Man Utd and I support practically everything I post with evidence or further explanation. Any claims otherwise is clearly rubbish. If people had read my posts on the Man Utd board then they would know this. That most of the discussions outside of that board are in relation to Man Utd players that are clearly good is not my fault. After all, no-one cares about the players that do not perform and most don't see them in any detail each week.

Does supporting an underrated player or trying to explain why players are overrated make a person biased? If so you are also guilty as charged in relation to several players that we both know well and require no introduction. Does that mean you overrated their clubs as well (by extension)? What about in relation to AC Milan players? Like me, you defend and praise those that perform across BS but you will only find your negative posts on the Milan or Italy board for reasons I detailed previously.

My posts are here for all to see and if anyone is capable of refuting them in a sensible and factually accurate manner then they are more than welcome. That most are unable to do so speaks volumes about my knowledge and analysis of the topics. It also highlights my lack of bias/ignorance. I'm just sick of people going straight for the bias or opinion cop-out because they know they don't have a leg to stand on in regard to their posts. You know exactly where I am coming from with this, so to say that I am disappointed with your unexpected and incorrect claims would be an understatement.

20. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    I'll think about it. Thread closed. Feel free to open up another.