Most feared team

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Sport Billy, Aug 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Right now, I'd have to say the Cardinals are the most feared team in Baseball. I just don't know if they can stay hot as the playoffs are a long way away.

The Phillies offense is also feared, but having a hitter friendly park becomes irrelevant come post-season.

Which team do you fear the most?

2. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the Yankees and Dodgers are the two best teams right now and it frickin' pains me to say that.

3. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me, the Yanks and Phils.

Phils because I've followed this team for the last few years and it was evident that they were going to be good. They have heart and some pretty big ********in bats in the lineup. They step up to the challenge and never count themselves out. Coming from a Met fan, believe me, you don't wanna ******** with these guys.

Yankees because Cashman finally got it right. Yeah, they always spent money, but for almost a decade, it hasn't amounted to anything. This offseason, Cashman said, "******** it" and went nuts like a Great Neck housewife hitting up Americana Shopping Center. C'mon, with that talent, they have to win, right?

I guess the big question is, does can heart overcome talent? I think the Yankees are a better team but the Phils have been there before and seem like the ultimate "team" where every single guy likes each other. Whether that's true, I have no clue. And I don't know if the Yankees have that chemistry, yet. But who knows, it may not matter. Because in this hypothetical World Series situation, I hope a meteor crashes the Earth and saves us all from that despair.

Thanks!

4. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Interesting considering they were unbeaten in that hitter friendly park last year in the post season. Oh, they also won this thing called the World Series last year?

Also interesting given that Cliff Lee, Happ, Blanton, and Hamels all have shown at various times they can pitch well and win in that ballpark.

Oh sorry, am I interrupting amateur hour?

5. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I fear the Sept 13th doubleheader vs the Mets.

6. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But......why?

7. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because we are the new Marlins! Rawk!

8. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, did you know the Marlins play in Land Shark Stadium? And in The Old Man and the Sea, the sharks ate the marlin? HA! CRAZY!!!!

9. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Looks like one of those games will feature the return of John Maine.

10. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Who is 20-0 with a 0.13 whip against the Phils career.

Luckily we feature the return of Kyle Kendrick.

11. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Definitely the Yankees are the most feared. Most of the teams joining them in the playoffs have scored 100+ fewer runs than NYY. Plus they have solid starting pitching and the best closer in the game still.

If teams were able to choose who they could play in the first round of the playoffs, the Yankees would probably be everyone's last choice.

12. juvefe2

juvefe2 New Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    not saying the yanks are not a powerhouse this year but you think they have solid starting pitching?? CC has been great, Andy has been Andy and other then that there's a big ? around AJ Burnett and Joba. AJ has been terrible since the all star break and Joba needs to get his head straight if he wants to be that #4 starter come October.

13. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't need a #4 in October.

14. juvefe2

juvefe2 New Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Club:
    Juventus FC

yeah but you need a #3 and right now the way AJ is pitching who knows how reliable he'll be

15. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    In a 7 game series, most teams go with a #4 starter.

I think you have to say the Yankees are the most feared, though I'd agree with the above that their rotation looks shaky. Even C.C. has question marks given his postseason record in the past. Burnett and Joba just look lost half the time, and Andy is aging and has a sore shoulder. Still, they've got that offense and the Hughes/Rivera tandem at the end of games.

Next is probably the Cardinals who look a lot scarier with Holliday in that lineup. Wainwright and Carpenter could easily pull some Unit/Schilling circa '01 and just shut everyone down.

I'd put the Red Sox and Phillies tied just behind those two, with the Dodgers and the Angels another step back.

16. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say the Phillies, Red Sox, Yankees and the Padres. Okay not the Padres, but it'd be nice if they were successful again this year.

17. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesus, what's with the dumpster diving?