Most overrated, underrated

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by phil80, Aug 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    yeah, but he's a different kind of player.

2. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Just ignore dor02, who is simply playing the clown (as usual).

3. impalemeplz

impalemeplz Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Sydney
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    solid fullbacks always get the shaft. there is no suprise there.

just look at thuram before the croatia game at world cup 98. reiziger was being overhyped at the time just because he was an ajax youth player, etc.

4. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    WTF? This is the first time I've heard you say anything bad about me. It took you three years? :confused: Did it hurt you when I said Rooney and Ferdinand?

5. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Perhaps because I disagree with everything contained in that post.

6. B Rock

B Rock Member

Oct 7, 2004
    I don't see much to argue about in the post, I think he stretched a bit with his descriptions (especially Ferdinand's) but I think his categorizations were for the most part spot on. Of course Beckham isn't as much overrated by football fans as he is overhyped by the general public. There is quite a difference, but its down to semantics.

VDS is certainly weaker against long distance shots then one would like, but he's a tremendous shot stoper. He's not world class, but the problem with his career is that he never really found his depth once he left Ajax. He wasn't Juventus quality, but he was far better then Fulham's level, and now he finds himself probably slightly out of his depth again at United. The difference at United is that they were desperate for a solid keeper who wouldn't make howlers and that is exactly what he provided. I think he's more of a fit for a UEFA cup side in England though. He doesn't provide enough of the spectacular on the European stage for my money.

While Rooney is quite a talent, he hasn't established himself as world class yet. He was off colour for much of United's season last year, and Ronaldo was the undoubted fulcrum of success, not Rooney. I don't think many are doubting the talent, I think most are doubting the consistency and the temper. Until he sorts those out he's simply not worthy of the type of praise he gets regularly.

Rio again is a victim of high expectations. He's a tremendously physically gifted defender and is one of the best in the Premiership. Yet you get the feeling that he should be one of the best in the world and he simply isn't. Its another case of consistency on a weekly basis. He simply makes too many mental errors to be considered top in the world, which is where he should be and where he is regarded by many.

These aren't materially overrated players, they're all very good and would be welcomed in at 95% of the clubs in the world as leading stars; however, for the hype they receive the goods don't quite meet the billing.

7. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I have already dealt with Ferdinand, Rooney and Beckham previously in this thread. VDS is a very good keeper and has proved that for Man Utd. Aside from a poor spell at Juventus he has been one of the better keepers of his generation. Long-shots might be an issue every so often but every single keeper and player has a weakness. It's not like he will lose a goal the second someone shots from range. Other keepers have far worse issues and are still rated highly. dor02 is guilty of basing his opinion on his time at Juventus alone. Aside from that I disagree with all of his comments and player selections.

8. impalemeplz

impalemeplz Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Sydney
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i wouldnt say rio has all the physical gifts. as i recall he got easily outmuscled by JVoH in that 3-2 thriller, against celtic, and united would of dropped 2 pts against the scottish outfit if it wasnt for that phantom penalty against boruc.

he also put united's title in question during the run in stage of the season thanks to an own goal so there is some substance to the ferdinand theory.

9. TKORL

TKORL Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Semi-Overrated --- Lionel Messi

Properly Overrated --- John Terry

Semi - Underrated --- Ayala, Nesta, Materazzi, Puyol...wait, any good CB that doesn't play in EPL

Underrated --- Rio Ferdinand.

10. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    VDS, who had a shakey spell after he was kicked in the face, was to blame for the own goals. Ferdinand played a safe ball back to the keeper who had decided to move off his line and not bother letting his defense know. Ferdinand had all the physical gifts and more than proved that for Leeds. For Man Utd and England he plays a different role and will only put in the physical challenges if required. He is moving away from that kind of play because of the type of defender he is. When you are the organiser (and almost sweeper) in the defense unit then you cannot afford to come out and meet the attacker like a stopper would because you leave the defense open. That is why players of that nature operate best when they have a complementary partner who can do the physical stuff and be pro-active in defense. It's all about balance. Ferdinand would not be able to do what he does if he was forced to play the physical game all the time. It's why he does not and can sometimes struggle against a physical striker who does nothing but try to foul him. This generally applies across the board when looking at central defenders of different types. I cannot think of a single central defender in the game today that can do it all.

11. brassmonkey

brassmonkey Member

Oct 10, 2003
    Well that might explain some of Holland's problems at the back, because Ashley Cole has been complete crap since he left Arsenal. Wayne Bridge has been far better and should be playing at left back.

12. phil80

phil80 Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Im not a fan of defenders passing back if the keepers are likely to get pressured, especially if the back pass is towards goal, too many mistakes can happen. If you are talking about the portsmouth game, ferdinand should have just cleared it himself as VDS would have been pressured either way by the rushing forward. It was a miscommunication, but to avoid it, the ball should've been cleared out beforehand.

13. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Passing it back to the keeper is usually the safer option. Unfortunately it runs a small risk of your keeper being stupid. Every defender has played it back to their keeper at one time or another. There is a big difference between a simple pass back, which Ferdinand did, and passing it back when you know your keeper will instantly be pressured on the ball. The former happens at least one in every single game of football and the latter, while risky, is sometimes the only option.

14. TKORL

TKORL Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    rep worthy

15. TKORL

TKORL Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    or he was never that good to begin with.

I forgot to add ashley cole to the overrated list.

16. Joshrocker48

Joshrocker48 New Member

Sep 8, 2007
    Michigan
    Overrated: Frank Lampard and Rio Ferdinand

Underrated: Brian McBride and Alexander Hleb

17. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Great explanation you have there.

18. mintone

mintone New Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Seattle
    Overrated:

Wayne Rooney. He is a very good player but he is just not the world beater english fans seem to think he is. He may become one someday but he is not yet.

Landon Donovan. As all americans aready know. He is supremly talented but just does not have the heart to be "the best american footballer". Nuff said.

The Argentines Messi and Tevez are both a little bit overrated. Messi has been injured to often in his short career to really judge his "greatness". Tevez had half of a good season. Jury is still out.

Underrated:

Michael Essien. Everyone wants to talk about Lampard. Essien drives Chelsea . Not anyone else.

Yakubu. In the last 4 years only Henry scored more league goals.

19. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Rooney - If anything Rooney is underrated around the world considering the quality he has, the performances he has put in and the stats he has posted. There is no doubt that the English press overrated him at the start but you cannot hold that against the player. Underrated.

Donovan - No-one outside of ignorant Yanks rated him in the first place. He is neither over nor underrated in the grand scheme of things. In fact, he is an irrelevance.

Messi - Agreed based on his injuries. He obviously has the talent but we need to wait and see how he performs over the course of an entire season to see if he can put in the consistency required.

Tevez - Only someone who has not watched Tevez pre-West Ham would claim that he is overrated.

Essien - Overrated by some because he does not have the attacking game to make him the complete midfielder some claim but likewise he is rated very highly for what he does do. Another player who is neither under not overrated.

Yakubu - He can go missing but I would agree that he is underrated considering what he has done since he arrived in the Premiership.

20. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    With Messi I believe he's overrated not because of injuries, but because through more playing time with his NT and with higher expectations, he really hasn't delivered. It helps to pick your head up when you have the ball. When Messi learns this, he'll start to become a truly gifted.

As for Tevez, I was just gonna say "what Teso said" but then I realized that would be too easy. If you're basing his slow start at ManU as the foundation for your argument then you need to watch more futbol. Granted I too had expected a quicker impact from Carlitos, but what are you gonna do. As for "half of a good season" that was actually the gusto and juevos you rarely see from an athlete anymore. He was actually the only player imho on that WHU squad that never quit. Factor in three South American player of the year awards, one Campeonato best player award (unheard of for an Argentine) an Olympic Gold as well as Golden Boot in that same tournament. I won't say he underrated but overrated? Go back and watch him from before England and then you'll change your opinion, a truly gifted player.

21. phil80

phil80 Member

Aug 25, 2007
    I can see how you think hes overrated but to say Messi hasnt delivered is completely incorrect. He dribbles with his head down but is exceptional at getting out of tight situations and still manages to make the right pass. He did well in wc 2006, copa america, la liga after coming back from injury, and performed solidly against bayern and inter this preseason, what more can he deliver on? especially as a 20 year old.

22. TKORL

TKORL Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Messi's head is down, but his eyes are always pointed forward, it's just his stance.
    He will likely never live up to expectations, but he has regularly delivered. The second half of Barca's season shows that. How many of the world's best players were this good at a top club at this age?

In time, I think he will mature and add more to his game, and so I don't think we've seen the best of him yet. Even if he doesn't become a great passer, IMO he's still the best in the world for attacking dribbling.

Rooney was overrated earlier, but he has proven himself to be one of the best SS in the world, it's just the question of whether he is the best in the world based on current form.

23. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Most overrated Totti for even being put in the same sentance as Ronaldinho. Yuck.

24. super_k

super_k New Member

Aug 7, 2005
    Boston... now HK

You underrated Totti.