Most impressive world records

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Cruickinator, Sep 4, 2002.

1. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Wilt Chamberlin - Lots and Lots of girls

Perhaps not a record, but impressive nontheless :D

2. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Jerry Rice's all-time TD record..... he is a wide receiver and wide receivers are not supposed to hold the record.

3. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    I don't want to stop your spirit, but most all time records have a reason. I mean, e.g. Gerd Müller's record stats in the German Bundesliga look impressive (365 goals, 40 in one season, 14 goals in 13 WC games, something like 68 goals in 63 national games) - but they all have a reason and can't be transferred to the present (in case of Müller: offside rule invented, athletic game - no coach would dress a player type like him today).

An exception is Wayne Gretzky - he indeed is the Great One. But also there you can see how much the game changed e.g. by the low goals against average of the early goalies. In fact NHL records before the big extension in the late 70s and early 80s are not comparable with today.

4. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    That is not a world record though. It's not even Brazilian record.

5. Megatron

Megatron New Member

Jul 4, 2002
    Chicago
    What about Nolan Ryan's 5,714 strikeouts!They say never say never, but I think this record will never be broken.

I also think Bruce Matthews formerly of the Tennessee Titans, has a pretty impressive record too.Doesn't he hold the record for most seasons as a non-kicker/punter with like 17 seasons?

6. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    Dude was older then the COACH!!

7. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Bruce Matthews' brother Clay, a LB, played 19 seasons I believe. Jackie Slater, an OL, played 20. What's impressive about Matthews is that he never missed a game due to injury.

I second that Ryan's K record will never be broken. Guys just won't pitch that long anymore. Even the Big Unit is still 2000 Ks from it.

8. whirlwind

whirlwind New Member

Apr 4, 2000
    Plymouth, MI, USA
    Nobody's going to catch Nolan Ryan's 5 no-hitters, either.

9. eric d

eric d Member

Sep 9, 1998
    Johnny Van Der Meer

Back To Back No Hitters

10. eric d

eric d Member

Sep 9, 1998
    1950-1951 CCNY Winning the NCAA and the NIT in the same year.

11. ToddP25

ToddP25 Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Richmond, VA
    I think its 7 and I also think that someone will get that one.......league is so diluted of talent that I don't see many of the 'old' records lasting....I agree on the longevity records though...don't see Ryans K record getting beaten......ever......

12. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good one. Forgot about that.

5 HRs in a game, by one player? 4 HRs, Mark Whiten was the last player I believe.

13. eric d

eric d Member

Sep 9, 1998

Cameron did it this year.

14. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    5 HRs in a game? You s h i t t i n moi?

NH's tonite or do you got tix to the Jints at GS?

15. eric d

eric d Member

Sep 9, 1998
    No Cam hit 4 against the ChiSox I believe. Maybe Shawn Green as well.

No ticks to the game. Might do NH. Or might stay home wheel the second tv in and watch both at once.

16. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to NHs.

17. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    Re: Re: Most impressive world records

This one is absolutely the greatest. Some records like Chamberlain's 100 will never fall because the game has fundamentally changed. Players aren't hitting much differently (for average anyway) from DiMaggio's era to today. Stephen J. Gould had an essay which broke down the statistical improbability of this happening and it went something like this:

Assume a league of nothing but .300 hitters. Assume all of them get 4 official ABs a game and aren't pitched around. Also assume there are no injuries. Someone would come along in a few hundred years to break the record.

18. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jim Ryun's 3:51.3 in 1966 ranks as one of the great marks. He was 19 at the time, and ran this time on a cinder track, smashing the world record by 2 seconds. As it was the record lasted until 1975. Had he run it on an all-weather track, it's fair to say he would have run under 3:50.

And his high school mile record of 3:55 lasted 36 years. Webb-can't remember his first name-broke it last year.