Most elegant footballers

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by brassmonkey, Feb 27, 2007.

1. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The coolest footballer of all time.

2. Martininho

Martininho Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's DOCTOR Sócrates Brasileiro Sampaio de Souza Vieira de Oliveira to you, young man. ;)

3. Volrath

Volrath Member

Jun 28, 2007
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aximpPeEV3Q"]YouTube- Juan Román Riquelme - A Salty Dog - Esoesgallo[/ame]

4. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Beckenbauer was a very elegant player. Here's an example of his way of defending. One rarely sees a defender solving a situation in his own penalty box with that sort of effortless ease and calmness.

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKjOrH7FkpM[/ame]

5. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    I've always loved Beckenbauer's style, but that lunge after he touches the ball would prompt a modern day player to flop to the ground and a consequent penalty.

6. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think the definition of elegance in football is subjective. Growing up, I thought Matthias Sammer was fantastic. He was great in all areas of the field. He didn't have the flash of a Ronaldo, but he was simple and effective. He was the first footballer I studied closely and tried to imitate.

[​IMG]

7. BaltimoreCP

BaltimoreCP New Member

Jun 26, 2010
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Crystal Palace Baltimore
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. artes33

artes33 Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Beckenbauer, Krol, Platini, Socrates, Falcao, Van Basten, Baggio, Zidane the most elegant.

9. Don Nurilio

Don Nurilio Member

Sep 28, 2009
    E u r o p e
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Michael Laudrup ...

10. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    one rarely has that much time in that sort of situation anymore

11. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    I disagree. It's not like he has ages of time in that scene. It's just a few seconds. One could show hundreds of scenes from today lasting the same few seconds.

12. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don't think anyone beats beckenbauer for making running and moving all directions with the ball look so effortless

13. zenden

zenden Member+

Nov 12, 2006
    yo estoy en Europa
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    class in a glass

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu1VlROALUA"]YouTube- Rafael Marquez 08/09 Compilation ~The mexicano~ // By Sjurinho[/ame]

14. benito camelpene

May 31, 2003
    miami
    Michael Laudrup

15. Don Nurilio

Don Nurilio Member

Sep 28, 2009
    E u r o p e
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Im glad we agree :p

Michael Laudrup was ridiculous back in the days, i remember watching him as a kid. For me one of the best footballers in the 90's, his movement, vision, ability to make precision passes. A true gentleman on the field.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oXH8F-MGpU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oXH8F-MGpU[/ame]

16. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    [What about "Nobby" Stiles? ;)]

17. Martininho

Martininho Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NOBBY! Possibly the actual model for Wallace, of "Wallace & Gromit" fame....

with a few harsh tackles thrown in, of course!

Any Wensleydale left?

18. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    [How well would Wallace & Bobby Charlton have paired up in midfield for Utd. & England? ;)]

19. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Mr. Elías Figueroa from Chile.

3 consecutive years chosen as the best South American player (1974, 1975 and 1976) ( In those years till 1995, the Golden Ball was reserved only for European players, and the best South American player award was its equivalent for those years before that date).

He was recognized by Mr. Beckenbauer (also one of the best of all times), as the best in their same position in the field.
    :cool:

20. benito camelpene

May 31, 2003
    miami
    One of my favorite footballers for the qualities that you mentioned. His name was the first one I thought of when I saw the title of this thread. Rated highly by his teammates and opponents but not mentioned enough when talking about the best players of the 90's, imo. Also a competent football manager. I'm happy to see him coaching Mallorca as I enjoyed the football that Getafe played while he coached them.

21. tony99508

tony99508 Member

Aug 18, 2008
    Dimitar Ivanov Berbatov

22. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Talking about quotes by Mr Beckenbauer, and about Michael Laudrup:
    "Pelé was the best in the 60s, Cruyff in the 70s, Maradona in the 80s and Laudrup in the 90s"
    Another candidate for this topic who was acclaimed by an all-time great is Dragan Dzajic, who Pele said should have been Brazilian (though he did leave him out of his Fifa 100 interestingly)
    I would probably select Michael Laudrup myself, along with Zico. Both were very elegant though they were different in height and build, and also slightly in style of play.
    Oh, Cruyff as well definately.
    He certainly has inspirational moments of elegance eg his overhead goal against Liverpool yesterday, his drag-back assist against West Ham a couple of years ago.

23. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich

I've seen a number of Beckenbauer quotes surface on BigSoccer recently. Most of which I have never heard of outside of BigSoccer. The latest one is his alleged remark towards Best and Dzajic in 1968. One must be careful with these quotes.

24. Triton

Triton Member

Apr 27, 2009
    I don't know if that quote was actually said by Franz, but in the following Serbian page about Dragan's life you have a Beckenbauer's commentary about his 1968 form, where he is saying that Dragan should have won the Ballon d'Or instead of George Best that year.

Such a comment is obviously controversial and perhaps Franz never said that, but still, he is known for his modesty and phrases where he praises other great players...

http://icko1610.bloger.hr/post/legende-yu-fudbala--dragan-dzajic/887345.aspx

25. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    As far as elegant defenders are concerned, Beckenbauer probably takes the cake but I think Gaetano Scirea warrants mention. A very graceful, elegant defender, IMO.