Most influential footballers

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by schafer, Jul 4, 2005.

1. schafer

schafer Member+

Mar 12, 2004
    This is a thread to list your personal list of who you think are the most influential footballers playing right now. Not necessarily the most talented, but those who have an ability to sway a match in their team's favour. Most lists will probably include talented players, but try to think outside the box. Some that I would include (not a complete list) would be:

Makelele
    Nedved
    Ronaldinho
    Rooney
    Gilberto Silva (for Arsenal, maybe not Brazil)
    Henry
    Pirlo
    Riquelme
    Terry
    Gravesen
    Adriano
    Ballack
    Bergkamp
    Nesta

2. Hartfield

Hartfield Red Card

Jun 15, 2005
    Bogota D.C
    influential???.... if a player is not talented then he's not influential. you should ask what coach is influential.

3. dﮥnny

dﮥnny New Member

Mar 26, 2005
    US
    Zola and C. Lucarelli

4. gomez

gomez New Member

Jan 27, 2005
    Fowler's rich ass

5. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  6. Germanshepherd

Germanshepherd New Member

May 19, 2003
    Rostock, Deutschland
    Kahn. With his win of the Golden boot at the 2002 World Cup he lifted the goalkeepers standing inside the game on another level.

7. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    I love Bergkamp and think he's got a year or two of top-drawer football ahead of him, but the days in which he could influence the direction of a game are mostly behind him. When Henry is on fire, so is the whole team. When Bergkamp is on fire, it's not always the case that the rest of the team is as well.

8. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    But how many games in which Bergkamp is on fire are won?

Exactly.

9. schafer

schafer Member+

Mar 12, 2004

I disagree. If I understand what you are saying, then by your logic, Denilson is more influential than Makelele, which he clearly is not. Talent may and usually does determine how influential a player is, but not always. Look at Steven Gerrard. Not the most technically gifted player in the world (he is good technically, but he's no Zidane), and he is sometimes criticized for bad decision making, yet his character and inspiration helped Liverpool to a CL victory. That is what I meant by influential.

10. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart

This is a good example of a player who is not among the most talented, but who can turn a game by will alone. He was very important for Bayern, but with Ballack they found a perfect successor.

11. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yes...Effenberg was the best example of a true leader that I can think of back when they won the CL....his leadership during that season and run was simple unmatched in a very long time.

Ballack isn't on the same par with Effe yet when it comes to leadership but he has certainly found his place this past season and can only get better.

12. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    And neither of them come anywhere near Roy Keane. :D

13. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Sounds like you think dribbling ability = talent. I'll take Makelele's passing, positioning and tackling among other skills over Denilson's dribbling as a better talent any day.

14. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Nonsense. Schmeichel's role in Denmark's Euro win was clearly more important.

15. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004
    STEVEN GERRARD, The most influencial player in the world. He single handidly got Liverpool the Champions League throphy (with help from the supporting cast). That Final was probibly the best game of his career, its not even the fact that he started the come back. Its just that when AC Milan were trying to take the game, he was everywhere on the pitch. And he isnt even THAT brilliant a player, he is not the best passer, dribbler, or goal scorer. But he has a mixture off all those qualities and his influence on the pitch, with the fans, and even in the dressing room cannot be matched. I would call him the new Roy Keane but that would be in insult to Gerrard. :p

16. filiusterrae

filiusterrae Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Hierro when he was at real - seemed like entirely different teams depending on whether or not he was on the field.

17. slidingtackleCOM

slidingtackleCOM New Member

Jul 3, 2005
    No way IMO. I don't think it was the golden boot he won anyway (that is for top scorer), i thought he won player of the tournament. Even during the final against Brazil he made a couple of fumbles and was at fault for one of the goals.