PBP: Most Overrated Country in World Football and why?

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by Idolg1982, Apr 12, 2011.

?

Most Overrated Country

Poll closed Apr 6, 2012.
  1. Russia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. England

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. USA

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Mexico

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Turkey

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Portugal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Ireland

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Greece

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Italy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Look I don't think the Spaniard team that won the WC 2010 was the best team in that competition, neither was the Italian side in 2006. But that's my opinion and can be contested every which way. That's why the best argument ender for any best ever teams has to be. Did they win anything?

That 82 Brazilian team... failed
    1978 cup (3rd place) sure that WC caused the new rule that all games needed to be played at the same time because of the implication of the Peruvian GK being Argentinean and letting go a bunch of goals....
    1979 Copa America ... Paraguay straight up beat them!
    1982 cup Italy straight up beat them...
    1983 copa America... Uruguay straight up beat them (we seem to have a guayan problem)
    1986 WC lost to France in PKs in the quarter final...
    1987 Copa America.. towards the end of those great players and a lot of new great players coming in.. but took a 4 x 0 beating from Chile

so.. best team failed 6 times?

2. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Im not arguing about any team being the best ever, my arguement started when somebody said something about one team cant be better than the team they lost to. That's why i brought up the example of brasil 82. You can be a great team and lose and even be better than the team you lost to.

But i agree with you results matter when selecting the best teams of all times. That's why i dont even have the 2010 Spain team in my top 10. They won almost every game by just one goal and only scored more than a goal one time. Plus they lost their opening game so to me that wasnt a dominant team to be considered the best ever.

[]__[]

3. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think the 82 Brazil team gets a lot of credit, perhaps too much, because it was a great team to watch. Anyone who remembers that world cup will tell you that team epitomised everything that was loved about the almost mythical Brazilian way of playing, and was held up as the way the game should be played.

Brazilian teams have won the world cup since, but none have impressed like that team did. People just love teams, and players for that matter, with flair.

4. 764dak

764dak Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Spain is overrated.

5. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    I think this is exactly what it is. Same goes for Total football... people liked it so much and it was so nice to watch that it gets too much credit for being mythical (nice word) and beautiful to watch. But teams nowadays are back to boring but effective.. because the reality is winning is what counts.

6. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    As I once read a quote from some NBA manager: in art, business, academia, or even in life, there is no clear cut way to tell who wins. But in sports the winner is the one lifting the trophy.

Two corrections: Brazil lost to Cubillas' Peru in the CA79. And for CA87, it was a completely different team than the ones that played WCs 82 and 86.

7. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    79 was to paraguay on the semis, lost 2x1 then tied 2x2

86 was the last year of some of the 82 players. like the 2006 Brazil team was the last year of some of the 1998 team

8. elviejomen

elviejomen Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hasbrouck Heights NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I thought the most impressive Brasilian team was the 1970...

9. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    my meaning was that none of the Brazilian teams that have won the world cup since have impressed like that Brazilian team did.

10. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Yeah ... since 82. 86 that's correct, as Brazil eventually changed their style to more efficient than entertaining..

11. barca_boy03

barca_boy03 Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    yeap. proves how formidable they are

12. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
  13. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    It's so funny ... and not far off from reality though ...
    Roanldinho's red card at WC02 56th minutes was so debatable as well , maybe the ref was "routed" for England to win that game ... LOL