Most overrated team in all of Europe 2002-3 Season

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by n00bie deluxe, Jul 17, 2003.

1. n00bie deluxe

n00bie deluxe New Member

Aug 31, 2002
    Who was the most overrated last season?

For the purposes of this poll, in addition to UEFA play, you may consider domestic results.

2. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Mwah... none of them were that overrated IMO.

A lot of people seem to forget the difference in class is quite smalle at the top as a rule. Any other situation is the exception and not the rule. Form of the day, luck, there's a lot of factors that contribute to a match. Being the stronger team is relative. And so is 'overrated' or 'underrated'.

3. n00bie deluxe

n00bie deluxe New Member

Aug 31, 2002
    I generally agree, but some people (media and fans) were going nuts last year with statements like:

THIS YEAR'S ARSENAL TEAM IS THE GREATEST TEAM TO PLAY IN ENGLAND EVER!

or

THIS YEAR'S REAL MADRID TEAM IS THE GREATEST TEAM OF ALL-TIME!

and at the end of the year, the hardware didn't back up the claims.

4. Jawz10

Jawz10 Moderator

Feb 27, 1999
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Then why are Milan in the poll. They may have stumbled through the finish line, but they undoubtably ran one of the best races.

5. urtel

urtel Member

Jul 16, 2003
    PDX
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    Finland
    As a Bayern Munchen fan, or fan of the Bundesliga, in my opinion, they didn't live up to the smash-mouth hype. Year in, year out, they're the strongest team in Germany. I'd like to see some more Euro success.

6. miko

miko New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Ireland
    None of them were overrated.

7. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    You forgot ManUre as a choice.

8. beachesl

beachesl Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Mendoza, Argentina
    Liverpool, Roma, and Barcelona has to be on that
    list.

9. NyJUVEhead

NyJUVEhead New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    i dont think that any of those teams are overrated they all had significant accomplishments last year.

Barcelona was the most overrated team last year, they had a chance in the champions league but juve was a little too much for them to handle.

Roma is another team that could underachieved last year

10. drdi

drdi Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Porto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    F.C.PORTO!!!!!the most UNDERRATED team in Europe!!

11. fatboy slim-fast

fatboy slim-fast New Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Jersey/NYC
    over-rated= A.S. Roma

12. DanRod78

DanRod78 New Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Kansas City, KS
    Real Madrid:

Almost didn't win the Spanish League.

Didn't make it to the final in Champions League 2003 Is this supposed to be the best team in the World???

13. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Overrated in UEFA play: Bayern

Overrated in domestic play: Arsenal

14. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    don't forget leeds. sure, no one thought they'd be hauling trophies; but when venables came on, there was some genuine optimism up there.

and, of course, many otherwise reasonable people were picking liverpool to take the prem.

15. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Well, on paper they probably are.
    However, on grass they have been proven to be mere humans from time to time.

16. miko

miko New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Ireland
    Valencia, maybe. Towards the end of the season they were losing most matches.

17. zhqnzhibin

zhqnzhibin New Member

Aug 10, 2003
    i agree

liverpool is the most

18. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I thought overrated meant a good team who had good results, but actually sucked.

As a fan, I hate to say Real Madrid.... struggled to make it to the quaterfinal..... struggled to win the league title. :(

19. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    Did you really expect Real Madrid to steamrole through the league? This isn't Scotland we're talking about. I am anti-Madrid but the fans of Madrid are being a bit harsh. A semi-final appearance in the CL and a league title is a great accomplishment. Madrid might "los galacticos" on offense but they are miniscule on defense. It isn't a balanced team and that's why they didn't get to the CL final.

20. RaJitsu

RaJitsu New Member

I think the Real Madrid fans got a bit spoiled with the 3 times CL-win in 5 years, and a those great players they have. Spending a lot on buying good players get's you very far, but not always to the end. Although you have lot of quality-players, forming a good team is the most important. Juve and AC Milan got this better than Real Madrid, at least enough with the combination of good players they also have (but not like Real).

21. EasyStreet

EasyStreet New Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Colorado
    AC Milan and Inter Milan

22. fischetts

fischetts New Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Long Island/Baltimor

Correct me if I'm wrong, but between both Milan clubs, did they not only go undefeated against Ajax, but defeat them 3 out of 4 times.

I guess finishing second and third makes you overrated. I guess winning the CL and/or making the semifinals of the competition makes you overrated.

You know what? I think Ajax is overrated for coming in second in the Dutch League and only making the CL quarters. Far-fetched? I think so.

23. EasyStreet

EasyStreet New Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I actually like AC Milan but the just tailed of at the End and played some serious boring futbol at the end and thus I think they are over rated.

24. Parkhead_Faithful

Parkhead_Faithful New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland

I would tend to agree if it werent for celtic, last season most people were expecting celtic to crash out in the uefa from the second round onwards, the rest is history ;)

25. classicalmusic

classicalmusic New Member

Sep 7, 2001
    Bayern were the biggest disappointment last year in the Champions League -- there is little doubt about that.

Though, in the Bundesliga they took home the league crown in a quite facile manner.