PBP: Most Overrated Country in World Football and why?

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by Idolg1982, Apr 12, 2011.

?

Most Overrated Country

Poll closed Apr 6, 2012.
  1. Russia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. England

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. USA

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Mexico

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Turkey

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Portugal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Ireland

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Greece

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Italy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    Germany.......they haven't let in 4 goals in a WC qualifier since......England stuffed 5 past 'em in a WC qualifier.:ROFLMAO:

2. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    who cares about concacaf, US spends their resources on other sports and Mexico has gotten better but they are still economically behind Europe (yes that does factor into creating better players)

... we're debating UEFA vs CONMEBOL

actually we're debating overrated teams...

3. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Different times my friend, Mexico now has a lot of people travelling to see their games, same goes to the U.S. it pays to have those 2 play at a WC.

4. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    With this I agree, Brazil of WC82 is one of the greatest teams not to win a WC.

How do you know that the majority of experts and fans think this way? I have never seen an official poll about what would be the result of another match between these two teams. Anyways, the nature of cup competition is rising on the occasion, it also incorporates the "choking factor", so playing another match is irrelevant to the discussion.

The Brazilian possession was only in midfield, every time they got deep in Italian territory, they were forced to back the ball or ended losing it. Other than the two goals they scored, they only had two other clear chances: Serginho breaking through but fumbling the ball, and the Falcao header saved at the line by Zoff. Italy also scored another goal which was incorrectly disallowed at the end.

5. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    I don't think anybody in Brazil sees this as a great success. We talk about a huge failure they were.

6. barca_boy03

barca_boy03 Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I have to agree with you in that Barca & Real Madrid are the top teams of Europe, but i think they're not as high above as many bookies would like us to think they are. And again, i have to agree with you, a lot of the traditional big teams in Europe are at the same level as many of South America's own.

7. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    sleep posting.... I meant conmebol

8. norwaysoccergirl

norwaysoccergirl New Member

Oct 17, 2012
    Club:
    Rosenborg BK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    I think that France was quite overrated for the last years, but I was quite surprised they managed a 1:1 draw against Spain

9. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Last minute too. plus they just lost in Paris to Japan

10. ruhrpott dackel

Oct 1, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    In a period now covering 80 years germany has lost a grand total of 2 world cup qualifiers in their entire history....still never been beaten in an away wc qualifier....but yes its true, occasionally teams do manage to score against them

11. snahdog

snahdog Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Atlanta
    That was deliberate long term planning by the Germans: further raise English confidence and then enjoy the show when they fall short of expectations again.

12. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Never said it was a success if you follow the discussion is about a team that losses to another team but still is considered better than the team they lost to.

[]__[]

13. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Brazil WC82 is not a better team than Italy WC82 anyhow, Italy has the advantage in the gk/defense and forwards, only in midfield did Brazil have a slight edge. The result justifies the potential of each team, ultimately.

14. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    ...they was no world cup qualifying tournament in 1932.....

15. cloak

cloak Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Russia is damn good, i believe they will open some eyes in 2014 and 2018. i think that Portugal home draw to Northern Ireland has all but locked them into the playoff.

I'd put 10 as:
    [1] spain
    [2] germany
    [4] argentina
    [6] netherlands
    [12] russia
    [14] brazil
    [7] uruguay
    [9] colombia
    [8] italy
    [3] portugal

16. ruhrpott dackel

Oct 1, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    germany played their first wc qualifier in 1933....they play their next wc qualifier in 2013.
    give it a few months and we have 80 years

17. ruhrpott dackel

Oct 1, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    i stand corrected...just checked and their first wc qualifier was actually in 1934, a 9-1 win in luxembourg.
    so its 2 defeats in a perod covering something like 78 to 79 years.

18. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    once again... Italy 82 did NOT have midfield as they played catencaccio = by pass midfield qith quick counter directly to forward in a 5 3 1 1

Brazil82 were among the best in attack (creating and possession) while Italy were among the best (if not the BEST) in defense at WC history.

19. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Once again that's your opinion but brazil 82 team is considered by many as one of the best of all time and the Italy of 82 is never mentioned. Just watch most soccer shows around the world and you'll realize it.

[]__[]

20. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That's not how proper catennacio is played, it involves defending and counterattacking in all zones, including midfield. Conti, Tardelli, Gentile are among the best of all-time at their midfield positions.

Italy is never mentioned because the won the WC, they are mentioned amongst the WC winners, whereas the context of Brazil 82 is one of the greatest, or the greatest, side not to win the WC.

Who's that in you avatar, Roberto Clemente? Stick to baseball and cuchifritos.

21. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    I much rather be in Italy's shoes that year...

So sad that people like speculating more than actual trophies... Do you teach your kids that it's more important to look good instead of winning? Guarantee you guys don't take this way of life into your workplace... how come it's acceptable here?

22. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

82 Italy team is not one of the greatest team in history even though they won the world cup. Brazil 82 team is considered one of the greatest ever regardless of the fact they lost in the finals.

[]__[]

23. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    I still rather be Italian in 1982... and if I ask the Italians.. I think they would also rather be Italians

24. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I agree with you, Italy 82 > Brazil 82. You should ask the question to the poster below:

Maybe FIFA should have cancelled the tournament then.

25. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    that's not the point.. of course italy was happier because they won and results is all that matters... but the point is the best team doesnt always win simple as that

[]__[]